Share your favorite Album cover art

Hiten

Hello Everyone,
I have been listening to vinyls since few years, and now am thinking of starting to collect album cover artwork as well. This will be different from listening to vinyls as for album cover art I will not be interested in music. (Only artwork of that album) Some will be in my collection and few aesthetically beautiful and meaning full will be put in frame on the wall. As you may know some well known artists did cover art for various artists in the past. There is also special grammy award category for album cover art. So far few covers which I like are as follows.

60222.jpg
PinkFloyd%20DarkSide%20250.jpg
200803191050040.jpg
beatles-revolver.jpg
B00006C77O.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_V61559483_.jpg

Last artwork is Lemon Jelly's Lost horizon album. Kindly share your favorite album covers here. Will be of great help.
Regards
Hiten

Last edited:
The album cover, by Nels Israelson and Hugh Syme, is a photograph a lady sitting at a dressing table, looking in a mirror. However, if the cover is viewed at arm's length or from a distance, it takes the form of a skull (a type of vanitas art), the woman's head forming the left eye socket, and her reflected head in the mirror forming the right eye socket. The mirror itself forms the shape of the skull and the accessories on the dressing table form the nose, nostrils and teeth. It was inspired by Charles Allan Gilbert's most famous work, All Is Vanity (1892).

source:Retro Active - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Attachments

• Def_Leppard_-_Retro_Active.jpg
    Def_Leppard_-_Retro_Active.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 273
from Wiki (where else?)
The album cover for The Velvet Underground & Nico is recognizable for featuring a Warhol print of a banana on the cover. Early copies of the album invited the owner to "Peel slowly and see"; peeling back the banana skin revealed a flesh-colored banana underneath. A special machine was needed to manufacture these covers (one of the causes of the album's delayed release), but MGM paid for costs figuring that any ties to Warhol would boost sales of the album.Most reissued vinyl editions of the album do not feature the peel-off sticker; the original copies of the album with the peel-sticker feature are now rare collector's items. A Japanese re-issue LP in the early 1980s was the only re-issue version to include the banana sticker for many years."

the album itself is good listening.....

Last edited:
Wow this is a new world in itself. Very interesting.
Some artist are famous for use of their technique like Shepard Fairey.

00020066_zeitgeist.jpg
45794.jpg
billy-idol-idolize-yourself-the-very-best-of-2008-uk-2-disc-cddvd-set-2151432-7183375.jpeg

His obama poster is massively popular
shepard-fairey.jpg

@ murali : yes I have Georgio record. Like their music too. your name reminds me most of Indian Vinyl artwork is done by Murali Mohan, Mohan Wagh (Raj Thackrey's Father in law) and their illustrations are lovely
@ oracle1974 : A meaning in artwork will make it more collectible. Thanks
@moktan : Andy warhol is one of my favourit. His psychedelic Marilyn Monroe and chairman mao are famous. His quote "Everyone will be famous for 15 minutes. " sounds true in these times with all this media exposure etc.

Tip : While posting you can search in google image with size option (on left side (I use around 240 pixel x 240 pixel) and copy paste that link in your post with link image option) it will be easy and quick and will save your personal image attachment space.

@grubyhalo : was just posting you beat me to it. :) Pink floyd cover art is very much liked by everyone. Artist is Storm Thorgerson. some of his work is...
10_large.jpg
1179.jpg
Butterflies-And-Hurricanes.jpg

(1) The Captain (2) Megadeath - Rude Awakening (3) Muse - Butterflies and hurricanes

Hi Guys,

This is my favourite album and the cover has always fascinated me.

cheers,
sri

Attachments

• eagles--hotel-california--albumcoverproject.com.jpg
    eagles--hotel-california--albumcoverproject.com.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 135
About the Hotel California Cover, am told that a certain 'Anton Levey' :rolleyes: appears to be standing in the tower.....

Might be worthwhile looking at Tool's artwork, especially since the band has done most of its own artwork and music videos. It also helps if your band member has done set design and special effects for Jurassic Park, Terminator etc.

Aenima's cover art stands out because apart from being designed by the band itself, it is a lenticular design (you see two images if you tilt the image back and forth). It also won a Grammy for the best package.

tool_aenima.jpg

The artwork on their recent album, 10,000 days is done by Alex Gray, is done in 3D, and the album comes with a pair of stereoscopic glasses to see the 3D artwork with.

tool_1000days_cover.jpg

2523637487_4bdaf49fc4_o.jpg

Edit: Aenima was only nominated for a Grammy for the packaging, it is 10,000 days that won a grammy for its packaging.

Last edited:
A popular Trivia question on the Mumbai Quiz Circuit many years back:
Q: Who is the "Fifth Beatle" on the album The Abbey Road?
A: Volkwagen Beetle

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abbey_Road

Album sleeve
The sleeve was designed by Apple Records creative director Kosh. It is the only original UK Beatles album sleeve to show neither the artist name nor the album title on its front cover.

ImageryThe front cover design, a photograph of the group traversing a zebra crossing, was based on sketched ideas by McCartney and taken on 8 August 1969 outside EMI Studios on Abbey Road. At around 11:30 that morning, photographer Iain Macmillan was given only ten minutes to take the photo whilst he stood on a step-ladder and a policeman held up the traffic.

In the scene, the group walk across the street in single file from left to right, with Lennon leading, followed by Starr, McCartney, and Harrison. McCartney is bare-foot. With the exception of Harrison, the group are wearing suits designed by Tommy Nutter. To the left of the picture, parked next to the zebra crossing, is a white Volkswagen Beetle motor-car which belonged to one of the people living in the block of flats across from the recording studio. After the album was released, the number plate (LMW 281F) was stolen repeatedly from the car. In 1986, the car was sold at auction for 2,530 and in 2001 was on display in a museum in Germany. The man standing on the pavement to the right of the picture is Paul Cole (c. 1911 13 February 2008), an American tourist unaware he had been photographed until he saw the album cover months later.

The image of the Beatles on the crossing has become one of the most famous and imitated in recording history. The crossing is a popular destination for Beatles fans and there is a webcam featuring it. In December 2010, the crossing was given grade II listed status for its "cultural and historical importance", the Abbey Road studios themselves had been given similar status earlier in the year.

Attachments

• beatles_-_abbey_road.jpg
    beatles_-_abbey_road.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back