Samsung Plasma 51F5500 Owners Thread /Reviews/Discussions!!

harshi_n

I just noticed there is no owners thread for Samsung PLasma 51F5500
I also wanted to put in my review,post pics and clarify my doubts :)

Plasma Decision:
I waS always a plasma fan and wanted to go for one.
Needless to say as per the forums panasonic would have been the ideal choice like plasma UT50, ST50 etc..
But my budget was limited as I have future plans to add projector.
With a 70-80k budget ,the option was either 40" led or 50" plasma.
I got to know from the dealer last month that samsung the 51F5500 will be released next month and has good features.
Finally few days back got to know it is launched, I wanted to check it out but could not find it even in samsung showooms.
I did a little bit of research and found it to be right fit and just bought it.

TV:
The TV is quite slim and very happy with the PQ and its features.
I had few concerns on picture fading out in bright lights but luckily my living room is quite dark and I
faced no such issue.

Smart TV features :

Before buying I thought it is not a deal breaker and I will not be using it often the so called SMART TV.
But boy I was wrong , the smart TV features are really good and quite useful.
I think what works here is dual core processor which works with no delay and internet access is very fast.
Plex is a killer app. I stream my content from my laptop ( pics posted ) looks stunning and the 1080p content streams without a lag.
I can say the TV is worth only for this feature not exaggerating there are lot of reviews out there which mentions about it.
Apart from that , youtube video streaming and active 3D videos from samsung works like a dream with my 8 Mbps Airtel connection.
I'm sure I will be using Skype in future once I buy my skype camera.

3D:
The videos looks great and depth is good.
I watched few IMAX documentaries , movies, videos etcc.. pretty happy with the performance.

Accessories and remote:
The smart remote ( attached pic )is very sleek and a classy performer.
It was very thoughtful of samsung to provide it in these models which makes it a very good value for money deal.
I got 2 3D glasses free and ordered another 2 glasses from Ebay @ 1500.
I already have bluray player and Denon 1312xp which complements well with the TV

Help needed from Experts :

1) I read a lot on burn-in in plasmas so made my settings as in the attached pic.I also keep watching varied content.
How long do i need to keep my brightness and contrast less than 50 , its quite annoying to wait ?
We have a menu ( attached pic ) in TV to avoid this issue ? how to use it ? will using only this feature wont suffice?

2) The TV is wall mounted ( attached pic ).Even though the TV is about 2" the wall mount occupies 2".
So totally TV protrudes by 4" from the wall.I need to add my projector screen so if that comes over the TV .It will be like 6" which might look ugly.
Are there any other wall mount/ideas so I can push my TV back and drop my projector screen at 4 " ?

3) Any other settings or precautions to be taken ? Please comment.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 1,844
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 1,815
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 1,804
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 1,802
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 1,796
Last edited:
I was waiting for someone to review the F5500 since it is fairly new and not many reviews online. Great buy...........congrats!!!

Help needed from Experts :

1) I read a lot on burn-in in plasmas so made my settings as in the attached pic.I also keep watching varied content.
How long do i need to keep my brightness and contrast less than 50 , its quite annoying to wait ?
We have a menu ( attached pic ) in TV to avoid this issue ? how to use it ? will using only this feature wont suffice?

2) The TV is wall mounted ( attached pic ).Even though the TV is about 2" the wall mount occupies 2".
So totally TV protrudes by 4" from the wall.I need to add my projector screen so if that comes over the TV .It will be like 6" which might look ugly.
Are there any other wall mount/ideas so I can push my TV back and drop my projector screen at 4 " ?

3) Any other settings or precautions to be taken ? Please comment.

1) Read the thread: Prevent Image Retention and Burn-in
a) Basically be extra vigilant in the first 200 hours and careful later
b) In the first 200 hours, watch in zoom mode to push out the channel/dth logos and use full screen to watch letterbox movies
c) Use pixel orbiter or the equivalent function - turn it on always

2) You are right. The projector screen will have to be at least 1" in front of the TV. If it is possible, build a ceiling to floor false wall with a recess for TV. If you do this, ensure that there is a clear gap 2" or more across the TV perimeter for ventillation.

3) Other than IR protection, you can invest in voltage spike guard and stabilizer.

Planning to buy the same TV sometime next month (shifting house).
This is a good review, how much did you get it for, there were some discounts from Samsung recently with cashback did you go for that?
Currently in Bengaluru it is priced at 74k.

Can you check if it can play mkv, avi files from HDD, I see some TVs struggle with it.
Especially if it is like 720p or 1080p mkv.

How about the SD channels, does it come ok.
Have you tried out the 2d-3d conversion

This is a good review, how much did you get it for, there were some discounts from Samsung recently with cashback did you go for that?

Can you check if it can play mkv, avi files from HDD, I see some TVs struggle with it.

Sometimes renaming .mkv to .avi works fine.

1) Read the thread: Prevent Image Retention and Burn-in
a) Basically be extra vigilant in the first 200 hours and careful later
b) In the first 200 hours, watch in zoom mode to push out the channel/dth logos and use full screen to watch letterbox movies
c) Use pixel orbiter or the equivalent function - turn it on always

2) You are right. The projector screen will have to be at least 1" in front of the TV. If it is possible, build a ceiling to floor false wall with a recess for TV. If you do this, ensure that there is a clear gap 2" or more across the TV perimeter for ventillation.

3) Other than IR protection, you can invest in voltage spike guard and stabilizer.

1) Taking all care for the IR and burn -in . Regarding the Tatasky logo, it is transperent logo so shouldnt be a problem, I beleive.

2) " If it is possible, build a ceiling to floor false wall with a recess for TV."
Sorry I couldnt get what you wanted to convey.How it might look ?

3) Everything in place :)

Last edited:

Regarding the price I was able to get it for 68k as a exception since my company had a tie up with the dealer. But I know people who have got it for 70k. I beleive you can get it at that rate. The cash backs were not applicable on this model only on specific ones.

I have always played mkv ,avi from my blu ray player or by plex app. It works great.I will try to play directly with the USB and let you know.I think it should work with no issues.

Regarding SD, the salesman explained there is some clear-view technology ( not sure what it is called )which kind of upscales SD content so that it looks good on this TV. The viewing SD content is of no issues/problem.

Yes .I tried 2d-3d conversion .It does work but not great as a proper 3D format.

Last edited:
On point 2.

Build a 6" thick wall on existing wall where you wish to mount TV + screen. It is not necessary to build a brick wall - you can use wooden box also. The place where TV will be fit must be hollow. There should be a clear 2-3" gap on three sides of the TV and some 4" gap at the bottom edge. The wooden box must cover the entire wall. Paint the wooden box with the same colour as the rest of the wall. It will look as if you have 12" wall with a recess for the TV.

On point 2.

Build a 6" thick wall on existing wall where you wish to mount TV + screen. It is not necessary to build a brick wall - you can use wooden box also. The place where TV will be fit must be hollow. There should be a clear 2-3" gap on three sides of the TV and some 4" gap at the bottom edge. The wooden box must cover the entire wall. Paint the wooden box with the same colour as the rest of the wall. It will look as if you have 12" wall with a recess for the TV.

Ok I got it . thanks for the clarification.

Congratulations:clapping: did you check the panel usage? Since this remote is new I guess we can't use old approach . Experts plz suggest.

Excellent, thanks for details. I will go and check this in few shops this week.

--
Maddy

Regarding the price I was able to get it for 68k as a exception since my company had a tie up with the dealer. But I know people who have got it for 70k. I beleive you can get it at that rate. The cash backs were not applicable on this model only on specific ones.

I have always played mkv ,avi from my blu ray player or by plex app. It works great.I will try to play directly with the USB and let you know.I think it should work with no issues.

Regarding SD, the salesman explained there is some clear-view technology ( not sure what it is called )which kind of upscales SD content so that it looks good on this TV. The viewing SD content is of no issues/problem.

Yes .I tried 2d-3d conversion .It does work but not great as a proper 3D format.

Congratulations on you buy ,

Hey can you please comment on the 3D , normally i have checked at local dealers , 2D was good enough , but 3D seems to dull to me and what i presume that since they have used the normal content via USB the effect is coming dull .

Therefore requesting you to provide the feedback on 3D for some blu ray content :)

Congratulations on you buy ,

Hey can you please comment on the 3D , normally i have checked at local dealers , 2D was good enough , but 3D seems to dull to me and what i presume that since they have used the normal content via USB the effect is coming dull .

Therefore requesting you to provide the feedback on 3D for some blu ray content :)

I have checked all my 3D contents from playing back from USB of my Blu-ray player. It has amazing depth and good colors.The content I played varies from IMAX documentaries to movies like Hugo,How to train your dragon etc...

Did you try watching the same 3D content on other Tv's in the shop ?
Could you find any difference ?

Thanks for the feedback , Indeed no doubt there was lot of depth but only concern was the brightness , it was very low .. i believe via blue-ray player or right content it should be good enough .

I also demoed Sony HX850 .. and the 3D was phenomenonal .. content played to it was directly from Blu ray player . so i think that should be the difference .

Does it make difference playing 3D from USB via blu ray player and direct connect to TV , any comments ?

Thanks for the feedback , Indeed no doubt there was lot of depth but only concern was the brightness , it was very low .. i believe via blue-ray player or right content it should be good enough .

I also demoed Sony HX850 .. and the 3D was phenomenonal .. content played to it was directly from Blu ray player . so i think that should be the difference .

Does it make difference playing 3D from USB via blu ray player and direct connect to TV , any comments ?

Downloaded content is 3D SBS and is half resolution unlike 3D BD which is frame packed and full HD.

Congrats on ur purchase. Great tv. I'm contemplating on getting one for myself too. Before that I've 2 questions?

1. Does it have any kind of anti IR mechanism/software? This is going to be the biggest issue for me since mom n dad will also be using this tv and to make them understand how plasma s work and why is a daunting task.

2. Most of my hd contents are downloaded from sources like torrents (720p/1080p). So how does a decent 720p bluray rip (say 4-5gb) look on a 51 inch plasma?

2. Most of my hd contents are downloaded from sources like torrents (720p/1080p). So how does a decent 720p bluray rip (say 4-5gb) look on a 51 inch plasma?

i have a 46 Inch Sony LCD & most of the content (5 - 10 GB :eek:hyeah:) i play on them are thru WD Media player (or) thur XBMC.... They look brilliant if not phenomenal..:clapping:

So i presume it should look even more good on a 51 incher... Take you HDD & check them yourself....You will be extremely pleased...

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back