Samsung just killed Apple's Monitor ambition

OM_2K19

The review of the Dell QD-OLED monitor is coming up, and it's promising. It has got all the bells and whistles, and the pricing seems too good. I wonder if anyone will even consider buying a ridiculously priced Apple's IPS monitor (3k for the new studio display, fully loaded) when they can have way better performance for half of the price. Feel free to share your thoughts...

Nothing compared to Apple with any other in PC segment ( why cant monitor too).. My Macbook Air is perfectly running for last 9 years, but my daughter has changed her windows based PC or Laptop in last 6 years thrice due to some hardware failure or screen failure.

May be i am not a fan of Iphone due to its limitation on app and later it will get slowdown on upgrading to next IOS. But sure fan of Macbook and Imac.

Nothing compared to Apple with any other in PC segment ( why cant monitor too).. My Macbook Air is perfectly running for last 9 years, but my daughter has changed her windows based PC or Laptop in last 6 years thrice due to some hardware failure or screen failure.

May be i am not a fan of Iphone due to its limitation on app and later it will get slowdown on upgrading to next IOS. But sure fan of Macbook and Imac.
Since 2008, I have lost 3 Macbooks, my Dell Inspiron 6400 purchased in 2008 still runs without issues. I have two two other Dell laptops (one a decade old and another 6 years) both running fine. My wife and daughter have non MAc laptops which are going great.
Experiences vary.
My nephew's Macbook though is still running fine since last 8 odd years.

Ultimately you will get your money's worth and none of the Apple products in my opinion are Value for Money. You can get far better alternatives in the price. One exception I would though give is to the iPads, but they become useless within 5 /6 years due to lack of OS upgrades support.

Since 2008, I have lost 3 Macbooks, my Dell Inspiron 6400 purchased in 2008 still runs without issues. I have two two other Dell laptops (one a decade old and another 6 years) both running fine. My wife and daughter have non MAc laptops which are going great.
Experiences vary.
My nephew's Macbook though is still running fine since last 8 odd years.

Ultimately you will get your money's worth and none of the Apple products in my opinion are Value for Money. You can get far better alternatives in the price. One exception I would though give is to the iPads, but they become useless within 5 /6 years due to lack of OS upgrades support.

You lost your 3 macbooks and how is it apple's problem?

I think by lost he meant they went kaput.
Which is something very odd indeed.

One I could have understood. But 3 ?!

The review of the Dell QD-OLED monitor is coming up, and it's promising. It has got all the bells and whistles, and the pricing seems too good. I wonder if anyone will even consider buying a ridiculously priced Apple's IPS monitor (3k for the new studio display, fully loaded) when they can have way better performance for half of the price. Feel free to share your thoughts...

Are you talking about apple studio display? It is a single variant priced at 1.6k right?
Even costly at the price.
The last intel imac sold for 1.5k for the entire pc. That is the most value for money product I have seen from apple.

Gaming monitors and studio use monitors are quite different. There are already competitive products in the studio ecosystem (LG comes to mind). A gaming targeted ultrawide doesnt really change the ecosystem. OLED monitors targeted for Studio use with standard widescreen ratio may change that (again LG has a new one but at $3k).
By that same logic , no one should have bought iPhones the last few years when specwise Android flagship phones offered better for lesser.
I would disagree. For each generation, Iphone chips are better but other features are weaker. The real value comes from support - my Iphone 6s retired this year and still has the latest OS. In the same period I went through three Android phones. If looking at flagships, avoid Android as OS updates stop after 3 years. That is fine for a 15-20k phone, not a flagship.

Gaming monitors and studio use monitors are quite different. There are already competitive products in the studio ecosystem (LG comes to mind). A gaming targeted ultrawide doesnt really change the ecosystem. OLED monitors targeted for Studio use with standard widescreen ratio may change that (again LG has a new one but at $3k).

I would disagree. For each generation, Iphone chips are better but other features are weaker. The real value comes from support - my Iphone 6s retired this year and still has the latest OS. In the same period I went through three Android phones. If looking at flagships, avoid Android as OS updates stop after 3 years. That is fine for a 15-20k phone, not a flagship.
even today's app from google play store run on android that came 10+ years ago...yes, android versions are not updated but an older version of android is still fully functional which is not the case for older version of ios

apple on the other hand keeps locking out older versions of ios...for example on my apple ipad they wont let me update post ios 12 and they have locked all apps to be ios 15+ even basic ones like gmail keep apple music..

in other words, they want to force you to get a new device whereas you can very well use android 4.4 on most of the apps even today

So my ipad is now useless as good as a paperweight because apple made it so...this is there version of go green...even now I have my google nexus 5 which works perfectly fine...how do I care if it shows an older version of android...why does that number matter to me?

For security yes, security updates matter but I keep an antivirus,firewall and pizero to block out most attacks at the source

Going by the number of such threads, I am curious to know Why does Apple elicit such strong emotional responses from everyone 😆

Like any other company, they have a mix of products ranging from overpriced (and yes, this monitor likely is one) to reasonable (say ipad pros or the mac studio) to very high VFM (e.g. MBA, ipad air)

Every major tech product company has such overpriced products in their portfolio (surface studio anyone?) - but you never get to see threads on those :rolleyes:

even today's app from google play store run on android that came 10+ years ago...yes, android versions are not updated but an older version of android is still fully functional which is not the case for older version of ios

apple on the other hand keeps locking out older versions of ios...for example on my apple ipad they wont let me update post ios 12 and they have locked all apps to be ios 15+ even basic ones like gmail keep apple music..

in other words, they want to force you to get a new device whereas you can very well use android 4.4 on most of the apps even today

So my ipad is now useless as good as a paperweight because apple made it so...this is there version of go green...even now I have my google nexus 5 which works perfectly fine...how do I care if it shows an older version of android...why does that number matter to me?

For security yes, security updates matter but I keep an antivirus,firewall and pizero to block out most attacks at the source
Fair point. For me, not having security updates is a big deal - particularly on mobile devices which are designed to be always online. This matters more than having access to older apps. For someone else, the priority could be different.

We're majorly confusing different animals here and ranting about them in the same breath as if they were the same:

Animal 1 - the hardware manufacturer
Animal 2 - the OS manufacturer
Animal 3 - the proprietary hardware + OS manufacturer

o_O :p o_O

I ran a company and many macbook ssds used to go kaput frequently, especially those used for heavy graphic designing work. My own mac mini, macbook pro from 2012 are still running strong. But my 2 year old macbook pro is showing some graphics display issue. But non of my dell laptops have physically withstood the daily use that the macbooks can withstand. Unlike the macs, they will have broken hinges, broken plastic here and there, keyboard letters all gone.

Also it is not just about the fit & finish and the sturdy hardware. I consider Windows a totally unusable crapware that sucks out the power out of your CPU and disk IO. Samsung, Dell, Microsoft and others cannot ever dream of beating apple on the OS front. The only OS I consider better than OSX is Linux. You will find windows crashing often, and very rarely Mac OSX. but since the last 10 years, I have never had even one crash of my Fedora OS on my dell laptop.

Last edited:
I ran a company and many macbook ssds used to go kaput frequently, especially those used for heavy graphic designing work. My own mac mini, macbook pro from 2012 are still running strong. But my 2 year old macbook pro is showing some graphics display issue. But non of my dell laptops have physically withstood the daily use that the macbooks can withstand. Unlike the macs, they will have broken hinges, broken plastic here and there, keyboard letters all gone.

Also it is not just about the fit & finish and the sturdy hardware. I consider Windows a totally unusable crapware that sucks out the power out of your CPU and disk IO. Samsung, Dell, Microsoft and others cannot ever dream of beating apple on the OS front. The only OS I consider better than OSX is Linux. You will find windows crashing often, and very rarely Mac OSX. but since the last 10 years, I have never had even one crash of my Fedora OS on my dell laptop.
Yes you nailed it about OS which I forgot to mention and never ever had a single crash in Macbook air.

After just one ipad - the first one, I decided apple is not for me! Too restrictive.
Re. Windows laptops - life and performance is totally dependent on the brand - an abused, battered vaio lasted for 9+ years had to be discarded not for any hardware failure, but inability to support HD-Audio.
Couple of lenovos lasted just under 5 years each. MSI gaming laptop literally burnt out after 3 years.

As an OS - do not like windows, tried linux and gave up. Difficult to break a habit of 27 years!

Last edited:
The idea was that we would discuss the new QD-OLED pannel and how it can challenge Apple's Studio display line both in terms of price and performance. Still, unfortunately, it's turning into another Apple vs. Windows discussion. :(

The idea was that we would discuss the new QD-OLED pannel and how it can challenge Apple's Studio display line both in terms of price and performance. Still, unfortunately, it's turning into another Apple vs. Windows discussion. :(
When there's nothing to say, the goalpost needs shifting and then suddenly everyone has something to say.

:rolleyes: :p

For that we will have to wait and watch how it actually performs..
FOr some weird reason , people have major biases when it comes to display tech so I dont see how a discussion on displays here will ever yield anything meaningful 🤣.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back