Second EMT acquisition

anilva

Thanks to a very kind person who has taken a liking to my hobby and helped me get a AIR-lineage EMT 938 turntable.

When I got the TT (this was few months back), it was in bad shape from looks as well as functionality. The tonearm has gone completely awry, the motorized lift mechanism was not working and there was no headshell or the cartridge.

The platter, motor and electronics were in great shape and very little usage signs. This was a good case for me to completely overhaul which I went about doing. The other good thing about this TT is that the headshell mount is not the standard EMT headshell (diamond shape contact layout) mount but the standard SME mount.

After all the TLC, new Sumiko headshell, DL-103 and a new EMT Phono pre-preamplifier (MC step up) the unit is working fabulously. Here are the pictures. The dustcover is kind courtesy Mr. Kuruvila and carried by GeorgeO to Bangalore. THanks a ton to you guys.

Cheers.

Attachments

• EMT_2.jpg
    EMT_2.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 201
  • EMT2_2.jpg
    EMT2_2.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 201
  • Emt_both.jpg
    Emt_both.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 201
  • EMT_both_dust.jpg
    EMT_both_dust.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 201
Hi,

Anil, congratulations. That is a super restoration job.

Next stop EMT 927 or EMT 950. I know that AIR had/has these TT's.

Regards
Rajiv

Congrats Anilva, fantastic accquisition. Interestingly this one does not have the "AIR" scratch filter even though it has Meltron lineage.

That restoration job is fantastic. Thanks for the lovely pics.

What 'might' a person do with 2 x EMT938s? :sad:

He can sell one to me for me to add to my Scheu Cello and my vintage Dual CS5000. Then I can "keep looking at them".

Jokes apart, congratulations Anil. Wonderful restoration done. Where have you got the EMT phono pre from? I thought some of the EMTs came with built-in phono stages.

Regards.

Hi,

Anil, congratulations. That is a super restoration job.

Next stop EMT 927 or EMT 950. I know that AIR had/has these TT's.

Regards
Rajiv

Rajeev,

Thanks for your kind comments. I need to buy a Tondose TSD15, but just not getting the motivation to blow that kind of money in today's forex situation.

A TSD15 will add to the complete 'house' sound of EMT. The SME headshell on the 2nd EMT gives a lot of flexibility of cartridge options (or so I thought, but fall back on DL-103).

AIR never had EMT 927s AFAIK, but they did have a bunch of 950s which got auctioned off and broke into metal scrap more than 15 years back (when the new EMT938s were getting inducted). I am certain there are few 950s lying underground with someone.

The next EMT 938 I lay my hands on, belongs to you. That's a promise. I know you have quite a number of illustrious TTs and a 938 will add to the sheen.

Cheers.

He can sell one to me for me to add to my Scheu Cello and my vintage Dual CS5000. Then I can "keep looking at them".

Jokes apart, congratulations Anil. Wonderful restoration done. Where have you got the EMT phono pre from? I thought some of the EMTs came with built-in phono stages.

Regards.

Asit,

EMT phono preamp comes with 938 as a standard and can take care of MM cartridges. For MC there is a pre-pre daughter card that I bought from Germany as NOS. There is also a option of a onboard SUT (which would go into 948s) which Prem has in his setup. Supposed to sound better.

Just on the aside, the spares of EMT cost a bomb and one can get a new turntable with that kind of pricing.

Cheers.

Dear Anil,
Wonderful restoration. Those dust covers are looking good on your EMTs. I just ordered for dust covers for my Thorens long base, JP and two Technics Direct Drives which came to me without dust covers. I know there are several EMTs underground. I managed to find out that one guy has one but he has gone abroad. I am not sure of the model. But I should be getting a Linn Sondek and hopefully a mint Thorens 124 with 12" SME arm shortly

Nice work Anil and nice pictures. Soon your signature is going to be the longest, or maybe it is going to change by the day....

Hi,

The next EMT 938 I lay my hands on, belongs to you. That's a promise. I know you have quite a number of illustrious TTs and a 938 will add to the sheen.

Anil, :signthankspin::signthankspin::signthankspin:

I am at a loss for words,you are too generous.

Regards
Rajiv

Hi Anil,

Congratulation on your aquisition on second EMT TT.

It is really very nice restoration and beautiful pictures.

Those dustcovers seem to be perfect fit for yout EMT.

I request you provide more photographs of your hifi rack to see other related instruments.

Your Rack Looks so Cool ... Great job

if you wish , you can use my MC Phono Pre to chk difference... its from sachin

i used it for Denon DL 160 cart ... it was awesome

Congrats and Keep looking at your rack .. ;)

Regards

Tanoj

Hey Anil - Clearly you are passionate about turntables. Passion and hobby is one, but surely its that love for these beauties we can see with your restoration projects....Salud

I'd love to catch up with you sometime.

Cheers...

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back