Search for a budget amp for Quad ESL 989

rumsoakedboy

Would anyone be kind enough to recommend a budget integrated amp to drive Quad ESL 989.
I cam across many during a search Mark Levinson, Conrad-Johnson, Krell etc which are way too expensive. Most of the US audio-review sites were quite useless since most of the recommended setups has exotic gadgets which I have no clue where to look for. Is there something available in India which can drive these speakers? Also if anyone owns a 989, I would like to know more about their experience.
Thanks again

I suggest you do a bit of initial research on the web to find out what kind of power is needed to drive these. Electrostatics are known to be not too easy to drive, but when driven right are supposed to be very good.I've auditioned Martin Logans and thought they sounded great.Cadence also sounded very good.

Thanks George, afg for your replies.
I have heard Martin Logan Purity and Source and also Magnepan MG 12 among the planars. Most of the these were driven by McIntosh mono blocks.

As you said afg, Mark Levinson, McIntosh or Krell are not budget offering. But most of these are available online in used condition at a song when compared to their retail prices. The trouble would be service and parts, if things go wrong.
I was searching for something which is available readily which can drive electro stats.
Thanks for the replies

Hi,
See if you can get Pre-owned Adcom 545 or 555 power amps. You may get these " 1990's vintage" at 22k and 26k respectively, if you are lucky. I've read somewhere on web that these were designed to drive difficult electrostatics like Quads. They may not compete with Mark Levinsons /Krells /Brystons in "that final touch of class", but came very close and had robust build quality. If you go by american forums... many yanks are getting these refurbished for cheap, instead of going for megabuck new ones.

Some other vintage amps from Sansui, Yamaha may also do the trick if they can handle impedances as low as 2 ohms and known to be high-current designs. I think our member hemantwaghe can guide you better on this.

regds,
Sonosphere

Thank you Sonosphere for the wonderful reply.
Adcom looks like an affordable option. And so is Naim Nait. In fact Naim Nait 5i is the name I frequently came across on online discussion boards and it doesn't cost a bomb in used conditions. I think Krell also has a budget model called 400Xi or something. Need to check that out.
I'm curious as to what Marantz and Rotel can do to the planars. The trouble with Sansui is the difference in quality across models. While an individual model may be hailed as a classic, others sound crap. That's where companies like Nad and Marantz scores.
My second amp is Marantz PM-34, bought in 90s and still sounding great on my Dual 1229 TT. Maybe its unfair to compare Sansui with Marantz. I have no clue about Yamaha amps though. Have to check them out
Thanks again for the reply.

Rumsoakedboy

(love that monikor by BTW, and assuming that your a fan of our local Hercules and Khodays)

The key thing in my mind( and as you also mentioned) when you consider some of the names like Yamaha is that all models are not alike, so home in the right one. It'snot for nothing that they sell for lower prices than the likes of Bryston.

i've heard that electrostatic speakers pair really well with tube amps. really very musical. there are a lot of chinese amps out there that are really good too. take a look at this website Home . issue is you wont be able to audition

one of the problems with esl's is the bass - or the lack of it. so if youre not planning to add a sub onto your system make sure that the amp kicks out plenty of the lows

Adcom looks like an affordable option. And so is Naim Nait. In fact Naim Nait 5i is the name I frequently came across on online discussion boards and it doesn't cost a bomb in used conditions. I think Krell also has a budget model called 400Xi or something. Need to check that out.
I'm curious as to what Marantz and Rotel can do to the planars. The trouble with Sansui is the difference in quality across models. While an individual model may be hailed as a classic, others sound crap. That's where companies like Nad and Marantz scores.
My second amp is Marantz PM-34, bought in 90s and still sounding great on my Dual 1229 TT. Maybe its unfair to compare Sansui with Marantz. I have no clue about Yamaha amps though. Have to check them out
Thanks again for the reply.

I have heard the Maggies being driven by a Rotel Integrated 60 Watter and it seemed to be driving them well. However when the amps were changed to a NuForce Integrated 9 V2 100 Watter the sound became much better , the bass was tight and adequate which was missing while driven by the Rotel......Therefore you would need a powerful amp to drive the maggies to bring out the best in them....
Not sure if Naim would be able to drive the Planars and Electrostats properly as they are not very powerful amps...

sir
you have not yet specified a budget to work with

would you be open to a mint
a Classe DR 15 - 175w watts @ 8 ohms
or a well looked after Quad 909

Adcom looks like an affordable option. And so is Naim Nait. In fact Naim Nait 5i is the name I frequently came across on online discussion boards and it doesn't cost a bomb in used conditions.

Hi rumsoakedboy,
The Naim 5i has good reports on web, however it doesn't "look" like a partner for Quad electrostatics. Two reasons: It's innards don't reveal a huge transformer that even a 100 watt high-current amps have... and it's not known for hefty bass that is required for electrostatics (matching a sub with fast electrostatics for bass-support, may not be easy task... a fast sub will cost you 75k alone)

For electrostatics, the amp in your budget (say 40k) would most probably come from Pre-owned 1990's vintage stuff (min 100 watt per channel) from Adcom, /Bryston, /krell. With these brands there is hardly any likely hood that one of their model turns out to be a wimp.

I suggest you search for such amps in Free classifieds in India, Classified ads in India, Online Classified Advertising. You will find some persons "specialized" in selling used amps. Olx is full of ads for "good" used stuff from Bangalore.

Regds,
Sonosphere

You can also look at NAD C375 BEE to power those speakers of yours. We have few really happy clients using either 372 or 375 with ELS and are happy with their choices. A NAD 375 is the only amp in its class and budget that can drive those speakers easily.

Ashish

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back