Samsung Serif (2020) - my views and opinions - not an expert review ;)

VRavichandar

Just a day's research and my son bought this Samsung Serif ‘QA43LS01T’ TV. We have been enjoying it for a week now. It is supposed to be a lifestyle product.

Reason for urgency: After 10 years of Panasonic flat screen TVs - the first one L42E30D gave a life of nearly 7 years and the second one Shinobi pro DS630D just three years. As both gave out within days of each other had to find a replacement :( Decided to switch brands.

Selection process!

Due to space constraints we can’t go more than 49 inches. High Command did not want anything larger than 43. Son felt QLED is cutting edge and wanted that. Had drooled at the picture quality of a Samsung QLED in a show room about a year earlier. It was priced way out of budget. I started with a 40k budget and had a look at some of the 4k TVs in that budget range nothing appealed. He came up with this model at 64k and a QLED at that and the temptation set in.

Next to no reviews for this model and most reviewers talked about Apple like design (anything white = apple design?) and the wow factor for them was it did not look like a traditional flat screen TV - rarely anything technical like contrast ratio, brightness, panel technology et al in any of the reviews! Everyone did mention awesome picture quality. So we were guided mostly by the Samsung given specifications.

Ordering delivery & Installation:

Ordered from Amazon. Delivery was swift - on the second day. This was because we ordered late in the day. Opted for open box inspection delivery. Confirmed that the TV is intact and the mentioned accessories are in the box. +1 for Amazon. The box contained the TV, the power cord, smart remote, batteries for the remote, user manual and regulatory guide. & cable organiser.

For those who like legs – this has a leggy floor stand (4 legs and a conduit to hide the cable), This TV cannot be wall mounted. Have never wall mounted any of my TVs so it is not a factor for me. Stand is screwed on to the base - so no requirement for an installation. The leggy stand rather than invoking a lifestyle feeling, it just reminded my of the first black and white dyanora televisions in a shuttered wooden stand from the dinosaur era.

(For those who have never seen one https://image.shutterstock.com/imag...on-isolated-clipping-path-600w-1664191957.jpg)

We decided to opt for the Samsung install, just to make sure everything is fine with the product. Samsung person turned up a few hours later. He mentioned that very few people buy this model and rest go with 'bigger the better' for the same price. He initially seemed not well versed, but appearances can be deceptive. He was just thorough! I appreciated that he asked for the manual and went through it quickly before doing anything. He set up the connections – just the power cable and a hdmi cable from AVR - HDMI 3 is the ARC port here. If you are interested in eARC - read on! A plate is provided for covering the back panel. Clean lines, no wires jutting out except from one place in the bottom of the TV. If you were using a floor stand, the wires would pass through a conduit along the legs. He paired the smart Remote control and the TV is ready. The tv is kept on a table top – it sits well – but a minimal wobble at the top – only if you test it. Played some 4k content, HDR content, tested sound, everything is fine. Signed him off and started exploring by ourselves. +1 for Samsung installation service.

Viewing experience:

In anticipation of the TV’s arrival - had downloaded some 4k & HDR content. My main source is a dedicated 8th gen i5 laptop with 1050ti gfx card. Making HDR work is a process! Not as easy as audio pass through! -1 for Windows10

Decided to test with preinstalled apps - Netflix, Amazon prime and Zee5 have dedicated buttons on the remote. Played some 4k+HDR10 videos from Youtube. Yet to figure out if the TV is playing HDR10+ or not! Minimalistic remote control and GUI on the TV. Truly Apple class! If you want to tweak anything - well NO - I mean you can't! There is no backlight adjustment.

There is one black level adjustment buried under external devices - but has three settings - low, normal & auto. A quick check showed that the auto defaults to normal and the screen is a wee bit washed out. Low was kind of enhancing the black level, but an explanation in a Samsung site says: Low sets the HDMI Black Level enhancement for deeper black level range. This seems counter-intuitive!

The remote has just about 12 buttons and a central circular selector and an OK/Enter button in the centre. It also has a mic and a button to activate it for voice controls. To its credit bixby is comfortable with my ‘ayyayyo’ accent!

For the past week we have been watching and enjoying this TV in daylight and night. Very happy with our choice. The picture quality is excellent. Happy with the natural skin tones, brightness, clarity and level of detail displayed. No judder, stutter, or uneven motion. Fast action scenes played out well and seemed natural – but need to test this with some action clips! The colour is DCI – P3 – 100%. (Flagship phones and laptops like Samsung Galaxy note, iPhone and Surface displays ship with this standard for the past 3-4 years it seems). Some people talk about the viewing angle for the 2019 model – but no issues at 4 o clock position.

Son played some recent demanding games. He is impressed with the ease with which the TV handled and displayed details and colours at 60 Hz.

TV’s sound is good – 4 speakers rated at 40w. Sound is not tinny, but not booming bassy either. Does not matter to me as all sound is routed through an AVR anyway. TV also has some Dolby modes I guess, did not try that though.

Specifications:

Quantum LED – HDR 10+, HLG,

Motion rate 100+, PQI 2800 (samsung’s marketing bs!)

4 hdmi inputs, 2 USB inputs, 1 composite, 1 optical out, 1 RF

eARC on HDMI 3

5GHz wireless connectivity

Sound output 40w 4 speakers

HDMI quick switch – yet to figure out what this means – I have a single HDMI connection to the TV at present

Anynet HDMI – CEC (while this switches off my AVR when powering down, it does not switch it on when powering up – yet to figure out this quirk)

Bluetooth 4.2 – (have not connected a BT headphone to see if the TV outputs audio)

NFC – two phones with NFC paired easily – for music playback only

WiFi Direct – yet to test this, but a screen mirroring was done by the Samsung tech to demonstrate.

DVB -2 digital and an analog tuner is also available – not tested

Alexa, Google Asst, Bixby compatible – the first two is mentioned as India only

Samsung Smart things and apps compatible – naturally!

There are a load of other features that I have not used / may not use at all!

e.g. tapview – tap your mobile to view pictures on your TV (delete those ahem… pics before you try this)

Multi-view: picture in picture! One picture has to be your phone? Yet to test

It has this ambient mode that displays “art” when chosen – no more just black screen – you can have art of your choice (limited to what Samsung provides?) – am not an artsy type and do not like to add to my power bill! Those who like this “life style” stuff can enjoy!

https://www.samsung.com/in/lifestyl...serif-4k-smart-tv-cloud-white-qa43ls01takxxl/

Pros

Extremely happy with the picture quality - even in a bright well lit (natural sunlight room) - clear pictures, excellent colours and quality. Skin tones are natural. Does not require tweaking for each source / content. Only when playing HDR – the picture has to be set to dynamic for better brightness. This is easily achieved through the voice control enabled remote rather than navigating through a multitude of buttons!

Darker rooms – the colours, picture quality, brightness, contrast everything is perfect and all of us enjoy the clear pictures, details that are visible. Thankfully the backlight bleed is minimal and does not spoil viewing experience. Blacks do seem black. In some scenes the creases on a black shirts were visible. So no crushing I guess. But I have not tested with a critical eye. Just enjoying the TV! If any of you want me to test a particular video and provide a feedback on how this TV handles black, happy to do that.

1080 upscales to UHD – the AI engine works well. Even some 720p videos looked good. My content is limited so far to youtube (both from TV & laptop), amazon prime (only from the TV app), 4k, 1080p, 720p files played from my laptop

TV audio output does not sound tinny - no booming bass either - sounds good enough for a flat screen

Samsung's Bixby voice control works for me and recognises and obeys what I ask it to do (ahem…)

Cons:

Cannot be wall mounted

Remote and GUI are ducking minimalistic - nothing is at the press of a button anymore – multiple button presses for even some seemingly simple tasks! No one-touch everything!

Remote is smart, you have to be smart too - to figure out what each button does and how to get what you want done!

Volume, channel change keys on the remote have a up/down rocker type key - does not feel sturdy enough

Grey areas:

Is it a 8 bit panel or 10 bit? In windows 10 nvidia control panel only 8 bit is enabled. HLG seems to indicate 10 bit, 4:4:4 4k60p

Not sure about HDMI port version – is it 2.1? Definitely supports 2.0b. My AVR and laptop are 2.0b

Not sure what kind of a panel is this! Based on some articles Samsung uses Dual LED for some of its QLED VA panels. Backlight seems to bleed from the edges occasionally – so is it edge lit?

How do I find what quality of content is being played – tv shows UHD & HDR only. No mention of HDR 10+

Dimming: specified as supreme UHD micro dimming by Samsung – what does this mean in the real world?! – I’m happy with the picture quality – but as many here in HFV are keen on dimming and seem to base their decisions on the type of dimming available, I just get curious! It does not seem to be FALD.

More pics and info to come as I learn more and other members comment!20201217_083403.jpg

Post biting bullet on the price offers for Frame TV last year and having had good experience, I was looking at adding the serif to one of the rooms but the inability to be wall mounted was the deal breaker as 4th bedroom is small-ish.

Agree on the remote rocker buttons being flimsy and I feel would be the first ones to break.

My bro bought it recently and it is good , but overpriced somewhat, as he got it for 100k, couple of months back, now it is 80k. Viewing angles are good, but no Dolby vision as is the case with all Samsung TVs. But looks good if you have the space.

Post biting bullet on the price offers for Frame TV last year and having had good experience, I was looking at adding the serif to one of the rooms but the inability to be wall mounted was the deal breaker as 4th bedroom is small-ish.

Agree on the remote rocker buttons being flimsy and I feel would be the first ones to break.
Why would you get the serif if you want to wall-mount it? Better to get the Frame in that case.

Lack of reviews killed this tv. Is it same as or better than the frame?
I saw one at croma and cant take the eyes off. Looks awesome.

Lack of reviews killed this tv. Is it same as or better than the frame?
I saw one at croma and cant take the eyes off. Looks awesome.
There are a few reviews - but not for the technically discerning! Add to that some are for 2019 model.

Using it for a month now. Overall I'm happy with the picture quality.
A few questions remain!
Unlike my earlier panasonic, turning this TV on did not turn on the connected Denon AVR (x2400H). It does turn of the AVR though when I switch off the TV. Proper settings enabled on both the TV and the AVR. Seems this is a samsung problem with the same complaint across different models. Seems samsung tv reverts to tv speakers as the sound output device every time it is powered down and does not remember the last set audio output device! Suggestions / remedies to overcome this are most welcome!

Using it for a month now. Overall I'm happy with the picture quality.
A few questions remain!
Unlike my earlier panasonic, turning this TV on did not turn on the connected Denon AVR (x2400H). It does turn of the AVR though when I switch off the TV. Proper settings enabled on both the TV and the AVR. Seems this is a samsung problem with the same complaint across different models. Seems samsung tv reverts to tv speakers as the sound output device every time it is powered down and does not remember the last set audio output device! Suggestions / remedies to overcome this are most welcome!
Hi. I just got my parents a Frame 2020 50" inch. I have connected it to an old Samsung Soundbar using HDMI ARC, it seems to be working flawlessly for me. It did revert to TV speakers one time when I connected it to my Bluetooth earphones but I think that was because the battery of the earphones died. It certainly does remember the last set audio output device for me. I can share what my settings look like in a bit

Hi. I just got my parents a Frame 2020 50" inch. I have connected it to an old Samsung Soundbar using HDMI ARC, it seems to be working flawlessly for me. It did revert to TV speakers one time when I connected it to my Bluetooth earphones but I think that was because the battery of the earphones died. It certainly does remember the last set audio output device for me. I can share what my settings look like in a bit
Nice to know your TV does not have this problem.

Do share your settings. Let me check if I have set something differently. Thanks.

Samsung US forum thread with the same complaint is marked solved and people are upset! https://us.community.samsung.com/t5...SAMSUNG-SOUNDBAR-CONNECTED/td-p/469206/page/5

Do share your settings. Let me check if I have set something differently. Thanks.

Samsung US forum thread with the same complaint is marked solved and people are upset! https://us.community.samsung.com/t5...SAMSUNG-SOUNDBAR-CONNECTED/td-p/469206/page/5
Sorry for the late reply. I just remembered right now. So the only thing I felt worth mentioning is that the connected Samsung soundbar doesn't support eARC. Maybe disable it and check? (If you have it enabled) . From the Samsung forum post you shared , it looks like even Samsun soundbars faced the same issue. Not sure what could be the root cause

Attachments

• IMG_20210115_224509-compressed.jpg
    IMG_20210115_224509-compressed.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20210115_224459-compressed.jpg
    IMG_20210115_224459-compressed.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 12
Sorry for the late reply. I just remembered right now. So the only thing I felt worth mentioning is that the connected Samsung soundbar doesn't support eARC. Maybe disable it and check? (If you have it enabled) . From the Samsung forum post you shared , it looks like even Samsun soundbars faced the same issue. Not sure what could be the root cause
Thanks for the share. Will try these settings and update

Used the settings as shared by you. The receiver switches on automatically only if powered down with the remote and kept in stand by.
If I switch off power at the mains - the avr does not switch on. When I checked I found the sound output defaults to TV Speaker.

20210116_132610.jpg

Last edited:
Used the settings as shared by you. The receiver switches on automatically only if powered down with the remote and kept in stand by.
If I switch off power at the mains - the avr does not switch on. When I checked I found the sound output defaults to TV Speaker.

View attachment 53894
Oh. That sucks :| wonder if any other Samsung owners here are facing the same issue

My Sony TVs default the HDMI source and not TV speakers after physically switching off the mains too as well as standby remote control switch off. It could be either a Samsung issue or did you make sure there is no loose connection at the ARC HDMI cables (TV and Denon end try tightening it)

Oh. That sucks :| wonder if any other Samsung owners here are facing the same issue

Seems many samsung tv models have this problems. The US forum people have an option - to simply return the TV! We in India have to live with all such 'features' a.k.a. bugs!

My Sony TVs default the HDMI source and not TV speakers after physically switching off the mains too as well as standby remote control switch off. It could be either a Samsung issue or did you make sure there is no loose connection at the ARC HDMI cables (TV and Denon end try tightening it)
My two earlier panasonic models one 10 years old and the other 3 years old, worked like a charm and turned on my same denon avr without any issues.
It is a samsung issue. Many people have complained about it in this US forum and have even gone to the extent of returning it! India is a major market for samsung and we Indians receive special treatment when it comes to warranty, service and repairs!

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back