Shall i buy BD Player or Build HTPC

nicenicenicee

In short i have seen some Oppo BD player on hifi mart as expensive as 64K, i am wondering the advantage?

Can experts or FMs who have experienced both type of devices (HTPC & BD Player), share their experience?

Do you find any difference in PQ / SQ, when playing same content via both of these?

any existing thread refrence would also be appreciated?

I also feel so that no matter what oppo puts in their devices, an intel / AMD processor with a peice of software is capable enough to process picture / sound equally (if not less). but pour in your views guys.

Thanks.

Last edited:
HTPC or PC is what I'd recommend. I don't have a dedicated Blu-Ray player but have a PS3 which does the job well, but my only gripe is its a locked system that does not play all formats or ripped content (even legal content that I own). Blu-ray region coding is another example. Its the same problem with Apple too... getting anything to play via network on the iPad is a pain, requires paid apps, or some media formats don't play at all. It's not the h/w but the locked proprietary s/w from the likes of Sony, Apple, etc. that's to blame.

Just for the ability to upgrade (both s/w and h/w) and the fact a PC handles every media format well I'd recommend the PC. Even more a PC if you source content from friends, relatives, online, etc. where region coding may differ.

HTPC or PC is what I'd recommend. I don't have a dedicated Blu-Ray player but have a PS3 which does the job well, but my only gripe is its a locked system that does not play all formats or ripped content (even legal content that I own). Blu-ray region coding is another example. Its the same problem with Apple too... getting anything to play via network on the iPad is a pain, requires paid apps, or some media formats don't play at all. It's not the h/w but the locked proprietary s/w from the likes of Sony, Apple, etc. that's to blame.

Just for the ability to upgrade (both s/w and h/w) and the fact a PC handles every media format well I'd recommend the PC. Even more a PC if you source content from friends, relatives, online, etc. where region coding may differ.

Musicbee,
Thanks for your views, apart from this ripped content constraint.
What are your view on the PQ, sound quality, system stability. Does ripped BDs on PCs are as clear on BD Player?

And remember a BD Disk drive is available in 6K on flipkarts in india. In your opinion, do you think that kind of setup would give performance like of Pioneers/toshibas/Oppos.....?

Last edited:
PQ and SQ will be the same but ease of use definitely is with a BDP. But do consider that playing other content will be a major limitation with a BDP. If that's not a concern then go with a BDP, but if you rent movies then other region content will not play. I've had this problem even with DVDs back in the day and only the PC was a solution.

You can look for Pioneer BDP-160 last yrs model in ebay for around 8.5k
It is a good BDP

Thx sunil,
But if an htpc can meet media server need with comparable perf, thn i wud be more inclined to build htpc, will put mobile pics and video, i also hv a dlna tv which cud play movies ovr my network

BDP is convenient. Many BDPs can handle the media streaming from the attached HDD. Anyone at home can use it with ease.

HTPC is more versatile, no worries about format. May become difficult for all to use, however can be moded using softwares like XBMC, as a dedicated media player.

I personally use HTPC. Also has a setup of Xtreamer sidewinder for parents.

BDP is convenient. Many BDPs can handle the media streaming from the attached HDD. Anyone at home can use it with ease.

HTPC is more versatile, no worries about format. May become difficult for all to use, however can be moded using softwares like XBMC, as a dedicated media player.

I personally use HTPC. Also has a setup of Xtreamer sidewinder for parents.

Bdp which can stream frm hdd are in which price range?
The most basic will cost me how much?

What are your view on the PQ, sound quality, system stability. Does ripped BDs on PCs are as clear on BD Player?

And remember a BD Disk drive is available in 6K on flipkarts in india. In your opinion, do you think that kind of setup would give performance like of Pioneers/toshibas/Oppos.....?

When it comes to playing blu rays the PC and BDP should give out identical output technically since no upscaling is coming into picture. The only thing on PC that you would need to bother is getting the softwares in right tandem.

However when it comes to upscaling from non-HD to HD content there you may find a difference. All entry level BDPs and TVs do some sort of upscaling on the other and the quality of upscaling varies depending on the video chip on board. Even for PCs there are custom software upscaling methods like DXVA, madVR which eats CPU power and delivers good upscaling. Hence the cost of some of the highly expensive BDPs out there in the market which apart from the video chip also has good quality DAC chip built for improving Audio CD playback but that is a different topic altogether.

I would say if given the option of budget sub 20K, I would always go with PC with the right softwares. For 20K+ budget go for separate BDP and for less than 10K budget there is limited option but still BDP should be the way to go unless you have a existing PC to do a BD Drive upgrade.

But if you have variety of ripped contents formats then BDP (even costly ones) might not support all of them gracefully including future formats (unless there is a manufacturer made firmware upgrade to intentionally allow compatibility) in which case a PC or a media player will again b your saviour.

Even the Sony BDPs in sub 10K range has USB inputs which can play from a plugged in USB hard drive.

with all above discussion i am getting inclined to build htpc now because:

a) one pentium 4 PC is lying unused (kb/motherboard/mouse/cabinet/PSU/processor/RAM/wireless dongle / UPS / Monitor) will be reused.
b) i can deposit and play mobile pics/videos on my DLNA complaint TV.
c) Tomorrow if i want i can upgrade it
d) I will still be able to use this same PC for other usages.
e) I Will have a flexibility to make it a GAMING PC (by step wise upgrades)
f) I am technical so i think i will be capable to deal with technical things if the comes up (ofcourse with help of experts on hifivision).
g) i will have flexibility to play unlimited no. of formats
h) upgrading a PC is more useful and can be used for many other things than a BD player.

Assumption is:
a) PQ/SQ is comparable (at par)
b) upscales can be achieved using software side as well.

though I will have to buy:
a) either of 1/2/3 TB of hDD

Future upgrades, i can think of:

a) Blu ray drive. (if i want to).
b) a mother board with HDMI output. (too hook to my AVR).

Problem at the moment where i need support to make this whole thing work is:

my ARC is not working from Viera to denon 1612. If that solves i won't even need motherboard upgrade.

any help or pointers to help are appreciated.

Any other thoughts are also welcome.

Regards,

Did your ARC never worked before or stopped working all of a sudden? Can you also let me know the exact motherboard model of your P4 PC?

Did your ARC never worked before or stopped working all of a sudden? Can you also let me know the exact motherboard model of your P4 PC?

well i tried to use it three weeks before, my tv is more than one year old.
so i have never seen it working.

TV HDMI (Port2) ==> Denon HDMI (Monitor).
on TV side ==> audio out i selected in settings
on Denon side ==> HDMI config(or something like that ) ==> ON.

so i don't know what is the issue
My TV needs firmware upgrade? but i want to be sure.

My mother board is

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=1889#sp

GA-8I915GV-M

It should be Denon HDMI out to TV HDMI IN (HDMI 1 mostly, please recheck the TV manual as not all HDMIs support ARC)

Then in Denon select input as TV and see if the audio is coming.

Regarding your P4 CPU+Mobo, I would suggest to see if the PSU / SMPS has 20 + 4 pin connectors to the motherboard in which case I would suggest to just upgrade the motherboard for 4.5K with AMD E350N combo motherboard that has HDMI out and has in built CPU along with a RAM for 1.5K. Another risky (not tested) approach can be adding a HDMI enabled pcie-x1 Graphics Card to existing setup , but proceed with research and caution for 2nd approach.

It should be Denon HDMI out to TV HDMI IN (HDMI 1 mostly, please recheck the TV manual as not all HDMIs support ARC)

Then in Denon select input as TV and see if the audio is coming.

Regarding your P4 CPU+Mobo, I would suggest to see if the PSU / SMPS has 20 + 4 pin connectors to the motherboard in which case I would suggest to just upgrade the motherboard for 4.5K with AMD E350N combo motherboard that has HDMI out and has in built CPU along with a RAM for 1.5K. Another risky (not tested) approach can be adding a HDMI enabled pcie-x1 Graphics Card to existing setup , but proceed with research and caution for 2nd approach.

This is pana ut50d,
Has arc on port 2. Confirmed

Will check input as tv and will see.

And by the way thx for advise above. This is why i am fan of this community

Another risky (not tested) approach can be adding a HDMI enabled pcie-x1 Graphics Card to existing setup , but proceed with research and caution for 2nd approach.

I looked at this.

Asus AMD/ATI Radeon HD 5450 1 GB DDR3 Graphics Card - Asus : Flipkart.com

but i am not sure if my mobo supports pcie 2.1

Another thing I am wondering is:
How people are connecting their HTPC in general , they are using it as media server which picks up media from it and plays (DLNA) over home network?
or it is hooked up to HDMI port? Directly (like you connect your BD Player)?

What are pros and cons of both sides?

Last edited:
just a word of caution, your mobo bios will not (in all probability) support a 1 TB HDD.
A P4 technically as a processor might be ok for playing cacual rips but the mobo compatibility is a serious issue with the current gen hardware.

Its better to invest and get a current gen components, which anyhow for an HTPC are pretty cheap. AMD E350N is a nice example, coupled with a 2 GB ram and an ITX case, you will get a pretty decent HTPC for under 15K. Or under 10K as well if you already have HDD.

About your other query, most of us including me are using HTPC as a media player, connected to AVR and then AVR to display. From where HTPC picks the data/movies is different for all of us. Mostly use the inbuilt HDD itself, but quite a few people...... like me have a dedicated NAS attached to the network and HTPC picks the media from NAS itself.

I looked at this.

Asus AMD/ATI Radeon HD 5450 1 GB DDR3 Graphics Card - Asus : Flipkart.com

but i am not sure if my mobo supports pcie 2.1

This is a pcie x16 card which will not fit in your pcie 1x slot. Speed wise the pcie x1 is same as ordinary pci slot but I doubt if you will get supporting drivers for your existing platform even if you manage to find a pcie-x1 graphics card with HDMI / DVI out. So I had suggested to upgrade to GA E350N combo which will give your good on board video and enough to support 1080p 2D video but may not support running all upscaling algorithms (madVR, etc) in their highest settings since those eat a lot of hardware resources..

Another thing I am wondering is:
How people are connecting their HTPC in general , they are using it as media server which picks up media from it and plays (DLNA) over home network?
or it is hooked up to HDMI port? Directly (like you connect your BD Player)?

What are pros and cons of both sides?

I think in most cases the HTPC connects directly to AVR or TV over HDMI and the media locally stored on hard disk or USB drives. If the HTPC is playing back from its own hard drives then you do not need UPnP however if you want to share your HTPC stored media to other networked devices then only you would need to run DLNA / UPnP server on your HTPC.

So I had suggested to upgrade to GA E350N combo which will give your good on board video and enough to support 1080p 2D video but may not support running all upscaling algorithms (madVR, etc) in their highest settings since those eat a lot of hardware resources..

Well, I own a 3D TV, so would like to invest in something which is capable enough to handle upscaling algos, as well as 3D stuff.

what would you recommend?

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back