Schiit DAC stopped working - Modi 2 optical

amit11

Hi Friends,

After using for around one and a half year, my schiit dac (modi 2, optical only version) stopped working. While I was listening to music, suddenly some bursting kind of noise ("thud") came from speakers. I then observed that schiit dac was off and it was not getting ON later. None of the lights were getting on.

Next day I was trying to diagnose. I observed that if I switch on the DAC (lights are still off), the corner of the DAC where the ON-OFF switch is there, that particular corner gets little warm/hot in some time. I also observed that some burning smell comes if I keep the switch on.

I am contacting Schiit but they are asking me to ship back to them for repair. Now my concern is there will be a lot of cost involved and also many days before something good can happen.

Any suggestions from your side? Is there any possibility that I can check the circuit board and replace some component (resistor / capacitor etc).
I observed one thing, there is one big resistor inside, near the on-off switch and that one particular gets very hot. Is there any possibility it might have got damaged. Thanks.

Regards,
Amit.

Amit,

Looking at the Age of the DAC and Shipping cost, Better you get DAC checked with local technician. Hope DAC is still in warranty.

Hi Friends,

After using for around one and a half year, my schiit dac (modi 2, optical only version) stopped working. While I was listening to music, suddenly some bursting kind of noise ("thud") came from speakers. I then observed that schiit dac was off and it was not getting ON later. None of the lights were getting on.

Next day I was trying to diagnose. I observed that if I switch on the DAC (lights are still off), the corner of the DAC where the ON-OFF switch is there, that particular corner gets little warm/hot in some time. I also observed that some burning smell comes if I keep the switch on.

I am contacting Schiit but they are asking me to ship back to them for repair. Now my concern is there will be a lot of cost involved and also many days before something good can happen.

Any suggestions from your side? Is there any possibility that I can check the circuit board and replace some component (resistor / capacitor etc).
I observed one thing, there is one big resistor inside, near the on-off switch and that one particular gets very hot. Is there any possibility it might have got damaged. Thanks.

Regards,
Amit.

A question of curiosity,
Did you use this DAC with any stabilizer or you directly connected to Wall plug ?

A question of curiosity,
Did you use this DAC with any stabilizer or you directly connected to Wall plug ?

Kindly of directly connected, using extension having spike guard. I have used it like this only for all my stereo components, including this DAC. But somehow this one stopped abruptly.

Definitely avail the warranty, but also check if you can do a trade in and upgrade to a multibit version of the DAC.

I'm not too sure of the costs involved, but myself owning 3 Schiit products and with over 10 Schiit products among friends and colleagues, their support is excellent in every area.

I found that there is one RESISTOR on the circuit, which is getting very hot just in five seconds. Could the resistor be the problem?

Hi Amit, Electronics cannot be repaired by book Knowledge. Best check with some local technician. Electronics is chain of components. Any damage or degrade to the any of the component would impact in its function.

Just but heating we cannot come to a conclusion, There could be another component which might make the Resistor Heat.

If you have the Schematic diagram and a Multimeter, You could check component by Component and try to fix the issue.

I would suggest you to write or Call Schitt to check if there any Exchange offer availiable for Multibit (250 USD, New version) and exchange this with some extra money.

Ya, will try for that aswell. But the dilemma is they may offer discount if any for max 50 usd, and i will have to ship this old one, the shipping itself would cost > 50 usd.

Sent from my SM-N750 using Tapatalk

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back