Shocking experience with Aramex ( shipper for Amazon.com)

umeshdhingra

I had ordered a 4 TB , WD HDD on black friday from Amazon.com , which was shipped through, Aramex.
On 9 Dec , when the Aramex India local delivery guy came to hand the package, he asked for Rs 1958/- which he claimed was paid by Aramex as custom duty.
When I explained to the delivery boy that I had already paid the import fees to Amazon, this guy said that he will only deliver once the custom duty is given.
Now starts the shocking experience : When I asked this local delivery guy to give me a receipt that he has collected the custom duty , ( to my utter surprise) this guy says that I can keep the package and he will come in the evening with the receipt book and then collect the custom duty.
I wonder how many must have had a similar experience and also ended up getting duped by paying the custom duty .
Of course he never turned up and I have sent mails ( incl reminder) to Aramex India, but they have not bothered to even reply !
However , the emails sent to Amazon.com have got acknowledged and they are looking into this matter

I had ordered a 4 TB , WD HDD on black friday from Amazon.com , which was shipped through, Aramex.
On 9 Dec , when the Aramex India local delivery guy came to hand the package, he asked for Rs 1958/- which he claimed was paid by Aramex as custom duty.
When I explained to the delivery boy that I had already paid the import fees to Amazon, this guy said that he will only deliver once the custom duty is given.
Now starts the shocking experience : When I asked this local delivery guy to give me a receipt that he has collected the custom duty , ( to my utter surprise) this guy says that I can keep the package and he will come in the evening with the receipt book and then collect the custom duty.
I wonder how many must have had a similar experience and also ended up getting duped by paying the custom duty .
Of course he never turned up and I have sent mails ( incl reminder) to Aramex India, but they have not bothered to even reply !
However , the emails sent to Amazon.com have got acknowledged and they are looking into this matter

Obviously he was trying to loot you. Hope you had sent mail to the Senior Branch manager in the Delhi region - [email protected]

i had similar experience two weeks back after i ordered 4TB Seagate Backup Plus external hard disk from Amazon. While i was tracking the shipment on my Amazon account, the notification mentioned that the delivery was returned and that i need to contact Aramex. It took me two days to speak to their customer service agent as the Toll Free number would never materialize into a connection. no one picks your calls in those regional branch offices promptly. After confronting them they sent the delivery guy with my HDD after a week of following up! have written a very strong feedback to Amazon on their crappy last mile partner.

My experience with amazon.com/uk/de are good until now. I even got refund of some import fees. A common experience is that status of shipping suddenly goes to some black hole once it reached India. There is no transparency in details provided at all level.

I have never faced any such problems. Actually, they might not be trying to rip you off. The package list they bring shows the Import Duties paid by Aramex on your behalf. So they automatically think that you're supposed to pay for that.

I had this experience once. I was getting something shipped via Aramex SnS and when the delivery guy came, he asked only for the Custom Duties and not the Shipping charges. As it was labeled SnS, they thought I've paid the Shipping charges online. My brother unknowingly paid the amount he asked for and never checked as this didn't happen before. The guy came next day and told that he forgot to collect the Shipping charges.

In your case, he might not know that Amazon packages are all prepaid, he might be new to this. That's why he left the package with you and told you that he'll return in the evening and collect the amount. He checked with his office and never came back.

I hope you are correct ! But , had this been the reality , I a sure when I had sent emails to Aramex India , they would have replied , and , would have cleared the confusion ! Since I didn't receive any replies and even Amazon acknowledged to look into this matter , I still believe that the idea was to dupe me !

May be you're right. I just shared my experience with you.

About Amazon looking into this matter, I'm not sure if you'll hear anything else than "Sorry for the inconvenience caused".

Aramex never care about anyone until and unless he/she is their paid customers (or do they ?). Aramex SnS package forwarding facility at NY stole an iPhone 5 and blamed it on USPS. This happens everyday, especially when packages are delivered by USPS.

I once ordered a product via amazon uk and it was sent via dtdc once in India. No issues. Some of the custom fee was also refunded by amazon.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back