Should I use a Pre-Amplifier in my present set-up?

jay

Hi,

I already have an Integrated Amplifier through which all my players goes through.

Now do you all suggest if I use a Pre - Amplifier in between the audio source and main amp then chances of better audio with more gain in sound is going to happen?

Pls suggest,

An integrated amp integrates pre-amp and power amp. If you have an integrated amp, you already have a pre-amp ... in the same box as the power amp.

Some integrated amps have a "pre-amp" output. That allows them to act as a pre-amp, connected to external power amp. That is the usual upgrade path without buying two new boxes both at once.
better audio with more gain in sound
it isn't loud enough?

If you are really dissatisfied with the power or quality of your current amp, then I'm afraid that it is time to go out and listen to some others, with a view to buying. It happens. It happens to some of us, sometimes, even when not particularly dissatisfied!

Hi,

I already have an Integrated Amplifier through which all my players goes through.

Now do you all suggest if I use a Pre - Amplifier in between the audio source and main amp then chances of better audio with more gain in sound is going to happen?

Pls suggest,

Please note that you can not increase the decible levels by adding a pre Amp.

If the gain in pre Amp is higher you will be forced to turn down the volume level of the main Amp to avoid distortion. If you need higher volume levels you will have to look for higher powered Amps

Hi,

Pls suggest,

If you wish to get detailed sound ... get a PASS B1 pre and use it as pre and use the integrated amp as power

it improved the sq in my system a lot.... as such i am using it over a year now ...

My current power amp (integrated amp) is 80 watts/channel .... i am planing to upgrade to 100-150 W /channel

You may audition your integrated amp connected to B1 and if pre section of your integrated amp is not that great ... you are more likely to hear instant difference

Best Regards

Tanoj

Hi,

Pls suggest,

Jay, Give us Your current Setup, it would give proper Idea to suggest by Fm's.

It could be DAC or Preamp or I-Amp or Source which needs a Place in your setup.

Jay, Give us Your current Setup, it would give proper Idea to suggest by Fm's.

It could be DAC or Preamp or I-Amp or Source which needs a Place in your setup.

Hi,

I have a Yamaha natural sound Stereo Amplifier AX 496 which provides 85W RMS Output per channel.

Attachments

• Y.jpg
    Y.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 99
yamaha ax 496 is a very good sounding amp . i dont think you need to add any preamplifier to it .

regards

Hi,

I have a Yamaha natural sound Stereo Amplifier AX 496 which provides 85W RMS Output per channel.

Yammy is loaded to fill your Room.

So hope you need to look on to invest on the Speakers.So what is the Speakers you are using and what is the Room Size.?

Do you Play the music from Laptop? Or Mobile?

Yammy is loaded to fill your Room.

So hope you need to look on to invest on the Speakers.So what is the Speakers you are using and what is the Room Size.?

Do you Play the music from Laptop? Or Mobile?

I play music from my Turntable,ACD player and Deck. My room size is around 15ft by 12ft. I use Yamaha NS8390 pair of Floor Standing Speakers which has 220W as maximum input.

I play music from my Turntable,ACD player and Deck. My room size is around 15ft by 12ft. I use Yamaha NS8390 pair of Floor Standing Speakers which has 220W as maximum input.

Good, So when you play from TT and feel the Sound is not enough then you could try Good Phonostage between TT and Amp.

In case you have Less sound from ACD, then it could be the Source file or Performance of ACD. So upgrade your ACD.

What is the CD Player you using.

Good, So when you play from TT and feel the Sound is not enough then you could try Good Phonostage between TT and Amp.

In case you have Less sound from ACD, then it could be the Source file or Performance of ACD. So upgrade your ACD.

What is the CD Player you using.

My CD player is a Marantz make and output from CD player is fantastic.

But in TT the sound is not enough. I mean at same volume level music from CD player sounds more than TT. So what should I do?

What do you mean by good Phonostage?

But in TT the sound is not enough. I mean at same volume level music from CD player sounds more than TT. So what should I do?

TT signal output is lower than that of CDp.So you need to add phono preamp to get perfect signal.Some of the TT's have inbuilt phono pre amp.

Phono Preamp needs to be used to Add gain to the the Signal of Phono Output before the Signal is feed into Integrated amp,In your case its Amp.

I understand that Yamaha has Phono Input to process the Signals from TT But to bring the best of TT and Amp, You need to Add Phono Preamp for sure.

I understand some DIY phono Preamp are available.You could search for some in Phono/Turntable Section in our Forum

From my experience, whenever I have come across people with the same intention as your's, more often than not, I have also got to share their disappointment after spending a lot of money on expensive pre-power combos or even on preamps.

The question a beginner or novice would encounter after experiencing forums like HFV, audiokarma, etc is this very one. After reading up a lot and also after drooling about what others own and talk about, one is often tempted to upgrade or replace.

The fact is, before doing so, you have to have a clear objective (having a question in mind like, will my sound improve if I use a dedicated pre-amp is not a good enough objective). Generally a clear objective is arrived at after a first hand experience, on the type of music you listen to. Hence, rather than wondering whether a preamp can improve your listening experience, get out there and audition power-pre combos, compare what you hear with what you are used to hearing and take a judgmental call. More often than not, when one does this, one would end up taking the right decision.

Remember, pre-amp/poweramp combo space requires investment and there are issues related to matching, etc. Not sure you'll be able to experience a significant difference if you add a phonostage. Phono SQ depends on a lot of factors from quality of vinyl pressing to turntable, cartridge and of course, the phonostage itself. Some integrateds are better than pre-power combos, something I found out after trying out a NAD 3020 vintage amp. Read everything on the subject that you can come across and also listen to as much as you can (audition). Don't open your wallet unless you are investing in atleast a 10-15% improvement over what you have currently :)

my 2 cents!!

What is the Volume Knob position when you use a CD player vs TT for your normal listening loudness.
The output from a CD player is a Line output with higher signal strength hence needs lesser gain in Amp to achieve your normal listening dB hence a lower Volume level will suffice.
The output from a TT is a weaker signal which is why the TT is connected to the Phono Input with a phono amplification before the main Amplification. Depending on the gain here you may need to turn up the volume level but that in no way is bad unless your ears tell you other wise.

Refer your Amp Specs:

For CD/DVD the sensitivity is 150mv
For Phono the sensitivity is 2.5 mv
The above gives an indication of the Phonopre amp built into your Amplifier
If you still want to add an external phonostage Amp remember that you need to get something better then what is inbuilt in your Marantz Amp.

@jay: please tell us what is your turntable chain. I mean where is the output of the turntable connected?

Also, for your info, the output level of turntable playout depends on the output level of the cartridge. Different cartridges have different output levels. So tell us the cartridge model too.

@jay: please tell us what is your turntable chain. I mean where is the output of the turntable connected?

Also, for your info, the output level of turntable playout depends on the output level of the cartridge. Different cartridges have different output levels. So tell us the cartridge model too.

Hi,

I have a Technics SL1200 MK2 with a Shure M97XE Cartridge.From the TT output is directly connected to my Yamaha 496 Stereo Amp.

What is the Volume Knob position when you use a CD player vs TT for your normal listening loudness.

Mostly what output I get from CD using volume knowb 4 I have to move the knowb to 6 or 7 for getting same output from TT.

From my experience, whenever I have come across people with the same intention as your's, more often than not, I have also got to share their disappointment after spending a lot of money on expensive pre-power combos or even on preamps.

The question a beginner or novice would encounter after experiencing forums like HFV, audiokarma, etc is this very one. After reading up a lot and also after drooling about what others own and talk about, one is often tempted to upgrade or replace.

The fact is, before doing so, you have to have a clear objective (having a question in mind like, will my sound improve if I use a dedicated pre-amp is not a good enough objective). Generally a clear objective is arrived at after a first hand experience, on the type of music you listen to. Hence, rather than wondering whether a preamp can improve your listening experience, get out there and audition power-pre combos, compare what you hear with what you are used to hearing and take a judgmental call. More often than not, when one does this, one would end up taking the right decision.

Remember, pre-amp/poweramp combo space requires investment and there are issues related to matching, etc. Not sure you'll be able to experience a significant difference if you add a phonostage. Phono SQ depends on a lot of factors from quality of vinyl pressing to turntable, cartridge and of course, the phonostage itself. Some integrateds are better than pre-power combos, something I found out after trying out a NAD 3020 vintage amp. Read everything on the subject that you can come across and also listen to as much as you can (audition). Don't open your wallet unless you are investing in atleast a 10-15% improvement over what you have currently :)

my 2 cents!!

I do understand but my Turntable and Vinyls are of great quality.And its not easy for me to take my setup to a studio for audition and then buy the preamp.Some limitations are there.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back