Screen for Optoma HD65

rana_kirti

Hi frens,

I'm looking to get a Screen for my Optoma HD65.

I read a few websites to get a little knowledge and have kind of figured that a Grey High Contrast Screen will give me better Blacks as opposed to a White Screen in a room which has ambient light.

These are a points to consider...

- The screen size i'm looking at is about 125" - 135" Diagonal in my living room.
- I'm preferring a High Contrast Grey Screen.
- Ambient light during day time is controllable to a certain limit.
- Light control after about 6 pm is almost completely Dark.
- There is a window just besides the left side of the screen which i will cover with a dark curtain but it wont be a issue after evening because that window opens to a passage within the building, so not much light comes in from there.
- Projector will be used mostly for movies.

So i need some suggestions regarding which Screen i should get for my HD65.

1. Should i get High Contrast Grey Screen or a White Screen (Matte White) ?

2. Can any Optoma HD65 owners here share their experiences of what screens they are using and what are the results ?

Also if you picked "Gray" then did you feel you would have been better off with "White" & vice versa ?

3. My Budget is from 10k to 20k. If i can get a "Better Quality" Manual Pull Down Screen for the same price over a Motorized Pull Down Screen then i will prefer the Manual over the Motorized.

If assuming the "Screen Quality" is same how much price difference will be there between a Manual Pull Down vs. a Motorized Pull Down ?

4. So could you guys recommend some Screens & prices.....

5. Where in Delhi will i be able Demo a lot of different types of Screens ?

Thanks,

Rana

After searching in vain in India for a decent screen, I got fed up and decided to go the DIY wall-painted screen route. avsforum has an extensive section on DIY painted screens and after some research, I chose a DULUX low-sheen satin finish tint called "Snowfield". It's equivalent to the High Contrast Grey screens available from Da-Lite and others. DULUX has a paint studio in Bangalore and I gave the paint contract to them, even though it was more expensive than picking up the paint and hiring my own painter. I decided to paint my whole room in the same color for a uniform look and have left the wall where the picture is projected bare. After calibrating the projector, the picture looks really good, IMHO.

Last year I purchased a cloth type material to be used as screen since I did nt want to spend huge amount on readmade. I was looking for some vinyl type thing I had tried at home & carried a sample but the shopkeeper showed me some taiwan made plastic sheet type (non tearable- stretchable) on knowing the purpose and told me that it used by many proefessional studios for some projection purpose.
I took a risk and paid for 3.25 mtrs(450/-mtr) with a height of 6 feet (16:9) & got it home.

I found a clearcut difference between wall and my screen. Picture is bright, more colourful & sharp. (As if all things were absorbed on my off white wall) I am not aware of gain/ high contrast or other screen parameters as its not a standard screen material I beleive. But I am happy about the result. The best part is its mid refective white on one side and bit matte grey on opposite side. Can use any side. So i see a differece in deep black levels in grey and brighter image on white.

Unfortunatly I did not ask the name of a cloth type and now that shop is not existent as well due to new building construction. But you can try some DIY on diffenrt type of sample cloth avaibale at home and get a full fledge from market.
(Posted somewhere else too.)

Last edited:
@ grebe..

thats a good option... though i'll not be able to leave the wall are bare... so i will have to go for a pull down screen.

@ viper...

how have you installed the screen ? did you put black borders on all four side ?

Where can i get Ready Made Screens in Delhi ?

Any Dealer suggestions...??

Thanks
lucky you could get a

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back