Shipping a Turntable in long distance flights

aditya.d

Hi friends,

I have a Thorens TD 166 Mk 2 turntable at my house in Netherlands and plan to bring it back to India with me when I travel in April this year.

While I have referred to some material available on the net regarding how to properly pack turntables for shipping it still gives me goosebumps on whether I will receive the turntable without any damage while in the transport. Any suggestions / pointers for packing the TT will be highly appreciated. Attached is a picture of the TT.

Can you pls let me know if any of you have experience with shipping turntables / or have carried them with you in long distance flight travels? Is there a possibility that you may face any issues at the customs, etc? I do not have any tax invoice or proof of purchase for the TT.

Many thanks,
Aditya

Attachments

• Thorens.jpg
    Thorens.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 85
I have carried 2 turntables on separate journeys, both from the United States. Both were in original packing and I checked them in as hand baggage (I had only my laptop bag as the other hand luggage). When placing the package in the over-head luggage compartment, ensure that no-one puts stuff on it or pushes it about (not a bad idea to check in early. Also I used to ask for a aisle seat so that I can keep an eye on the overhead luggage compartment. I was never picked by Indian Customs because both TTs were brand new and I had the purchase documentation.

Thanks Reuben. as the TT is pretty old, I do not have the original packing nor the receipt. It also seems difficult for me to carry the TT as the cabin luggage as I already have a laptop bag and a DSLR kit bag so it seems that I will have to send it through check in!

Thanks Reuben. as the TT is pretty old, I do not have the original packing nor the receipt. It also seems difficult for me to carry the TT as the cabin luggage as I already have a laptop bag and a DSLR kit bag so it seems that I will have to send it through check in!

For how long have you been staying in the Netherlands? If its for atleast 3 months, then you can bring in used equipment worth Rs.12000/-. If you've been staying for over a year, then this limit goes up to Rs.75000/-

That's a good pointer, thanks! I have been living here for 2 yrs now so I should be able to fall in the later category.

For packing the turntable -

Remove the platter and pack separately.
Tie the tonearm to the tonearm rest.
The cover can be packed separately too.
Double-pack the turntable using two cardboard boxes and some packing foam in the corners.

why dont you get it packed by a professional there ?

not that i know of any.. but maybe some audio shop can help.

duty - i doubt there will be any issues with customs as long as it is personal baggage.

mpw

yes, since you've lived there for 2 years, you are entitled to bring in any stuff that you used over this period, which is termed at "personal effects" (its good to be sensitive to customs import regulations as since of late, Indian customs has become very strict)

If you checking the turntable in, you will have to get it packed as though you are going to ship it by courier. You will need to use a double-box packing, that is the turntable and platter separately packed and sealed with adequate thermocol packing, in a box. This box can be further put into a larger and stronger box filled with thermocol chips. This is the most recommended method. Of course, if you mark "fragile and do not stack" on the box, the airline staff will be a lot more careful with it, when compared to your friendly neighbourbood courier. You'll be personally handling the box to the airport and from the airport so that should lessen the risk.

I would not risk doing that, he is not using a hard-body strolley. Stacking can completely damage the TT if its packed that way. If you are checking it in, please package in a double box with suitable packing. If the TT has a dust cover, flip the dust cover over (like a tray) and fill it up with thermocol sheets for support, the TT, platter, the tonearm and dustcover must be detatched and packaged with thermocol inside the same inner box. Another option is you can hand carry the dustcover or platter or tonearm or combinations of these.

For packing the turntable -

Remove the platter and pack separately.
Tie the tonearm to the tonearm rest.
The cover can be packed separately too.
Double-pack the turntable using two cardboard boxes and some packing foam in the corners.

Follow these gidelines and also ensure that you lock the subchassis to the main chassis. The TD166 is a suspended subchassis tt.

You do not havethe original packing, but this link can help you understand how the original packing was done and help you pack it correctly.

shipping a turntable

Regards,

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back