Should I buy the SONY 48W700C?

aadi007

Hi All,

I am planning to buy a new TV 48-55 inch.
Initially, I was planning to buy one from Micromax or VU ( the VU 55 inch in particular) but none of those TVs come with optical out or HDMI ARC (which is necessary for me). Also, I am not convinced by the support, warranty, quality and reliability of these brands (or the lack of those).

So, I am back to the regular culprits - Sony/Samsung/LG etc.
Probably I will buy from someone in the grey market as the prices are 25-30% cheaper.

I have shortlisted the Sony 48W700C. It seems to tick all my requirements - nice slim looks, excellent picture quality, 4 HDMI (ARC), 2 USB, optical out, in-built Wifi and internet etc etc.

Do you have any other suggestions in the same price range from any brand which has the above features? I do not care about Wifi and SMART TV though.
When I looked at Samsung, the ones meeting those requirements are going well above 1 lakh.
They have a cheaper Joy 5100 series which looks and feels cheap and doesn't have optical out or HDMI ARC.

Cheers
Aadi

Last edited:
OK, I am finally buying the Samsung 48 inch H6400.
Though it's more than a year old model, it's still gives all the 48 and 50 inch TVs currently available a run for their money. Plus it's got 3D (it was never a primary requirement thought).
Other one considered was the Sony 50 inch W800C but it was going beyond my budget.

I am buying from the grey market. I am taking a chance I know.. Hopefully things will work out!

Got my TV delivered and installed.

Was able to hide all the wires behind a dry wall/gypsum board as I always wanted. Feeling satisfied :yahoo:

Also, the picture quality seems great for HD channels and youtube HD videos. SD channels look pretty bad though. This TV has 400 Hz clear motion and 120 Hz Panel..so that's a huge advantage. Also, I am able to connect to my Marantz AVR through one HDMi cable using HDMI ARC..so no need for any other cables.

Here's how the setup looks. the speakers will go from below soon as I am ordering separate stands for them. Also, Planning to buy a new center speaker soon :clapping:

IMG_20160403_240326765_HDR.jpg

Congo Aadi
The looks have come very nicely on the wall

May I know how can one buy from the grey market
What are the pros and cons
And finally what price did u pay

Cheers

I paid around 58K. Other option was Sony 50W80C which was coming out to be 68K.
I think MRP for both is above 1L.

Grey market is always a risk but...
This guy is in the business for quite a while and I checked with couple of people who has bought from him who are satisfied.
He is also offering seller warranty for 1st year.
And even after that, he has some contact with good service people and technicians if there is some issue.
So, do your homework before buying from grey market.
See if the seller has a good track record and is offering some warranty and after sales support. But, you can easily save 30% or more in grey market.

Best of Luck!

what was the cost of getting the gypsum setup? I plan to get similar done for my new home a few months down the line.

I have already bought..so no point in thinking now :)
VU or Micromax is not for me at least at this point of time..might be great for others

The gypsum board cost be total 9-10K as it is wrapped by good quality wallpaper.
Ordered speaker stands from Soundfoundations.
I hope they are reliable...not getting any response from them after paying the amount :) (paid today afternoon)

Speaker stands on the way..

Today, I fiddled around with various settings with optical and HDMI cables.
I am having Airtel DTH which doesn't pass Dolby digital sound with HDMI.

So, I tried using optical cable and I was able to get Dolby D on my Marantz amplifier.
But, I am noticing a very strange behavior -

When STB is connected to AVR (HDMI and optical), and AVR to TV, sound output volume is very low
When STB is connected to TV amd TV is connected to AVR through HDMI ARC, sound output volume is nice and loud.

I expected the other way...what could be the issue?

DOne.

I tried playing content from USB and Netflix today and I could bitstream Dolby digital and DTS audio to my AVR through HDMI ARC. So, all good.

Somehow the STB sound when connected directly to AVR is not good compared to when connected via TV..no idea why!

Also, Samsung has come up with new audio format DTS 2:5 which converts any 2 channel audio to some pseudo 5 channel (5.1) audio.. Seems to work pretty well particularly in movies.

Finally got the stands fitted. I am very satisfied with the picture quality of this TV. superb. even 3D is great.

Here is how the setup looks like at this point.

TV.jpg

^^

Thanks ..had that image in mind for a long time. Happy to execute it finally :)
I am very happy with the image quality of the TV. And it has lots of connectivity options. Also, I can easily bitstream dolby digital or DTS audio from USB or netflix to AVR using single HDMI.

Hey. Your setup looks great. Could you PM the seller details to me too. First time I am looking into a grey market option.

Sent from my wx_na_wf using Tapatalk

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back