Setting up a new home theatre !!

ajay.narasimhan

I am from Chennai. I know most of my questions will be repetitions and I have gone through many threads in this forum. They have been of great help.
I am looking to setup an entry to mid level home theatre system in my apartment.
I am clueless as to many aspects of this setup at present. I would like to split the topic into a few doubts.
My budget as of now is around 60 -70 K. I don't mind building step by step.

AV Receiver - 5 channel or 7 channel ? Room size is not
1. Marantz NR 1509 - This caught my eye at some store and was doing some reading on it. The store guy says it is an old model and not to go for it. Would you recommend it? What are the other options at my budget?

Speakers
Is it good to go for a 5.0 now and get a subwoofer later on.
if we go for a 5.o what are the good options?
Klipsch reference theatre pack? -

My dealer recommend Elac Cinema 5

I am actually confused now.

Please suggest some good options and I will see if I can work it within my budget

Personally, I would stay away from "packs", not saying they are bad, it is just personal preference. In your place, I would perhaps go with a receiver + fronts. As far as receiver is concerned, I feel, unless you sure of what you want, go with the one that has everything :D, so that later you don't regret it. So 7 channel ;p.

Given your budget, maybe look at the yamaha receivers, they pack a lot.of.features for the price.

1. Marantz NR 1509 - This caught my eye at some store and was doing some reading on it. The store guy says it is an old model and not to go for it. Would you recommend it? What are the other options at my budget?

About buying older model of AVR, I am totally in favor of it. The AVR's keep on updating so fast there is no way you can keep up to it. Now coming to the point whether you should buy Marantz NR1509 or not, depends on questions like do you want 7 channel setup or happy with 5 channel setup? Are you planning to add dolby atmos in the future?

According to your budget and keeping things a little future proof I will suggest you to go with Yamaha RX-V585 or Denon X-2400 (if you can get a good deal on that).

I am from Chennai. I know most of my questions will be repetitions and I have gone through many threads in this forum. They have been of great help.
I am looking to setup an entry to mid level home theatre system in my apartment.
I am clueless as to many aspects of this setup at present. I would like to split the topic into a few doubts.

Speakers

Please suggest some good options and I will see if I can work it within my budget
My suggestion is to go in for a 7ch at least and not 5. What I realised when I was in the same place as you are now is that we make mistakes sometimes when choosing the right product.
Think what you like to do? Movies or Music. If it’s mostly music all the time then with a good Integrated amp and good FS, that will fit in your initial budget, may be keep + or - 10. If it’s music and movies then go in for a AVR with at least 7ch. HT is a big bug and would bite you until you finish the set up completely.
There are a lot of options available out there so please take your time, think what’s your requirement and go ahead.

Speakers

As suggested by FM, if your open to build step-step then go with Denon-1400H or Marantz-NR1609 that way you have covered most of the features like Atmos, dts-x and other connectivity options. If your ok with preowned speakers look at below on sale MA BS by @shyamv to start off with. You can leverage bi-amp on AVR & MA Speaker, I’m sure u won’t need subwoofer to start off with above config. Slowly buy centre speaker and so on... build as per your interest.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back