Should I Keep My PS4?

0verkilled

Hi All,
I have a problem with my PS4, not exactly a problem though, here it goes..
I am not a gamer and bought a PS4 from US, thinking its like PS3 which can play CDs, MP3s and stream internet videos.
I learnt after buying, that PS4 cannot do any of this stuff. Internet says it will come and dont know when.
Games are very expensive for me, 3.5-4k. I only bough one game in my life till now, GTA4 for my PC. I have also played San Andreas and and some NFS games.

Now the question is, should I keep it hoping the media features will come soon and play games occasionally? Or, sell it off and buy some BDP or something like that?

Thanks for the suggestions.

Even after the updates these PlayStation's won't detect NTFS drives. so options are limited. you can't play bigger files like more than 4gb ones. so using it as an dedicated media player was not possible.

I recommend sell the PS4 and buy a Ps3 slim 2nds + a decent bluray player and a media player.

Thanks Nero, the main reason I wanted to buy console is for is its speed, UI and some occasional games. There are more PS3s available in classifieds for 10-12k, but, this will be phased out soon..:confused:

At this point if you go for a PS3, you will have to buy original games only. Obviously you will get older games at a low price from the second hand market. However, after about a year or so, PS4 second hand games also might start showing up in the market.

Secondly, when I bought my PS3 even I thought of using it as a bluray + media player. Well, no complaints with its BD playing capacities, but as a media player, its useless. Since it supports too few formats. And as Nero9 rightly pointed out, no NTFS support (i believe Xbox 360 also doesn't support NTFS even though it is Microsoft owned technology).

If you are in a hurry to play games and don't want to pay the full price of the games, buy the PS3.

As for mediaplaying capabilities, you could go for a media player + external DVD drive. Few media players support this setup. Although PS3 supports CDs & DVDs as well, I don't play them, because I don't want to risk reducing the life of the lens.

If you are not an gamer both PS3 and PS4 are not very useful as media or even BD player. I am selling my PS3 and going to plain BD player. Most BD player today have better media playing capability then PS3 or PS4 will ever get.

Thanks you guys for the suggestions.

moshel.. thanks for letting me know that it can only play mp3s, I will use a pendrive or phone for that.
If its not very useful as a media player then I it would not be much useful for me. Its very saddening, I really like it for the looks. This will be my first sell ever! never sold anything till now.

Why not Build a HTPC, good for occasional gaming and excellent media player.

Buying separate components for each will be costly.

Yes that's a really good idea, on the same note do you know of any thin clients with HDMI? Is it too much to ask :eek: connecting my existing PC to thin client and stream from there, anyone tried?

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back