Small LCD screen to use as a monitor with AVR

anuragn

Hi All,
I have recently purchased Denon 1611 connected with 42" plasma and Oppo 980 DVD player.
I use the above setup also for listening to music, mostly mp3 files.
But for browsing the files, I need to switch on the TV also, which I want to avoid. After all, why should I keep the TV switched on when listening to music :sad:
Hence, thought of connecting a small LCD monitor, say 4-5" screen to video-out of my AVR. The purpose of this LCD is just to be able to see what is going on, PQ is not important at all.
So pl suggest something that is available in the market, preferably the cheapest options.

Which part of mumbai u r?
Your budget?
BTW in grey market and with car installers small screens are available.Of course resolution is very low...
just check if your AVR supports it
I had a 10 Inch screen ,it is currently with my friend but if I get it we can test

all this is generally chinese stuff

some ebay listings

eBay India: 7''TFT LCD COLOR TV WITH WIDE [EBAY BUYER PRICE] (item 260680670718 end time 27-Oct-2010 13:50:13 IST)

eBay India: 7 inch LCD TV - USB CARD READER DVD MP3 MP4 PLAYER (item 170555516699 end time 28-Oct-2010 20:59:03 IST)

@anuragn
I have the Denon AVR 1909 and I have the same problem as you when I want to play MP3s stored on the hard drive of my PS3. Your AVR should have a composite video output to which you can attach a cheapo small car TV screen. Should cost you a few thousand bucks, maybe less if you decide to buy a used piece. However, resolution will be very low though it should suffice for what you have in mind.
Hope this helps.

@ wishihadtubes the same I was telling
BTW can we have 2 outputs simentaneously..One from HDMI to TV and another to small screen through composite ( with different resolutions)
@ anuragn - let me try to get it back from friend.If u r from navi mumbai you can take it for testing!

Thanks
actually I want to put that screen for good use
It was lying unused ,buttons are jammed ,so another friend took it for experementation!

Thanks buddies.
HDMI & Composite video are indeed active simultaneously in Denon AVR.

@hemantwaghe: I am from Nerul. So we can meet sometime. And thanks for offering me the lcd for testing. It would definitely help me decide before purchasing a new one.

Anurag
Do post your experience using the small screen as and when you get it. Will help me make up my mind about getting one for myself. :)

A small LCD TV/monitor which I saw in local market(Mulund)was for 4k.Not sure max resolution.

I guess you could you any of the monitors of the type used in cars. Btw, why do you need touchscreen? can the denon receive control from the monitor ?

Magma, I am also keen on the Xenarc. Is it available in India, and what will be cost?

Cheers

unfortunately not freely available
and if you find them here they cost double! ( just too much premium to pay!:mad:)

you will have to get it from a relative or friend who visits the US

well about why you need touch screens
well so that you dont need a mouse or a keyboard

Also note the cheap car/automotive lcd monitors we find here are unreliable for one, have very low resolutions to operate Cplay foobar etc or read text
and lastly many of them dont have VGA- just S video
they are not crisp enough and didnt cut it for me

Also note the cheap car/automotive lcd monitors we find here are unreliable for one, have very low resolutions to operate Cplay foobar etc or read text
and lastly many of them dont have VGA- just S video
they are not crisp enough and didnt cut it for me

I second to that
In fact my idea was to use my screen as music pc screen ..it had a special cable which i diod not get when my friend gave me this. so after searching twice on lamington road I got that.

when connected for the first time it was showing windows first bootup screen and nothing after that.many testings after realised it was resolution issue.
Verw low resolution need to be set up digging through special settings

so end result? Wndows XP screen was pathetic

In the end I sold my PC:eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah:( Btw it was bought used from member ,sop damage was not high!)

If you are looking for VGA compatible touchscreen LCD monitors in India for your HTPC, you can order them through iRide Technologies. Though the model numbers may sound strange, they are just re-numbered Lilliput monitors which are very popular in CarPC circles. They can do the job just fine as HTPC control monitors but I'd recommend USB touch screens monitors from MIMO as long as you don't intend to play HD videos through those tiny screens. The best part is MIMO screens don't need bulky VGA cables to be routed since Video, touchscreen, power are all carried by single USB cable.

Needless to say that these are much cheaper abroad. Ex. Mp3Car Custom Car Computers!

Hi,
Finally got a LCD screen.
It is a 3.8" LCD monitor, the type that is primarily used with car reverse cameras., but serves my purpose well.
It has 2 composite video input and requires 12V DC power. It even has a card remote with basic settings like power on-off, brightness, contrast etc (see picture below with remote placed in the foreground).
p1010598x.jpg

I was also looking for small wireless touch screen monitor (5" to 7") which acts as second monitor so that I can roam around in the house and control the computer using that monitor specially audio.
I searched a lot around two years back could not find one.

use ipod touch or iphone with remote desktop/ vnc app.

I was also looking for small wireless touch screen monitor (5" to 7") which acts as second monitor so that I can roam around in the house and control the computer using that monitor specially audio.
I searched a lot around two years back could not find one.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back