Shoes

moktan

I am sure there are lots of shoe aficionados here. This is the thread to discuss your balmorals, your bluchers and your brogues, and leather wise your cordovan, chromeexcel, horween etc here.
My shoes are modest. I have a few pairs of Dr Martens, some Solovair ( their Gibson boot, the brogue boot, another Gibson plaintoe blucher and a monkey boot) , Cheaney oxford toecap, and a Cheaney country shoe.
I use Saphir mink oil and Saphir polish for their upkeep.
More sartorially evolved forum members can flaunt their Edward Greens and their John Lobbs , their George Clevaerleys etc here.

I just checked the exact meaning of 'aficionados' and realized that I am not one of them but when it comes to shoes, I am also not the one who pick up anything but of course not in the league of whatever you have mentioned above :). Not sure where I stand but I have couple pairs of oxfords from Johnston Murphy and Perry Ellis. Then some casual shoes from Merrell and Clarks.

Back in India, I had some from Lotus Bawa and Mescos, not sure if they still exist.

I have a pair of Merrell running shoes bought aeons ago. They are still going strong. Thought I cannot say whether that is a testimony to their robust construction or my own diffident attitude to the morning jog.
I just checked the exact meaning of 'aficionados' and realized that I am not one of them but when it comes to shoes, I am also not the one who pick up anything but of course not in the league of whatever you have mentioned above :). Not sure where I stand but I have couple pairs of oxfords from Johnston Murphy and Perry Ellis. Then some casual shoes from Merrell and Clarks.

Back in India, I had some from Lotus Bawa and Mescos, not sure if they still exist.

Audio Aficionados talking about shoes...!!!
Amazing thread moktan, subscribed. I'm just learning (don't have nice enough shoes - yet)

Not an shoe aficionado, use it based on function :)
Skechers and Lee Cooper for meetings, North Face for trekking and sparx flip flops everywhere else :)

I have a pair of Merrell running shoes bought aeons ago. They are still going strong. Thought I cannot say whether that is a testimony to their robust construction or my own diffident attitude to the morning jog.
Several FMs would be wanting to be in Moktan's shoes listening to his set-up in the most picture perfect room.

This is an awesome thread Moktan!
Shoes are a really interesting subject (for me at least).

I have a few casual loafers for indoor use both at work and home.
For smart causal occasions my go to shoe is the brogue. Have at least 4 pairs.
I used to wear a brown suede single monk strap as my "daily driver" - great shoe.

I don't spend on uber brands but I pick the usual suspects for my frequent use.
Clarks, Hush Puppies, Cole Haan and Johnston & Murphy

In terms of a particular shoe that I would like to wear but don't have at the moment.
Brown/Grey/Blue color contrast brogues.

bluegreybrogue.jpg
o01ci228502s.jpg

Someone said ‘I am too poor to afford cheap shoes’. There is a certain truism in that. A well constructed shoe ( a Goodyear welt and full grain leather ) if taken good care of will last decades. Only the sole may need replacement. I am not much into dress shoes.
The most comfortable and interesting shoe I have worn is a monkey boot ( pioneered by the Czech army some say in the Second World War and popularized by The Monkeys).
The most versatile though is the brogue.

Jazz cats of the roaring twenties
were natty dressers. Think Louis Armstrong and his spectator (co-respondent) shoes .
Here is Satchmo with Shoeshine Boy.

I like Keen sandals a lot, but terribly expensive in India. Also Merrel for hiking. I do find Merrel a bit heavy and would gladly switch to lighter shoes if someone can recommend

I like Keen sandals a lot, but terribly expensive in India. Also Merrel for hiking. I do find Merrel a bit heavy and would gladly switch to lighter shoes if someone can recommend
Evolv and Five-Ten make good outdoor and trekking shoes, with special rubber compound soles that work very well on wet rocks, excellent for monsoon hikes.

Unusual but refreshing topic for a hifi forum.

"you can tell a lot about a person by his shoes" (shoe-o-phile)

Last edited:
Polishing shoes to that elusive high mirror shine can get as obsessive.
Unusual but refreshing topic for a hifi forum.

"you can tell a lot about a person by his shoes" (shoe-o-phile)

Another ‘affordable’ shoe is Meermin from Spain. Their shell cordovans ( from the Shiniki tannery when available) retail online for half the price as those from Alden or Carmina. Another great brand that is relatively affordable is JM Weston from France. And also Berwick , Yanko, Morjas and Paraboot.
Have a look towards Indian shoe start-up Neemans. Quite comfy

I normally prefer Clarks for office wear, Skechers for daily wear and John Fluevog for party wear. Fluevog shoes are Art Deco inspired. I have 3 pairs of Fluevog

Any Chacos fans here? They have a great following, but too heavy for my age. And they need your feet to be pretty, don't they?

Teva and keen sandals for hiking. Ted baker Chelsea boots for the dressy occasions. When I used to be in corporate sector, the most comfortable pair I had was a pair of Alfred Sargent oxfords.... But they looked a bit beat up, so my wife chucked them in the trash :(

Chucking an Alfred Sargent...that’s like giving the vinyl collection to the kabadiwalla ...
Teva and keen sandals for hiking. Ted baker Chelsea boots for the dressy occasions. When I used to be in corporate sector, the most comfortable pair I had was a pair of Alfred Sargent oxfords.... But they looked a bit beat up, so my wife chucked them in the trash :(

These days there are folks at The Leathery Laundry etc who do a good job of restoring shoes ..they will fix your soles , repaint the leather if needed ...I have had good experience with them ..

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back