Seagate FreeAgent Theater+ HD Media Player Owner's Thread

siddh

Guys got this player about a forthnight back for Rs. 4900/-. It plays FLV and RealMedia too. I see some people owning the same player so thought of starting the thread. Moderator's can make it a owner thread if it is not allowed. I have connected an freeagent external 1.5 TB 3.5 HDD to it.

Anyways my reason to go for this player was :

It had Realmedia, FLV and the price was too tempting.

Negative thing about the player I found is that no buttons on the console and no HDMI cable in the box.

Finally the pictures.

72332570.jpg

18646805.jpg

90193663.jpg

90776476.jpg

66625196.jpg

62658252.jpg

15358389.jpg

Been using the Theater+ for a few weeks now. Had picked it up from singapore for sgd 89.

I'm extremely happy with the performance of the media player. Only negatives I've noticed are the slightly unresponsive remote and seek function (forwarding to a particular part of the file).

Do upgrade the firmware to access the internet menu.

Enjoy!

Mate, congratulations on your ppurchase and sharing pics with the forum.
Does this player pass through HD audio coz the POHD i bought dosent even though its claimed on the manufacturers website. I felt cheated and am not left with a half baked product until the manufacturer decides to resolve the problem and provide all current users a firmware upgrade.

I've connected the theater+ to the avr using an optical cable and I'm receiving dts and Dolby signals depending on the mkv encoding.

YAHOOOOO:yahoo: just joined the Seagate Freeagent Theatre+ owner's group.
Still playing around with it.................:)

Hey guys, As far as i know FAT+ does not support True HD or DTS HD. It supports LPCM Multi ch which is 8 channels but u will need a file which is AAC 7.1. You can try setting your FAT+ to HDMI-LPCM Multi Ch and output to AVR, You will also need an AVR which can accept multi channel LPCM. It will also depend on weather your AAC is 5.1 or 7.1.

i am using it with crt as well. no problems. if you have any query ask. i shall check and give you a reply.

i am using it with crt as well. no problems. if you have any query ask. i shall check and give you a reply.

Oh!good.I've a 25" CRT and want to use it
(a) with the component in.
(b) I would mainly be playing 720p origin mkv/avi files.Have u had any problems in playing these kinds of files?
(c) I've read that people aren't impressed with the UI.What's your impression?
(d) Have u tried using flash drives with it?
(e) Are u able to fast forward/rewind through the file?
(f) How are u getting audio out?I don't have a AV receiver.I'm using the 3.5 mm jack on my Altec Lansings to connect to the headphone-in on the TV!

Last edited:
Hey Alok, Congrats and thanks for the post. I was just about to make an enquiry on this when I found your thread.

Actually, I had almost made up my mind for Xtreamer Pro which would cost me about 13K before I came across this.

Is it comparable to Xtreamer Pro? What are its pros and cons vis-a-vis? I am not sure if you can answer this but would be grateful if you or another member can help me on this.

Thanks in advance.

Hey Shrjun, I have tried 720 files no problem. UI is simple and basic nothing to write about. I have used a pen drive not a flash drive, It played with ease. We can fast forward/rewind upto 32 x speed. The only issue is if you fast forward rewind at 32x speed it takes abt 5 to 10 sec to to come to normal play mode. Finally for audio you get a composite cable with the box. With this you can add a audio connector/pin which will connect your audio red and white pin and output it to 3.5mm jack. You can connect the video cable to the crt tv. Hope this solves the problem.

Last edited:
Hey Shrjun, I have tried 720 files no problem. UI is simple and basic nothing to write about. I have used a pen drive not a flash drive, It played with ease. We can fast forward/rewind upto 32 x speed. The only issue is if you fast forward rewind at 32x speed it takes abt 5 to 10 sec to to come to normal play mode. Finally for audio you get a composite cable with the box. With this you can add a audio connector/pin which will connect your audio red and white pin and output it to 3.5mm jack. You can connect the video cable to the crt tv. Hope this solves the problem.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Last edited:
My Mail ID:[email protected],If you have any need ,pls fell free contact me)
Now I introduce you a best seller of all the HD media player Adaptor SRH-001,
Specifications
USB input: USB2.0 high speed USB hostx2
Memory card support: "SD,SDHC,MMC,MS cards"
File system:FAT/FAT32/NTFS
Audio file: "MP3,WMA,WAV,OGG,AAC,LPCM,FLAC,AC3"
Video codec:"H.264,MKV,WMV9,MPEG1/2/4,HD DivX,XivD,FLV,RM/RMVB"
Videofilesupport:MKV,TS,M2TS,MTS,WMV,IFO,ISO,VOB,DAT,AVI,MPG,MP4,MOV,RM,RMVB,DIVX,XVID,FLV"
video resolution:RM/RMVB,H.264,MKV/WMV9,TS and HDDivX supportup to 1920x1080p"
Subtitle:SUB,SMI,SSA,SRT,IDX+SUB"
Video output: "HDMI digital ,CVBS"
Audio output "Stereo R/L,HDMI digital"
Supports All popular HD Video
"This products supports all popular 1080p HD video on the market,including H.264,MKV,DixV HD,MPEG 2-TS,VC-1,WMV9,You can enjoy Hd video and HD TV via the HDMI interface."
supports USB Host
"With USB2.0 support you can plug storage devices such as HDD,flash drives or mp3 and them direct through the adaptor "
supports Muti Memory Cards Media Input
"With the muti-media memory card reader socker you can insert memory cards such as SD ,SDHC,MMC and MS cards into the products,This allows you to play the media directly from the memory card to the TV."
HDMI Digital Output
With the HDMI interface you can enjoy superb digital video and audio quality playback on your TV.

I'm having issues with decoding AAC audio from 720p mp4 files. There is no issue with the AC3 files - my Denon AVR 1508 identifies DTS/DOLBY and plays it in 5.1 but with AAC files the audio only comes as stereo.

Anyone else face the same issue? I'm not sure if its the Theater+ which is causing the problem or the AVR.

Could the owners of the Freeagent Theater+ post more usage reviews of the device? At its sub Rs.5k price, this seems like a pretty good deal! :)

Any place in bangalore where we can try out the various players. Even I am interested in this. Also the Transcend DMP10 which is also quoting at 5K.

m8002:

Hey just saw the manual for DMP10. It does not support mkv or m2ts. It does not play mov files nor i can see it anywhere in manual that it can be networked. The manual has no reference of playing the avi also :). Maybe they have to update the pdf. Go for another players. Why buy and then repent.

fang:
Ask in specific what you want. I will try to test it and give you a report.

Alokg:
Sorry mate, i don't have a new AVR. So cannot reply.

Cheers
sid.

Last edited:
A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back