Samsung v Panasonic LED 2D TV - advice needed!

spotnaga

Hi all - First time posting. Right off the bat, I'd like to tip my hat to everyone on this forum. Discussions and threads here have helped me make many a purchase, and I'm counting on my upcoming one too!

I'm in the market for a 2D Smart LED TV. My priorities are picture quality, viewing angle and motion resolution. I watch a ton of sports (write reviews), and true blacks and judder-less motion are key for me. Sound is not a problem, as I intend to play audio through Denon amp/Polk speakers.

After much research and 2 auditions, I have whittled down to two choices:
Panasonic 42AS630D - 55K (TV exchange plus extended 3rd yr warranty)
Samsung 40H5500 - 58K (TV exchange plus ext 2nd yr warranty)

I visited 2 fairly popular dealers in south Bangalore - Devi International and Reliance Digital (both in Jayanagar). The folks at Devi seemed to back the Panny while Reliance pushed for Samsung. Personally, this is what I feel:

Panasonic: IPS Panel and direct LED display provides superior PQ and viewing angle. Blacks looked way truer, and detailing looked better. Also, Smart TV features sounded comprehensive and well-rounded. Also, the default warranty period is 2 yrs, which saves some cost.

Samsung: Brightness and screen uniformity were excellent for an edge lit LED. Smart TV was way better and faster, owing to quadcore. But noticed blurring and interpolation while watching football in the showroom. However, I hear better things about Samsung in terms of technology as well as support.

Request your expertise on this to help me decide! Really tearing my hair apart right now. Thanks!

Here's an update. I went ahead and bought the Panasonic 42 AS630D TV. After 3 weeks of viewing, choice is totally vindicated. The system is a total monster. Amazing PQ, brilliantly capable Smart TV and decent sound quality. After exchanging my old 29 inch Philips CRT TV and opting with an extended (3rd yr) warranty, cost came to 55K. Folks at Devi Intl also threw in a Benetton trolley bag (worth 6K apparently) along with this. So far so good!

Here's what I need your advice on:
I'm streaming media from my laptop to the TV through DLNA. Both video and audio are coming thru the TV. However, I need the audio to be routed through my Denon Amp and come through Polk TSI300.

I tried connecting an HDMI cable from HDMI Out on the TV to HDMI In on the amp. Nothing's happening. Could you please help me with the right settings?

Thanks!
Manu

I bought this TV one month back awesome TV with great features and picture quality.

One thing I bought it for 54K without any exchange in hyderabad Panasonic show room.

Thanks!

Challa - The Blr showroom quoted 59K for the TV with extended 3rd yr warranty. They were ready to pay 2.5K for my old TV, which means the whole deal came to 56.5K. This was in Sept 2014. Don't know if the rates have gone up since the time you bought (unlikely!).

Hi spotnaga & Ajaykumar84,

Did you get a physical warranty card for the 2nd year which panasonic was offering?. I bought 50AS670 in August but still haven't received the extended warranty card.

Hi Sunshine_vsk,

I also did not get the 2nd year warranty card, i called the showroom people and they have asked me to come down to the showroom next weak to collect it.

Hi All,

I have Bose companion 3 speakers and as there is no aux on 42AS630D and speakers doesnt have digital audio input i cant get them to work. Any suggestion :mad:

Hi Lakshminarasimhan,

I have been using 50AS670 since August and find the PQ is good even with SD channels. The price has come down now, it's available for 86.5K with extended warranty in girija's chennai. (Saw an news paper ad couple of days back).

Hi Ajaykumar84,

Please let me know if you get a hard copy for the 2nd year extended warranty. Coz my dealer mentioned that there's no additional warranty card for the 2nd year.

Sunshine_vsk: I got a physical warranty card for 2yrs from Panasonic, as well as a similar card for the 3rd year. The latter is given by the dealer, and T&Cs are almost similar to what the company offers.

Ajaykumar: Congrats, that's a great price. Where did you buy? About the audio, that's an unfortunate combination! With no digital or HDMI, not sure how you can connect Companion 3 to the Panny. Look for threads within Amplifier segment - like http://www.hifivision.com/amplifiers/54320-streaming-audio-via-dlna-avr.html.

Here's an update. I went ahead and bought the Panasonic 42 AS630D TV. After 3 weeks of viewing, choice is totally vindicated. The system is a total monster. Amazing PQ, brilliantly capable Smart TV and decent sound quality. After exchanging my old 29 inch Philips CRT TV and opting with an extended (3rd yr) warranty, cost came to 55K. Folks at Devi Intl also threw in a Benetton trolley bag (worth 6K apparently) along with this. So far so good!

Here's what I need your advice on:
I'm streaming media from my laptop to the TV through DLNA. Both video and audio are coming thru the TV. However, I need the audio to be routed through my Denon Amp and come through Polk TSI300.

I tried connecting an HDMI cable from HDMI Out on the TV to HDMI In on the amp. Nothing's happening. Could you please help me with the right settings?

Thanks!
Manu

Dear Manu,

I am also in fix between SONY 42W700B & Panasonic 42AS630D:sad:. Did you consider W700B also while finalizing the decision. Please share your experience till now with the product. I am getting 42AS630D @ Rs. 54000/- from local vendors.

Regards,

Arun

Hi Arun,
54k is higher side . last october i bought this tv for 51k (50,800 + 200 delivery charges) at girias , indira nagar 100ft road with (panasonic diwali offers benetton trolley bag) and i guess prices should come down now a bit further as it is almost 9 months over ??

Coming to TV, its the best 2d tv among all considering all aspects of pq, smart tv, cost etc .
Sony pq is better in sd , but it dont fare well in smart tv aspects.(HD quality is same in both and both are excellent with hd feed )

Samsung &LG fare better in smart tv aspects but pq , panasonic scores better than both of these interms of colour, contrast, temperature, black level (samsung va panels have better black level than ips panels ), viewing angle .

so, overall if you want alround tv go for this. Otherwise, if u want a particular feature is more imp than rest of the things, then go for specific brand/product ( f.e if u want pq, go for sony, if u want smart tv features go for lg/samsung ).

If u have 10k more budget u can very well go for 42as670 (3d , but it has higher/faster processor, mouse as free ) . i mean extra 10k is worth and value for money at the end .

if u want skype camera in built , then best is sony 42W900b model which was quoted at that time 74k with bluray player (not 3d) , which was higher than my budget as with 3d bluray player it is coming to 80k. but at this price, its value for money model though.

thanks,
sailas

thanks,
sailas

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back