Selecting a projector for living room HT.

Dr.Lakshay

Hi guys,
Now that I have completely setup my 4.1.2 setup, a 42" TV just doesn't cut it for the movie experience. So I'm thinking of getting a projector.
I have the space for a maximum of 110" diagnol screen and have a throw distance of about 10.5' - 11'.
Keeping this in mind i have shortlisted 4 projectors as follows. These are arranged as per my preference:

1. BenQ ht 2050a - 650usd
2. Epson home cinema 2150 - 600usd
3. Optoma hd39hdr - 800usd
4. BenQ ht 3050 - 720usd

Now i have the option of a relative hand carrying it from usa so it will be bought in the USA.

Option 1 and 2 are very similar in performance only Epson having a little more brightness and BenQ giving me a little more flexibility in terms of screen size adjustments.

Option 3- some people say it can be blindingly bright so I am unsure about it.

Option 4- it's an old model so not very interested in it.

If you guys have any other projector that you think I should consider please let me know.

Please help me decide which one to finalise. I am specifically looking for a comparison of pros and cons between BenQ 2050a and optoma hd39hdr.

Regards

Now that I have completely setup my 4.1.2 setup, a 42" TV just doesn't cut it for the movie experience. So I'm thinking of getting a projector. I have the space for a maximum of 110" diagnol screen and have a throw distance of about 10.5' - 11'.

Good choice to move to projector, especially with more movie watching capable due to streaming services..

If you guys have any other projector that you think I should consider please let me know.

I have no experience with the models you have listed, but they all should be just fine..

You may also consider Xgimi H1/H2.. I have been using H1 for abt 2 yrs time now, using it as a replacement for TV.. A very satisfied user of Xgimi..

And also consider the LF PF 1500 W, an other LED projector.. Incase if it is still aval..

Hi guys,
Now that I have completely setup my 4.1.2 setup, a 42" TV just doesn't cut it for the movie experience. So I'm thinking of getting a projector.
I have the space for a maximum of 110" diagnol screen and have a throw distance of about 10.5' - 11'.
Keeping this in mind i have shortlisted 4 projectors as follows. These are arranged as per my preference:

4. BenQ ht 3050 - 720usd

Now i have the option of a relative hand carrying it from usa so it will be bought in the USA.

Option 1 and 2 are very similar in performance only Epson having a little more brightness and BenQ giving me a little more flexibility in terms of screen size adjustments.

Please help me decide which one to finalise. I am specifically looking for a comparison of pros and cons between BenQ 2050a and optoma hd39hdr.

Regards
I have been using the Epson Home Cinema 2150 for the last one and half years. Feed it with full HD signal and it will surprise you with details and clarity under controlled lighting conditions.I enjoy my movies on a 120" screen.
My 2 cents

I have been using the Epson Home Cinema 2150 for the last one and half years. Feed it with full HD signal and it will surprise you with details and clarity under controlled lighting conditions.I enjoy my movies on a 120" screen.
My 2 cents
How does it fare in light? For example with a tubelight on, how are the colors and viewing experience? How good is it with set top box?
Also could you let me know how much you bought it for (if from India) ?

Good choice to move to projector, especially with more movie watching capable due to streaming services..

I have no experience with the models you have listed, but they all should be just fine..

You may also consider Xgimi H1/H2.. I have been using H1 for abt 2 yrs time now, using it as a replacement for TV.. A very satisfied user of Xgimi..

And also consider the LF PF 1500 W, an other LED projector.. Incase if it is still aval..
I'd keep it as option if I were importing from China. But currently I'd like to stick to mainstream brands.
Epson 3700 is on offer (bestbuy). Grab it before stock exhausts.
Thanks will see.
Edit: checked it its an older model. I think for that much amount optoma hd39hdr will be better as it has the capability to play 4khdr with better dynamics. Is there something I'm missing?

Last edited:
Hi guys,

4. BenQ ht 3050 - 720usd

Regards
You may look at Viewsonic Projectors as well... I am using one from it ..its working more than 5 years . Did not replace bulb even once yet.
My usage 3-4 movies per month. They are VFM comparing to above brands.

How does it fare in light? For example with a tubelight on, how are the colors and viewing experience? How good is it with set top box?
If you want to view movies with any light on, then better to ditch your projector plans and buy 55-60 inch TV instead.

You may look at Viewsonic Projectors as well... I am using one from it ..its working more than 5 years . Did not replace bulb even once yet.
My usage 3-4 movies per month. They are VFM comparing to above brands.
Did have a look at them but dropped them while short listing.
If you want to view movies with any light on, then better to ditch your projector plans and buy 55-60 inch TV instead.
Movie watching would be in dark but I'm enquiring for the occasional news, music videos etc. The projector screen would anyhow come in front of the already placed TV. Don't have the scope to place a bigger TV in the space I have. A drop down projector screen is possible though.

Edit: checked it its an older model. I think for that much amount optoma hd39hdr will be better as it has the capability to play 4khdr with better dynamics. Is there something I'm missing?

Yes it's an older model and it's 1080p. But in terms of PQ, it's very good.

Benq PJ gave me headache. Buy after demo only.

At present using ht2050 for two and half years... Bought in the US. benq has very good contrast and has vertical lens shift. Ht2050 has glass lens. These were the advantages which made me choose ht2050 and i am very happy with my choice. If you have a light controlled room then ht2050 will give best contrast for the price which will help in darker movie scenes. Con is bulb is costly.

This projector is at it's best in a dark room.With tubelights on the projected image is quite washed out.Projectors are meant to be used in light controlled environment for best results.As another forum member suggested for a living room environment it's wise to go for a large screen tv for viewing images.

my 2 cents

To my knowledge, projectors with traditional lamps should not be turned on several times a day. I think, the safe interval is about 3 hours between Turning off and Turning on to save on bulb life. Some people don't even turn off for the whole day and some use it just once a day and both seem to be good with lamp life. If the timing interval of at least 3 hours is okay, you can go with traditional projectors else, a good LED or laser Projectors would do.

Cheers.

Yes it's an older model and it's 1080p. But in terms of PQ, it's very good.

Benq PJ gave me headache. Buy after demo only.
The chances of getting an audition are quite less as none available in Ghaziabad.
At present using ht2050 for two and half years... Bought in the US. benq has very good contrast and has vertical lens shift. Ht2050 has glass lens. These were the advantages which made me choose ht2050 and i am very happy with my choice. If you have a light controlled room then ht2050 will give best contrast for the price which will help in darker movie scenes. Con is bulb is costly.
Thanks. I'm currently leaning towards BenQ only.

This projector is at it's best in a dark room.With tubelights on the projected image is quite washed out.Projectors are meant to be used in light controlled environment for best results.As another forum member suggested for a living room environment it's wise to go for a large screen tv for viewing images.

my 2 cents
Thanks.
To my knowledge, projectors with traditional lamps should not be turned on several times a day. I think, the safe interval is about 3 hours between Turning off and Turning on to save on bulb life. Some people don't even turn off for the whole day and some use it just once a day and both seem to be good with lamp life. If the timing interval of at least 3 hours is okay, you can go with traditional projectors else, a good LED or laser Projectors would do.

Cheers.
I guess that should be doable at most times.

Better to choose a laser or led based projector as already said by another fm, traditional lamp projector cannot be switched on and off like a tv. It will reduce the lamp life considerably. Though i use the benq ht2050 as a tv replacement in my bedroom daily atleast for 3 hours a day for the last 2 and a half years i restrict switching it off and on to only once a day, instead put in eco mode if i need a break of 10 min or so. So there is always the lamp life apprehension with traditional lamp projectors

None of these are 4k ? Why not look at a 4k projector with so much of 4k content available. I have a 1080p projector but it falls short of my LG C9 OLED. Go for clarity of 4k which you will notice given the screen size.

None of these are 4k ? Why not look at a 4k projector with so much of 4k content available. I have a 1080p projector but it falls short of my LG C9 OLED. Go for clarity of 4k which you will notice given the screen size.
I agree. Its almost 2020 now. Your projecter will last for about 5 years easily. Dont remain stuck with 1080p. I have been using BenQ 2050 since past 2 years. Though I am happy with it, If I buy any projector today, it will be 4K.

Agreed 4K can be good.. Will hang on to 1080p for some more time, only coz broadband speed capability.. 8 Mbps is the max i get in my area.. Projector is also being used by wife & kids to watch videos & serials, which are mostly 1080p.. So restricted it to 1080p..

Also with movie streaming catching up, am hoping someone might bring a Native 21:9 projector.. So eyeing that too :p

I do understand the 4k suggestions. But first of all I am foraying into projector for the first time. I don't want to spend 2-4k usd and not use the projector for months altogether.
Secondly, the cheaper 4k projectors are not true 4k and the true 4k ones are prohibitively costly for a small and modest living room HT like mine.
So I'd like to get a budget projector, get the hang of it, and upgrade after some years when I get a dedicated HT room. Till then the 4k market would be more mature.

Meanwhile I have selected the BenQ 2050a as it ticks most boxes for me. Hoping to receive it next month when my uncle visits me.

If I had even a foot more of throw distance available I would have gone for Epson 2150 as it won't have rainbow effect, has a bit more brightness, the the brightness is more even and the replacement bulbs are cheaper. Same goes for the recommended Epson 3700, it's a tight fit for the throw distance i have and if there is a slight decrease in throw distance because of measurement errors or mountings or anything, I will end up with a smaller screen size. So don't want to take a chance there.
I gather that optoma hd39hdr could be too bright so I don't want to take a chance with it without a demo.
So went with BenQ 2050a as it's the widely accepted by the av community all over the world. It fits easily into the throw distance limitations i have.
Hope this thread helps others who are in the same dilemma.
I sincerely thank each and everyone of you for the suggestions and feedbacks.
Soon the search for an acoustic transparent drop down screen will start (preferably motorised). I hope you all will be helping me out again there.
Till then let's get back to our busy lives.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back