Small setup, big room, limited options. Please Suggestions Please.

avink

Small setup, big room, limited options. Suggestions Please

I recently moved into a bigger rented house. My setup(details in the signature below) which was just about the perfect sounding setup in relatively smaller room (around 12'x15') is now booming and missing clarity and punch in the new large living room (32'x12'). I have attached the layout with the thread(please ignore the watermark).

Sadly, I don't seem to have many options since I can place my TV on either of the two long walls only.I can't do much changes/investment as this is a rented place :(I have already placed a carpet and am planning to add a thick curtain on the left door.

Can folks suggest something else to improve the sound quality or upgrading to bigger(FS) speakers is the only option?

Attachments

• Living_Room_Design_A83.jpg
    Living_Room_Design_A83.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
Ok ....... try this out, if possible ...

1. Shift the listening area by as much possible towards the left door. Obviously, you have to first decide by how much ... easy access to the room, with 'easy and free door opening' is the first priority.

2. Locate the sofa sets on 3 sides of the carpet. Currently, it is on two sides.

3. Bring the 9.2s closer to each other. The TV and rack (not shown) to be at the centre, and the distance of the 9.2s should be not more than 24" from either ends of the TV. The 9.2s are front ported, so, the distance from the front wall is not too important. Give a slight toe-in to the speakers.

4. The Centre speaker is rear ported one, so you HAVE to provide minimum 1 ft gap from the front wall. Bring up the centre speaker.

5. Did not see the location of the Control 1 surround speakers. Possibly installed behind the sofa at the rear wall. Put them up (wall-mount), if not done already, at a height of say 6-7 ft. They too are front ported, so, no sweat. Have the speakers looking down now.

6. Arrange to fit a heavy curtain to demarcate the listening area from the rest of the room. Possibly you should be using the rest-of-the-room as your dining space.

7. AND play around with the position of the sub. Ideally, one BS should be in between the sub and the TV.

Last edited:
Further to the ideas offered, my view is as follows.

I think you are right that it will be a smart idea to upgrade towards floor standers and related.

Alternatively you can re-consider to shift your present system to some other smaller room (with special seating) which can match your earlier room dimension.

V.

Thank you all for suggestions. I have moved the setup little more left and it seems to be improved a bit now.

5. Did not see the location of the Control 1 surround speakers. Possibly installed behind the sofa at the rear wall. Put them up (wall-mount), if not done already, at a height of say 6-7 ft. They too are front ported, so, no sweat. Have the speakers looking down now.

I have not mounted them yet..wanted to finalize the main location first. I was thinking ear height with slight tilt/toe inwards. But do you think 6 ft downwards will sound better?

Tnx.

Toe in the fronts as well. If they are facing the back wall straight, the reflections from backwall will go directly in the face of speaker, creating un-necessary reverb. The Toe-in will create an angle with back wall. There will be reflections but those will now be at an angle.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back