SCHIIT Uber Modi 2 vs SCHIIT BIFROST MultiBit

spaace

Hi,

I am in the processing of procuring my sources. So far i have bought a raspberry pi 3 + hifiberry i2S audio card for the pi.

Now i think i need a DAC to convert the SPDIF output from the card to analog & hence the SCHIIT doubt.

Is there anyplace in Bangalore where I can do an A/B testing of the SCHIIT ? Or if someone has both of these, i would appreciate if i can come by and listen to these DACs.

Please let me know if any of you had the luck to listen to both / do an A/B test and whether the MultiBit is worth the extra money.

Thanks
Arun

Do you mean you bought pi3 and hifiberry digi which has digital out? I have this combo and use smsl sanskrit as the dac.

MaSh

Sent from my Redmi Note 3

Yes that is the equipment i have. Thanks for the reply MaSh. Did you do any comparisons before you bought it?

Where do you go to, in Bangalore to review and buy these?

Thanks
Arun

Yes that is the equipment i have. Thanks for the reply MaSh. Did you do any comparisons before you bought it?

Where do you go to, in Bangalore to review and buy these?

Thanks
Arun
Nope, I had not tried it. Bought one and then picked a second one from a forum member who had the digi and the sanskrit. So now I have two Pis, one with digi and sanskrit.

MaSh

Sent from my Redmi Note 3

Kartikay, I meant the bifrost itself ...Night be able to squeeze it in if the quality is worth the money

That was why I was hoping I could find someone who might have listened to both

Thanks
Arun

Mpw I could try ap ...But I am not sure if they pair well with products other than their own system ...

Plus not sure how I can compare it against other dacs without actually buying it ....

Thanks
Arun

Kartikay, I meant the bifrost itself ...Night be able to squeeze it in if the quality is worth the money

That was why I was hoping I could find someone who might have listened to both

Thanks
Arun
Bifrost MB is almost 4x of Modi 2 Uber thats why I asked the question.
If you are looking at $700 budget which is what Bimby costs then there are other options too.
there is Metrum Octave DAC for sale in HFV itself.

http://www.hifivision.com/sale-owner/66206-metrum-octave-one-192khz-24-bit.html

Thanks Kartik. Well I haven't been able to try any level controlled ab testing with dacs ...And there are so many places on the net which claims that the dacs cannot be distinguished in true dbt tests ...

This was the the reason I was checking ...Since really no one has written in to say in the affirmative that the big brother schiit is that much better, I guess my options are limited

I guess I can get the uber 2 and then go down and compare with help of the others in the forum and establish if the more expensive dacs really give value for money

Only then will I consider upgrading ..At that time I can sell my entry level schiit ...

Get the Modi Multibit as Modi 2 uber is not upgradeable to multibit. Also its the most VFM multibit available, it'll be easier to get rid of in case you decide on upgrading. It's a very sweet deal if you can get it from USA.

BTW, coming to your original question of plain bifrost vs Modi Multibit - Modi Multibit seems to be a better choice. Bifrost multibit will probably be better than Modi Multibit, though spec wise bifrost doesn't seem to be a better investment but you'll have to trust the audiophile ears of Schiit engineers, who would have priced them appropriately. Somehow devices with beefier, heavy and anti-environment power supply sound much better than their more power efficient counterparts. As you go up in the schiit DAC chain the better dedicated power supply chain for each and every component gets added ; which adds to the production costs and makes the device pricier. I have heard non multibit versions of Modi 2 uber, Bifrost and Gungnir and I feel schiit is justified in pricing its DAC variants appropriately. With introduction of Modi Multibit plain bifrost may not be a VFM choice so go for Modi Multibit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok. Thanks drKrack. That makes sense. I have to admit though the warm up time for the Mbit designs are a bummer.

It ought to be fun comparing this against the Gumby/Yggy etc.

Thanks
Arun

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back