Slimline Dolby Atmos AV receiver.

SIDEWINDER18X

Hi friends,
I have decided to purchase a slim line
AV receiver with Dolby Atmos.
I came across the Marantz NR 1608 & the NR 1609.
The 2018 model NR 1608 is available for Rs 42,900 at hifi mart
Any news of best discounted price for the 2019 model NR1609 ... somewhere ?
Any basic difference between these two models apart from the year of manufacturing ? Friends kindly advise me in regards.
I will use it with my newly purchased LG 55SM9000PTA TV.

Apart from a Phono Input and Dolby Digital Ex which is available on the NR1609....more or less features / functionality remains the same....

Depending on your actual use of the AVR and its features, take a call and go for the model that suits your needs!

I finally went for the 2019 model Marantz and purchased the NR1609 about a week ago.
But todoy found out that Marantz had rolled out another 2019 model similar to NR 1609.... The
NR1710. This one has got an edge over the early one with eARC out. My LG SM9000 has an eARC HDMI 2.1 interface..... I am pissed of to know this now. Could have waited for the NR 1710 to be launched over here.

I finally went for the 2019 model Marantz and purchased the NR1609 about a week ago.
But todoy found out that Marantz had rolled out another 2019 model similar to NR 1609.... The
NR1710. This one has got an edge over the early one with eARC out. My LG SM9000 has an eARC HDMI 2.1 interface..... I am pissed of to know this now. Could have waited for the NR 1710 to be launched over here.

Firstly congrats on your purchase.....

If the functionality of the 1710 does meet your actual requirements, you can still sell this AVR (1609) off over the forum given it is still in new condition with its box and accessories. I am sure there would be ample potential buyers for the same. You can decide to sell it slightly less than what it is available for / what you purchased it for....

Put in the extra and get the 1710......

Hello bro....do check if you would be needing the earc feature.....would you be sending Atmos content from your TV smart apps to your receiver. If not, you won't miss earc. Further the allm support on the nr1710 is not a must have feature.
I think, you have got yourself a good AVR...enjoy it....

Cheers
Siju

Here's what Marantz says ....

The enhanced Audio Return Channel (eARC) function (a feature introduced for HDMI 2.1) in selected AV receivers (please see our product specification) will allow for additional formats to be transported via eARC:
  • Dolby Digital Plus (up to 7.1 channel)
  • Dolby TrueHD (up to 7.1 channel)
  • Dolby Atmos
  • DTS-HD High Resolution Audio (up to 7.1 channel)
  • DTS-HD Master Audio (up to 7.1 channel)
  • DTS:X
Moreover, eARC includes a mandatory information channel telling the TV which sound formats are supported by the TV so that the TV outputs best possible format automatically. TVs with eARC are expected to arrive mid of 2018. Anyhow, TVs featuring eARC do not necessarily need to be compatible to all sound formats above.

At same timing (1st half 2018), we will issue a firmware update for the following HDMI 2.0 compliant models to achieve eARC compatibility:
SR6012, SR7012, SR8012, AV7704, AV8805
Note that new hardware is required for eARC. Therefore, older AV receivers cannot be updated to receive eARC feature. On the other hand, all Marantz AV receivers featuring eARC will be backward compatible to ARC.

I am now wondering my NR1609 is a 2019 model....will I receive an update for this upgrade anytime ?????

I doubt NR1609 will receive any update, because of hardware limitations....that's why probably nr1710 is launched...

Guys please help me out. I am a bit terrified right now.....after going thru this information by Marantz
I am not sure of getting Dolby Atmos thru my
NR1609 which only has ARC out. As what Marantz is saying Dolby Atmos only passes thru eARC.
Though my TV has eARC out.
My question is that ...then how the hell all the Dolby Atmos AV receiver from 2018-19 had ARC out.
Kindly open this link to see what Marantz is saying
..... https://marantz-uk.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6334/~/arc-/-earc-compatibility

EARC and ARC is only applicable for connection between your TV and your receiver on your AVR output side. It dosent effect anything on your input side.
It's only in end 2018 that AVR started coming with eARC, that too on the higher end. Prior to that all AVR had only ARC. Even now, lower end AVR only has ARC.

Is your LG TV your only source for content or do you have any other sources connected to your AVR.

EARC and ARC is only applicable for connection between your TV and your receiver on your AVR output side. It dosent effect anything on your input side.
It's only in end 2018 that AVR started coming with eARC, that too on the higher end. Prior to that all AVR had only ARC. Even now, lower end AVR only has ARC.

Is your LG TV your only source for content or do you have any other sources connected to your AVR.
No

I have not yet set up my system at my place. Got this on the 24th of last month. I am yet planning for the speakers. I was just going thru this information from Marantz regarding eARC and got to know about Atmos support thru eARC ....
Now I am confused over the Dolby Atmos pass thru the HDMI 2.1 input eARC from my TV from the NR1609 ARC output by enabling the eARC out command from the TV .

I had finally figured out the answer.....
I am going to replace my NR 1608 with the new NR1710 with eARC out .
I will do this soon as it is released here in India around Nov-Dec 2019. My TV is future ready with eARC thru HDMI 2.1. To enjoy the full benefits of this medium I need to get this new AV receiver which has the eARC output.
This will follow up with a new HDMI 2.1 cable
which supports the high bandwidth of eARC 48Gbps pass thru.
As you can see why I chose to go this path is mentioned below ......

ARC thru HDMI 2.0
Till now ARC or Audio Return Channel was the single wire medium where Dolby Atmos could be passed over regular ARC/ HDMI 2.0 (via Dolby Digital Plus)
The cables requirements were the HDMI 2.0/ HDCP 2.2 which handles transfer rates upto 18Gbps

eARC thru HDMI 2.1
(A higher bandwidth Audio return channel)
here Dolby Atmos passes (via Dolby True HD)
eARC
offers improved bandwidth for higher-quality
* Dolby Atmos
* Dolby TrueHD
* DTS-HD Master Audio streams
The new format also has lip-sync compensation built-in.

To enjoy or decode the latest Dolby True HD/Dolby Atmos and DTS HD master audio streams
The new format requires TV's with eARC thru
HDMI 2.1
and AV recivers with eARC outputs.
Similarly HDMI cables for this new generation format need HDMI 2.1/HDCP 2.2 cables which handles this high bandwidth rates of 48Gbps.

Good decision considering your use case. No point struggling or getting frustrated at a later date...

However, I think eARC should still work with the existing high speed HDMI cables, because it has sufficient bandwidth for 4k HDR 60fps and Dolby Atmos similar to current HDMI standards. Newer ultra high speed cables would be required specifically for HDMI 2.1 connection. I am pretty sure, your TV and AVR, although it supports eARC, won't be HDMI 2.1, as HDMI 2.1 is not mainstream yet...

Good decision considering your use case. No point struggling or getting frustrated at a later date...

However, I think eARC should still work with the existing high speed HDMI cables, because it has sufficient bandwidth for 4k HDR 60fps and Dolby Atmos similar to current HDMI standards. Newer ultra high speed cables would be required specifically for HDMI 2.1 connection. I am pretty sure, your TV and AVR, although it supports eARC, won't be HDMI 2.1, as HDMI 2.1 is not mainstream yet...
Fortunately my LG 55SM9000PTA TV has all the HDMI ports 2.1.
with one port for the eARC.
And so is the new Marantz NR 1710.

Marantz 1710 only supports eARC and ALLM features of HDMI 2.1. it's not a full spec HDMI 2.1.

What I was trying to point out was, that you can try with your existing high speed HDMI cable first and if it dosent work, you can buy the ultra high speed HDMI cable. Trying to save you some money...ha ha...

Cheers
Siju

Marantz 1710 only supports eARC and ALLM features of HDMI 2.1. it's not a full spec HDMI 2.1.

What I was trying to point out was, that you can try with your existing high speed HDMI cable first and if it dosent work, you can buy the ultra high speed HDMI cable. Trying to save you some money...ha ha...

Cheers
Siju
Thanks for your kind advice. Since I dont have any regular hi speed normal hdmi 2.0 /hdcp 2.2 cables presently. I was about to get one.
So after knowing all this why not buy the 2.1 cable at the first place.
The cost is nearly same for both anyways.

Every year new technology is getting released with hype and so the new models are coming up.
Assume that no new technology is getting released for some time may be for 2-3 years down the line ,then no market gimmics/ hype for new products and then no visibility to sell the new product.
I would suggest if you feel lame without the new technology, then u think about upgrading .I see you recently u bought this AVR ,be happy with what you have right now. If not ,you will not be in a postion to enjoy the current setup and finding faults/wrong in it.
Just my 2 cents.
"Happy listening" with your current setup.
Atb
PS: you may not be knowing how the eARC performs in your TV initial days .During initial phase each and every technology is half cooked one when coming to market( some thing like beta).you will hear lot of surprise with reviews.No offence on LG or Marantz here.i do own LG and Marantz product.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back