Samsung UHD not reading external HD.

karan382

Hello, after much thought and advise from this forum I had very recently purchased the Samsung KU6470 UHD 55". The LED had been performing very well until yesterday - when I connected my 1TB external WD hard disk directly to the Led. At first attempt the Led read it immediately and I could surf and play the videos without an issue. However on the second time the Led started taking extremely long to read the hard disk - hanging at times and finally when I managed to play the video file the TV would freeze and the remote control would not respond as well. The same HD has been playing effortlessly on my 5 year old LG normal Led and laptop without any glitch.

I am wondering whether it is a problem with my particular Led piece or due to technical shortcomings this model is incapable of reading a hard disk. I spoke to an acquaintance from Samsung and he told me that since the processor of the UHD is already heavily loaded in producing such high quality images therefore it is unable to read a high capacity external storage device. This problem mostly happens with all UHD/4K Leds - Samsungs, Sony, LGs etc. He recommends that either I use a smaller capacity pen drive and connect it with the Led or use a digital media player (Asus O!play etc.) and run my hard disk through the same.

I am wondering whether the above information is accurate as my much older LG Led (obselete smart TV with 3D) never faced an issue ever in reading the same hard disk or any other.

Kindly advise. I beginning to worry whether I should have gone for the Sony or settled for a much cheaper Panasonic etc. :annoyed:

Also my Samsung wireless soundbar and sub woofer suddenly refused to connect with the Led through Bluetooth (after running fine for 3 days) and I am now using a Optic wire to connect the sound bar ! Will contacting the store soon for the same.

Please help as this is extremely annoying after putting in so much money for this 'well researched' purchase :mad:

As per my own experience, your acquaintance from Samsung seems to be correct. My Samsung LED also has problems reading from a 2TB Toshiba HDD. It can recognize the files but when I play them then playback suddenly stops randomly. Moved the same file to a smaller capacity pendrive, it plays fine.

Seems very unrealistic and shocking. Modern TVs should be able to detect and play external hard disks quiet easily. I am having an LG 4k TV purchased last year and it plays my 1 TB transcend hard disk loaded with 4K files downloaded (one files comes to 40GB+) very easily. No problem at all. NO lag while play back and i can easily drag the play back fast forward and backward. Please check a different external hard disk. Also is your hard disk fully loaded? If yes that may also be the case.

Seems very unrealistic and shocking. Modern TVs should be able to detect and play external hard disks quiet easily. I am having an LG 4k TV purchased last year and it plays my 1 TB transcend hard disk loaded with 4K files downloaded (one files comes to 40GB+) very easily. No problem at all. NO lag while play back and i can easily drag the play back fast forward and backward. Please check a different external hard disk. Also is your hard disk fully loaded? If yes that may also be the case.

Even my old LG LED does not have any issue in reading a 1 TB HD. Currently my HD is approx 500 GB full so I highly doubt whether that will be an issue. I am beginning to think more that this may be a Samsung specific issue. I will also try playing my HD through my O!PLAY and see how the Led reacts then. But nonetheless this is very disappointing ! :annoyed:

check if there is an update for your Tv. Most of the time the problem is that the Tv does not provide enough power to USB 3.0 HDD. However, If your Tv did read the HDD the first time and everything was then it should have no problem doing it again.
Check your HDD in Pc for and also try a Lower capacity HDD preferably USB 2.0. Also you are facing multiple problems so I recommend you to raise to request for a technician for Demo. If there is an issue the technician will report it and then you ask for replacement.
If you have bought the Tv online immediately go for replacement.

Scan the HDD for errors. It's important to power down TV before disconnecting the USB/ HDD. Or eject the HDD if you have that option.

check if there is an update for your Tv. Most of the time the problem is that the Tv does not provide enough power to USB 3.0 HDD. However, If your Tv did read the HDD the first time and everything was then it should have no problem doing it again.
Check your HDD in Pc for and also try a Lower capacity HDD preferably USB 2.0. Also you are facing multiple problems so I recommend you to raise to request for a technician for Demo. If there is an issue the technician will report it and then you ask for replacement.
If you have bought the Tv online immediately go for replacement.

I tried connecting 3 different HDs today 250 GB, 500 GB & 1 TB(the same one that earlier did not work). Somehow all of the three seem to work fine now. I am not sure what the problem earlier was - a one off case or just that I plugged in the HDs in a different USB port today. I will regularly use the HDs for the next few days and see the response. I have also thought about using my Oplay Mini as a more permanent solution. Can any of you please send the link to the firmware update for Asus Oplay Mini ?

As for the soundbar bluetooth connectivity I think the issue is with the soundbar rather than the LED. Or that is me just trying to sound optimistic :D I will keep you all posted on the developments here. Thank you all

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back