Should I buy HMV STEREO 1010 record player?

omishra

Hi,

I just started getting vinyl records to my collection. So far looking only towards records and dreaming about Technics 1200MK2 TT within a year.

Meantime I would like to add some player. Should I buy this now or wait. Also it should not damage any of the records.

Thanks,

Last edited:
Hi,

I just started getting vinyl records to my collection. So far looking only towards records and dreaming about Technics 1200MK2 TT within a year.

Meantime I would like to add some player. Should I buy this now or wait. Also it should not damage any of the records.

Thanks,

Please avoid.

Regards,

Sachin

HMV 1010 was a sweet little stereo record player (3-speed) with detachable speakers and a supposedly 10watts/channel stereo built in amp (that's why the model number 1010). It came with a HMV stereo ceramic cartridge with a flip stylus (one side for 78rpm and the other for Microgroove records). This little record player cannot be used for hi-fi listening but is more than adequate if you are just interested in the music. I remember as a kid, going to the record store with my parents. They used to play records for the customers on an HMV 1010. I still remember who Englebert Humperdinck and Tom Jones sounded back then...anyways, comparing the 1010 to a Technics SL1200 from an expectations perspective is like trying to compare a Maruti 800 with a Rolls Royce Phantom. Both are ment to serve different purposes. Regarding wear and tear to records, again if your records are old (especially Hindi records), it is very likely that they were played quite often on players like these (HMVs were very common in those days). It is irrational to believe that your records would get damaged on a 1010 especially if you handle/store them carefully, your pickup arm is tracking at the right weight and your sapphire ceramic stylus is in good shape. My dad used an EEI ceramic cartridge on his Garrard SP25 for many years through the 1970s and even today, when I play his old records, they sound great. If you are looking for a stop-gap arrangement till you setup your complete audio system (amp, speakers included), the 1010 can be a useful patch. However, if you already have your amp (with phono stage) and speakers, getting hold of something better like a pre-owned Technics direct drive (SL3200, etc) with a decent MM cargridge could be a clever bet.

(kindly note, i have intentially used the jargon of old since we're talking about the HMV 1010)

Last edited:
@reubensm: Thanks for your input. That really helps.

I already have pre amp (currently TCC TC-754) which I will upgrade on first priority, amp (tripath TA2022 based) and bookshelf speakers (DIY with sound Foundation speaker stands - yet to be delivered). They are far better than what HMV 1010 could offer.

Yes, I will be upgrading TT within next one year but still I don't want to buy anything which will be difficult to dispose. Here is one offer for Rega RP1. It is tempting but why not wait for few more months and buy the exact thing which is final. Or buy Rega RP1 and grow count of records. Then think of TT upgrade later on.

Yes the my collection has new records (plus some would be oldies used + NOS). And I am serious about this. So slow but accurate will do.

the Rega is great but I have almost blind faith in the S-Arm of Technics...from experience, the more expensive your turntable, the more you'd need to play decent or brand new LPs on them...my technics SL3200 with the Shure M44-7 can track almost any LP which has grooves on it...this is a very important aspect especially if your LP collection includes pre-owned LPs. Straight arm turntables need precise calibration and decent LPs to play, as they are prone to tracking errors, especially while playing tracks closest to the record label. If you are an audio junkie who likes fiddling with your electronics more and listening less, guess that's fine but if you just want to lay your LP on the turntable, dim the lights, lay back in your arm chair with a mug of beer and enjoy the music, a technics SL series direct drive with an S-arm will never fail you. If you lay your hands on a second hand technics, you'll get terrific resale value for it and it will sell almost immediately. The price range for a decent one is generally between 5 and 6.5 k. Sometime back, i listed my Dad's old Garrard SP25 with Shure M75-6 MM Cartridge on this forum and sold within minutes of the listing for a total price of 10.5 k (including cartridge and original N76-4 diamond stylus). Such is the demand for classic turntables these days, as the are much less expensive and still generally more reliable than their more expensive modern counterparts.

Yes the my collection has new records (plus some would be oldies used + NOS).
As low tracking force weight is preferable so as records don't wear out, avoid playing new or NOS records on ceramic cartridge which I presume would not be having any counter weight to adjust tracking force weight.

As low tracking force weight is preferable so as records don't wear out, avoid playing new or NOS records on ceramic cartridge which I presume would not be having any counter weight to adjust tracking force weight.
You are right. If I bought single record worth 2K then must get TT with good tone arm, cartridge and stylus.

You are right. If I bought single record worth 2K then must get TT with good tone arm, cartridge and stylus.
What kind of music do you like ? Please post some interesting titles that you have.
Regards

What kind of music do you like ? Please post some interesting titles that you have.
Regards

Just now I started with few English like Metallica, Linkin park etc stuff and few oldies. IN lists - Classical vocal, old Hindi Bollywood and Metal, Jazz, country (John Denver, Eric Claption)

How about these HOME :: Saregama - Music Portal - Saregama, HMV, Download mp3, Bollywood tracks, Ghazal, Devotional, Carnatic, Hindustani? There is a link "LP" at the right side bottom line just before copyright notice.

Just now I started with few English like Metallica, Linkin park etc stuff and few oldies. IN lists - Classical vocal, old Hindi Bollywood and Metal, Jazz, country (John Denver, Eric Claption)

How about these HOME :: Saregama - Music Portal - Saregama, HMV, Download mp3, Bollywood tracks, Ghazal, Devotional, Carnatic, Hindustani? There is a link "LP" at the right side bottom line just before copyright notice.

HI Om,
They are very basic lightweight TTs.You can find some entry level Technics on internet @ around 5-7k.

Regards,

Sachin

TOGETHER WITH SAREGAMA GIVEN BY MR "OMISHRA" TRY ebay.in SEARCH "TURNTABLE" UNDER CATEGORY "CONSUMER ELECTRONICS"
YOU WILL GET BRAND NEW QUALITY TURNTABLES. AS ON TODAY THERE ARE 10-12 MODELS RANGING 10000 AND ABOVE.
BTW ANYBODY HAVING CARTRIDGE WITH STYLUS FOR HMV CALYPSO I HAVE ONE WHICH NORMALLY SEEMS GOOD BUT W/O CARTRIDGE.

Last edited:
Wow! Some good gyaan here. I am watching this thread closely so I can mug "the" OP as soon as he acquires his new Technics :D

Coz my aspirations lie close :eek:hyeah:

--G

JVC is worth a look in, avoid the Garrard and definitely this Technics model (it has a linear phase tracking arm which is highly unreliable)

JVC is worth a look in, avoid the Garrard and definitely this Technics model (it has a linear phase tracking arm which is highly unreliable)

It gone long time back.

What is this "it has a linear phase tracking arm"? What should be expected?

Last edited:
in most turntables, one would have the arm fixed on a pivot, at the right rear end of the turntable, a linear tracking turntable has a groove/channel that helps the arm slide across the LP. Check out the pictures:

Linear Tracking Turntables Best For Quad? - Page 2 - Tapeheads.Net

They have complex mechanisms which tend to give trouble resulting in tracking errors.

in most turntables, one would have the arm fixed on a pivot, at the right rear end of the turntable, a linear tracking turntable has a groove/channel that helps the arm slide across the LP. Check out the pictures:

Linear Tracking Turntables Best For Quad? - Page 2 - Tapeheads.Net

They have complex mechanisms which tend to give trouble resulting in tracking errors.

But that means they are the best tonearms exactly mimicking reverse process of vinyl cutting/pressing. Of course, they must be aligned to exact tolerances.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back