Setting up an HiFi with Norge Mosfet 2000.

tsr

Friends,

I am planning to setup an entry level HiFi system for home usage. Norge Mosfet 2000 amplifier paired with Norge Millennium or WH 9.2 bookshelfs are in my mind. Can anyone guide me on this or suggest any better combination. My budget is max 30K.

Regards

If bookshelves are what you are looking at ..... then Norge 2060 is more than sufficient.

Norge 1000 / 2000 would require floor standers.

Friends,

I am planning to setup an entry level HiFi system for home usage. Norge Mosfet 2000 amplifier paired with Norge Millennium or WH 9.2 bookshelfs are in my mind. Can anyone guide me on this or suggest any better combination. My budget is max 30K.

Regards

What do you plan to use upstream of the amplifier? What equipment do you want for your 30K?

What do you plan to use upstream of the amplifier? What equipment do you want for your 30K?

very pertinent qn,keith.yet,i suppose tsr has posted coz he just wants some brands/models/and such to fix upon.

here goes,..

1.marantz cd5001/ca 340c as players
2.ca 340a/norge 1000/norge 2000 mosfet as amps
3.ca s30/wharf 9.1/9.2/mission m32i as spkrs

better still,go the used route.you would get far more value and,much better components in the bargain!!cheers

Thanks for your inputs.

I am planning to have the basic components ready now and upgrade to a good hifi system. So my priority goes as follows...

Immediate 30K for...
-------------------
1. A good amp which will support me through upgrade as well. (Norge 2000 in mind)
2. A pair of speakers (not keen to spend as am planning to use existing 15 years old sony 8 ohms 90RMS with 5" driver and tweeter, the sound quality is very good compared to sony we now get in market), pls comment on the expected sound quality. if not good I may go for a new pair of Norge Mellinium / WH 9.1.

Upgrade Plan
------------
3. A good cd player with USB + Ipod connectivity
4. A good pair of floor standing speakers

Thanks for your inputs.
I am planning to have the basic components ready now and upgrade to a good hifi system by next year. So my priority goes as follows...

Immediate 30K
---------------
1. A good amp which will support me through upgrade as well. (Norge 2000 in mind)
2. A pair of speakers (not keen to spend as am planning to use existing 15 years old sony 8 ohms, 90W RMS with 5" driver and tweeter, the sound quality is very good compared to sony we now get in market), pls comment on the expected sound quality. if not good I may go for a pair (Norge Mellinium / WH 9.1)

Upgrade Plan
-------------
3. A cd player with USB + Ipod connectivity
4. A AM/FM receiver.
5. A good pair of floor standing speakers

Pls share your views.

If bookshelves are what you are looking at ..... then Norge 2060 is more than sufficient.

Norge 1000 / 2000 would require floor standers.

With all due respect, I would suggest not to write such misguiding blanket statements. It will confuse people big time.

Even a 1000 watt Krell would not "require" a floorstander...it is your choice, what you would like to pair it with. It is the speaker which draws current as per its requirements, the amp should have sufficient to deliver it..that is the only clause. The more the amp is at ease delivering that power, the better would be the musical flow.

To give you an analogy...it is current in your wall socket...you can either connect a heater drawing 2000 watts or just a radio consuming 10 watts to the same wall socket. Whatever is required by the appliance, it draws. Nothing blows. In audio it is the same...the speaker should ideally see an infinite source of current so that it can draw as much as it requires to reproduce a particular instance of music. Unfortunately nothing is infinite, so the more is always better, provided you are not compromising on the quality of the power.

The only thing to take care of is not to play it extremely loud as the speakers will not be able to handle the power it is demanding...call it suicide.

Last edited:
TSR,
I would suggest something like this:

Studio > SM Series

I have heard them, they are way more refined and musical than what you can get from the entry level electronics and speakers you have mentioned. These are active powered speakers (amplifiers are in built).
There is a volume control in front of it. You do not need any external preamp or volume control which anyway would have caused a reduction in sound quality and would have added to the cost.

Try to get a listen.

TSR,
I would suggest a Marantz CDP anyday. Cambridge audio sounds pretty analytical to my ears. NAD has a lot of reliability issues.

Thanks for your inputs.

I am planning to have the basic components ready now and upgrade to a good hifi system. So my priority goes as follows...

Immediate 30K for...
-------------------
2. A pair of speakers (not keen to spend as am planning to use existing 15 years old sony 8 ohms 90RMS with 5" driver and tweeter, the sound quality is very good compared to sony we now get in market), pls comment on the expected sound quality. if not good I may go for a new pair of Norge Mellinium / WH 9.1.

Upgrade Plan
------------
3. A good cd player with USB + Ipod connectivity
4. A good pair of floor standing speakers
Tsr, i hope you have auditioned the Norge 2000. If not, pl try to before deciding.
You can also check out used amps from marantz,nad,ca etc.
Where in Kerala are you located?

Thanks Dr.Bass & Iaudio

Dr.Bass : good explanation / example given. thank you.

Iaudio : I am located in Kochin, and I have not auditioned Norge2000, but heard good comments from a friend having music taste similar to mine. Also spoke to Mr. Shyam Bajaj @ NORGE, he explained that 2000 is having a kind of laid-back sound which is very soothing to ears and he suggested the 2000 for my music needs (gazals, melodies, hindustani, soofi collections, instrumentals, old collections, and some rahman songs). I normally keep the low & high increased and mid ranges reduced on my existing sony system using its custom equalizer. With Norge 2000 I am planning to pair WH 9.2. My over all expectation is to have Good bass and Good high range at low volumes.

Ok, so the amp part is decided. Just that I thought how other amps would sound with your music.
About the speakers, check out other bookshelves in that budget from PSB, Paradigm, Mission, CA etc

Yes, today I placed an order with Mr.Bajaj for Norge Mosfet 2000..Now abt speakers, but not able to decide between wharfedale 9.2 and mission m32i/33i.. confused:sad:...audio experts pls help..

Thanks

i have the missions but I would suggest the wharf 9.2 - its a tried and tested setup. Even you can pair it with a pioneer 610 for starters and then move on to a dedicated cdp.

Mr. Bajaj quoted 12K for the amp (courier charges to pay), and its around 1K less than what others quoted for the same from Bangalore. Am almost narrowing down to WH 9.2... 14K is the quote from bangalore for WH 9.2 + courier charges..In fact mission was proposed by a local dealer, he was not +ve for Norge Amp as well.. But anyways, I decided to go for it....

TSR, great to talk to you over phone. You are welcome to come and listen to my humble set up.
Good luck with the auditions of Wharfedale, Quad,11l2, Psb etc.

And, Congrats on the new Norge 2000.

Last edited:
Thanks iaudio for sharing your valuable views, i will surely try to get audition on the suggested models. Will keep you updated on my progress.. Thanks once again.

oh goody :clapping:!!u got the norge 2000 mosfet.was my first choice in a budget amp ;).dont judge immediately on connecting it up,let it play a bit.enjoy.on another note even tho the wharfs are good,i feel the combo may get a little too laid back.choose well,and audition the others pls!!cheers

Hi TSR,
I second what Rally is saying here (even though I haven't heard the N-2000)...
Don't combine two bass-inclined components. You might end up with too much bass and just about ok rest of freq.

I would suggest MA BR2 bookshelf (a warm sounding but not bass-inclined spkr) and Usher 520 @ 17k that is on sale in the Sale by owner section. Some have claimed the forward sounding Usher 520 pairs well with bass-inclined amp like NAD 3020. So N-2000 should also pair will with Usher 520.

Regards,
oh goody ... .... i feel the combo may get a little too laid back.choose well,and audition the others pls!!cheers

Back