:: Silver pioneer ::

Anil kumar

tuner.jpg

SA9800.jpg

:yahoo: SILVER PIONEER REFERENCE SITE :yahoo:

Components built by Pioneer in the 1970s and early 1980s are still around today, giving pleasure to a new generation of music listeners. This site is dedicated to the era of silver finish Pioneer stereo components from the late 1960s to the early 1980s. Aesthetically, pioneer's components from this silver era period were distinguished by their handsome brushed aluminum front panels, solid machined aluminum knobs, toggle switches and push buttons, and beautiful walnut veneer with solid walnut trim. Quality of the electronics inside were such that this equipment is still being listened to today.

I am using pioneer SA-9100 bought on e bay in 2007. This model was Pioneer's top of the line in integrated amplifiers. Factory specs list 65 watts per channel & introduced by Pioneer in 1973. .It has an extremely broad frequency response of 7 to 80,000 Hz &. Priced $450 in '73. Still looks NEW !!

What do silver pioneer collectors own??

pioneercollestor.jpg

Al Judy with his silver pioneer collection

COMPONENTS

SERIES 20 AMPLIFIERS

PRE AMPLIFIERS

POWER AMPS

INTEGRATED AMPS

RADIO RECEIVERS

TAPE DECKS (REEL TO REEL)

CASETTE TAPE DECKS

TUNERS

EQUALIZERS

CD PLAYERS

OTHERS

SILVER SOAPBOX

So it is with Pioneers Silver Era!!!!! These components were magnificent then and they are magnificent still, which is why they are being snapped up by collectors and Pioneer enthusiasts.

Last edited:
Intoxicating ...........

This should push up sales of Pioneer's current generation DVDs and AVRs in this Forum........ and give me some much needed company :clapping:

Anil, only 1 word - WOW!!!:licklips:

Thanks for posting the link... Will surely visit you when am next in bangalore...
Can you dig out some pics & tech info on the Cosmic Lab 3000 Amp & matching speakers??? Really would appreciate it...:)

Yes Anil, had already posted there, unfortunately no picture of the Lab3000 & the speakers that went with it... :(

thanks Anil...
amazing pics and link...
I have a BLACK Pioneer AVR...
of early 90s I guess
never seen a silver pioneer amp for real....:sad:
and dont know how they sound...are they really better than their BLACK successors....?

saurabh--- i had a slver pioneer sx 1250 which i had bought from a pawn shop i the early nineties. It was extremly heavy and weighed about 60 odd lbs.It was built extremely well and the music it produced was just awesome.In those days of no internet,pawn shops were a great place to buy audio equipment in the us.The trick was to drive down to an army base and buy from the pawn shops in the area.The GIs(army personnel) who come back from foreign assignments (usually Germany and Korea) would buy top of the line equipment and bring them home.And frequently,they will pawn their stuff to pawn shops to borrow money at ehorbitant rates to tide over the month.And sometimes,they were unable to pay off the loan,so the collateral would be in the hands of the shopowners.I think ,i paid about 100 bucks for the beautiful piece and sold it about 2 months ago for 650 dollars cash to an audio buff here.I wanted to bring it to india when i move their,but was reluctant as the pioneer was about a 32 year old receive and i dont know about the repair comptency/facility/parts availability in india.In 1992 i had bought a pair of Klipschorn upon my visit to the Klipsch factory in Hope ,Arkansas--a neighboring state.At that time,the klipschorn were going for about 7500 a pair and weighed about 150 lbs each.A great pair of speakers.I sold them also along with my pioneer receiver and the guy gave me what i asked for which was the original price.The new Klipschorns are going for about 13000 dollars a pair and they need a lot of room.AAH---the sound was heavenly if you like the Klipsch sound.About 3 weeks ago, i picked up 1990 pioneer VSX 9700S from a garage sale for 25 dollars,hooked it up and it sounds great.I did not get a manual with it,but it is rated at 125 wpc,both channels driven and weighs about 40-45 lbs.I will probably bring it to india,because the guy who cleaned it for me said that the capacitors were in great shape.OH,what pioneer model do you have.Please do let us know.

Your amps are Superb!!!:)

Hello hegde, they are not mine :sad:

Here are my amp pictures. This is a beautiful amp, brushed aluminum front with a laminated wooden housing and a heavy steel chassis. It weighs in at 18 kg's, knobs are milled from solid aluminum. Everything about the amp is over-built and intended to last. Remember that these "silver face plate" amps latter evolved into the PIoneer Elite series. It features three sets of speaker connectors, one of which is independently variable for easy speaker matching or bi-amplifying. The 9100 boasts a frequency response from 7Hz to an astonishing 80KHz. Build quality is superb with warm powerful mid range with clean, punchy, rhythmic, sound stage. The SA-9100 has some pretty cool features, it has a variable level for the B speakers, so that you can match levels, and do a blind comparison between different speakers to see which you like the best. Phono stage is superb :cool: you can connect 2 TT's.

SA-9100_04.jpg

SA-9100_05.jpg

053.jpg

SA-9100_03.jpg

SA-9100_02.jpg

:licklips::licklips::licklips:

What would be the cost of one of these amps if they are available in the indian market Anil???

Low end 25 W RMS amp was sold for 3.5 to 4 K
It was in fantastic condition

100 + W rms are ifficult to find still I am getting one kenwod power amp ( But in the cheaper plastic Era..

I have seen silver ROTEL once!

again I had silver era Sony TA-F5A Circa 1978 ,sold to one of our member ,it was Just 70 W Rms ( far powerful than yamaha's 100 W RMS ) PC ,sold for 4.5 K ..

Hello hegde, they are not mine :sad:

Here are my amp pictures. This is a beautiful amp, brushed aluminum front with a laminated wooden housing and a heavy steel chassis. It weighs in at 18 kg's, knobs are milled from solid aluminum. Everything about the amp is over-built and intended to last. Remember that these "silver face plate" amps latter evolved into the PIoneer Elite series. It features three sets of speaker connectors, one of which is independently variable for easy speaker matching or bi-amplifying. The 9100 boasts a frequency response from 7Hz to an astonishing 80KHz. Build quality is superb with warm powerful mid range with clean, punchy, rhythmic, sound stage. The SA-9100 has some pretty cool features, it has a variable level for the B speakers, so that you can match levels, and do a blind comparison between different speakers to see which you like the best. Phono stage is superb :cool: you can connect 2 TT's.

Your amps are really beautiful, Anil. I would love to own such beauties :). Sigh!!!! I know its tough to find vintage amps in good condition :sad:.

About 3 weeks ago, i picked up 1990 pioneer VSX 9700S from a garage sale for 25 dollars,hooked it up and it sounds great.I did not get a manual with it,but it is rated at 125 wpc,both channels driven and weighs about 40-45 lbs.I will probably bring it to india,because the guy who cleaned it for me said that the capacitors were in great shape.OH,what pioneer model do you have.Please do let us know.

Pictures please :p

This is a 110 volts US version. I bought it on e bay for $ 160 + shipping & customs fees, paid Rs 15000. I have not seen anybody selling this model in India, in case if you find one in good condition, it could be around 6 - 7k.

Regards,
Anil

:licklips::licklips::licklips:

What would be the cost of one of these amps if they are available in the indian market Anil???

Yes Anil, had already posted there, unfortunately no picture of the Lab3000 & the speakers that went with it... :(

Hi denom stereomaster LAB series amplifiers were very rare I too never came across any one who had any stereomaster catalogue/broucher :sad:

Dear Anil,
I too have Pioneer SA7800 along with Tuner ST7800, the SA7800 has been recently Restored replacing the power transistors, I am in process of installing a external antenna for use, but since Monsoon is set in Mumbai, I may delay it till september.... Thanks for this post,
regards Bhandarkar

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back