SIRC Bangalore's First Listening Session Invite

hildebrand

Hello Fellow Music Collectors,

We are pleased to inform you that this January, Bangalore unit of the Society of Indian Record Collectors (SIRC) shall be having its first listening session on 26th January 2014 at Gajendras house in C V Raman Nagar from 02:30 pm onwards.

For those not familiar with SIRC, let me tell you a bit about the societys history. Its origin dates prior to the internet era just like many of the records its members collect. A meeting was held in Mumbai during February 1990, attended by about 30 persons, to discuss the possibility of forming the Society. The Society came into existence in May 1990. The Society now has branches all over India and where meetings and listening sessions are held.

The Society intends to bring together all persons and institutions interested in Preservation, Promotion and Research in all aspects of Indian musical culture. A brochure of SIRC at the following link shall give a birds eye view of the societys work:-

Hindi Movies / Films Songs

Those interested in reading past issues of the societys quarterly/annual journal The Record News can visit this link:-

Hindi Movies / Films Songs

For the first session, music lovers are cordially invited. Request you to please attend and ask likeminded friends to attend as well. Seating shall be on first-come-first-serve basis.

The listening session shall introduce SIRC to Bangalore and present an opportunity to enjoy some gems of Indian music. We intend to have regular sessions henceforth.

Shri Suresh Chandvankar, Honorary Secretary of SIRC who has been the guiding factor for the beginning of this initiative is likely to be there by web presence as well.

Venue and contact details are as per the link given below:-

SIRC Bangalore's First Listening Session Invite

You can also contact us on the SIRC Bangalore Facebook group here:-

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sircbangalore/

Looking forward to seeing you there.

Gajendra and Rohit

Renewing invitation for FMs from Bangalore and other places.
Since this is the first listening session, would appreciate if maximum friends can join.
Also welcome points which you'd like to discuss there which maybe of interest to record collectors here.
Please let any friends who might be interested. They need not be record collectors. They can be those just interested in music or those wanting to get into record collection. Being a record collector is not a requirement to attend the session :)

The Society intends to bring together all persons and institutions interested in Preservation, Promotion and Research in all aspects of Indian musical culture. to seeing you there.

Just curious!! Is it all about Indian music (or) just music?

The aim of the society is towards Indian musical culture need not be just indian music. I am open to having the Bangalore chapter to also discuss other music during the sessions along with Indian music. Bangalore culture is after all multi cultural. We are one of the few places to have an Exclusive English radio channel :)
All this will be discussed at the session.

Its good to see people like you to start SIRC in Bangalore, I was a SIRc member in 2010 from coimbatore at that time i could not find anyone from my place for a session.
All the Best
Regards
Srinivas

Its good to see people like you to start SIRC in Bangalore, I was a SIRc member in 2010 from coimbatore at that time i could not find anyone from my place for a session.
All the Best
Regards
Srinivas

Thanks Srinivas. The first session was enjoyable. Will post a report once I find some time. Perhaps, you can drop in here for a session sometime. I will keep adding about future sessions here as we go along.
I hope you shall be able to find someone in Coimbatore as well. I had heard of some ex-services person buying lots of records from someone whom I bought records. I guess you can keep searching for someone.
Here, I tried to call not just record collectors but also music lovers who don't keep records. You could also start like that.

Hi Hildebrand,

Thanks for the invite. Was off the forum and a bit busy too hence could not make it. Will make it for the next one though. Do open up the music taste to include other genres if possible for the next meet?

Regards

You are most welcome stevieboy. Hope you will be able to make it the next time.
The SIRC Bangalore format is very open and themes are upto members. In fact, the sessions can be held by agreement at anybody's home and all genres are welcome.
This time's theme was on suggestion of Suresh Chandvankar ji who is the secretary of SIRC.
It will be routine to go off topic other than the session to discuss anything of the choice of members. For example we went into archiving this time.

I am posting the report for the first session on my website here for those who missed it:-
SIRC Bangalore First Listening Session Report

I am considering having the next session the coming sunday on 16th. If 2-3 people confirm their presence, we can have it. (that's the minimum quorum I'd like to keep!)

This time other than a small mini theme (of say 10 songs) I plan to have a "Bring your own songs" session segment too where everyone can highlight their choice.

Everyone do let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

Congrats Gagender, for the successful listning session, i was tied up so could not attend,

i should really appreciate your efforts and contribution towards the love for the music

Very importantly i should admire your knowledge of the Oldies, and it inspires me to search our old big gramaphone, which iam not sure if we still got it.

Regards

Tanoj

Congrats Gajendra, for the successful listning session, i was tied up so could not attend,
Thanks Tanoj. I posted the report for those who got tied up the previous time. I hope everyone will be able to find time for the second session to be held this sunday on 16th February!

i should really appreciate your efforts and contribution towards the love for the music

Very importantly i should admire your knowledge of the Oldies, and it inspires me to search our old big gramaphone, which iam not sure if we still got it.
Thanks a lot for your kind words. I hope I can do much more on this front in the coming months and years with help of fellow music lovers like you. I am glad I inspired you. Hope you will dig it out :)

The invite for the second session is ready and I am posting it here.
Everyone, please make it a point to attend and participate. The first small part will be sort of a group discussion to ponder about all that we can do together with this platform.
The second part will be the actual theme. This should be an interesting one for most people, namely club songs from films of the Indian subcontinent.
The third part will be as promised a segment where everyone can share music of their choice.
Hope to have even more fun at the second session with your presence. Please treat this as a personal invitation from me and Rohit.
Also feel free to bring along any like minded friends as well.

invite-sircblr-2.jpg

Well, I wish you all the best -I would have loved to have attended this session!

Is there going to be perchance, any umm..... err..... any live performances to go with the club music??!!?? :rolleyes: :licklips: :eek:hyeah:

Seriously speaking, are you going to have only shellac record passages or is it going to be vinyls and audio CDs as well?

Well, I wish you all the best -I would have loved to have attended this session!

Is there going to be perchance, any umm..... err..... any live performances to go with the club music??!!?? :rolleyes: :licklips: :eek:hyeah:

Seriously speaking, are you going to have only shellac record passages or is it going to be vinyls and audio CDs as well?

Thanks a lot for your best wishes musiclava79.
Yes, it would have been great if you could attend it sometime. I am trying to build a community here around this initiative that helps improve the goals. I hope I will be able to see some members from here this time and will get support in the future to take this forward.

The live performances are a bit expensive and some of the senior members wouldn't appreciate them. Hence, I had to do away with them. :lol:

I'll be doing the next best thing and having a few videos playing though.
Typically, since in such a session, there maybe requirement of a pause, skip or fast forward as people come or demand a replay of some portion for discussion, I generally keep the rips ready already for convenience sake from all the sources shellac/vinyl/audio CDs/VCDs/DVDs. It gives a bit of flexibility. Also, if by any chance, the power goes off, I am able to play from the laptop battery :)

As done this time, where members can bring their own music, I will let them play what they want to demonstrate.

Meanwhile, Keeping fingers crossed for the success of the SIRC Bangalore initiative.

nice initiative gajendr. my best wishes.

Thanks Doctor sahab.
The second session went on well. I will post a detailed report once I find some time to type it up.
Among others, our member peace_sells (Saket) attended it as a friend and we had good discussions at the event. I hope he will share his thoughts on the session which will encourage even more attendance in the next session.

The next event is planned in march (trying to make it a monthly event with all joining in to build a music community here in Bangalore).

Sorry about the late response Gajendra. I attended the 2nd SIRC meet along with a friend (not a FM). There weren't many people but it was a very good experience. The topic was club music (which i had no idea about until that day :p). The session started with Rohit playing some songs from The Mustangs. These guys started out as a college band from Madras in the early 60s and played a lot of jazz influenced music. Apparently some of their stuff classifies as club music :D I was expecting some sort of disco music of today but thankfully i was way off target! :lol: Anyway it was great. Rohit also played some songs from the album 10 Ragas To a Disco Beat by Charanjit Singh. Even this I listened for the first time and I thought that was superb. I'm a huge Tangerine Dream fan and this sounded very much like a more melodic TD with some rhythm instruments. Then Gajendra played some club music of his own. It was quite interesting. I remember him playing something which i was sure was the soundtrack of Tom and Jerry! :D Later on we discussed the different types of music that can be dealt with in future. Overall it was a very enlightening and fun.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I will also put together my take as soon as possible.
Hope more FMs will make it next time. On suggestion the theme shall be "Lesser Remembered Female voices from Hindi film songs". Just like this time "Play Your Choice" slot will be there to play any music or song of your choice (Members can bring them in any format. These maybe off theme of course. Hope to see good discussion like this time. Am tentatively 16 March though FMs can suggest alternate dates.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back