SMSL AD18 amp review (user experience)

drkrack

I got this amp to hook up with a pair of small bookshelf speakers in my bedroom, where I'd mostly listen to streaming stuff and lack of space for a huge amp; this small AD18 with inbuilt DAC and Bluetooth made a great choice overall.

Initial impressions :
Its pretty small compared to my NAD or Onkyo, Almost half size of a brick, pretty light as well. Its portable and can be hidden from sight easily if required. Funnily the power brick that comes with the amp is equally big as the amp itself. Comes with A Bluetooth antenna which needs to be fixed to the slot and here you go..

Set up and Menu :
A large dial on the front below the tiny display is multipurpose ; acts as volume rocker, power button, menu selection; all in one brilliant. The usage is very intuitive and quite brilliant effort at simplicity by Chinese engineers. The chassis is strong enough, no typical Chinese stuff weaknesses observed. The supplied remote is all aluminum! (pretty small as much as half size of a credit card and handy) didn't work at first, but I figured out that the battery was kept upside down to prevent draining. All functions can be controlled by the remote, and again very intuitive. Volume can be increased by round dial and max reaches to 60.

First menu selection is for sources five in total Aux, Optical, Micro USB, Coax and Bluetooth. BT is 4.2 and aptx compatible. Coax is a jack type and not RCA type.
Second option is for selecting the output between headphones and speakers ; it has a very good headphone amp output. Next is EQ : has some 6 settings jazz, rock etc. Next menu is for bass and treble settings, only +/- 3 levels, Next option to change the display color from white, blue or green all with very good visibility overall. The supplied manual is pretty basic, useful nevertheless.

Sound Quality :
I used MX cables, Tannoy speakers, IPhone streaming, Marantz CD 6006 via optical and Rpi music server via USB inputs. Compared with Same sources, Gungnir DAC feeding Nad C372 to the same set of speakers.

First via Bluetooth - Apple music streaming : very clear and distortion free sound. Bluetooth has exceptional range and reception. Initially I listened via headphones and it has a great headphone amp. Easily comparable to any fiio amp below 10k.

When I switched to the speakers they sounded quite engaging but hey wait a second, Where's the bass? I changed tracks/sources to look I'm missing something but default bass was pretty abysmal in otherwise a boomy room of mine. I went through the menu and increased the bass from 0 to +1 & voila! the bass was strikingly evident. As I increased it to +3 it was boomy enough to equal my Nad amp. I listened at +1 bass for the rest of it, as it's more than adequate for anyone. The equalizer settings will do the same bass correction but didn't appeal to puritan like me. I kept EQ off and bass at +1.

The source switching was pretty easy and inbuilt DAC is of good quality. The Aux input wasn't half as good as its digital inputs. I didn't like the analog feed from Gungnir to AD18, instead I preferred giving digital input to AD18 directly! So if you are relying too much on analog sources don't consider this amp. The Wav files and Cds playback from Marantz via optical input of AD18 was pretty perfect and the best output from it, comparable to amps costing 5 times it cost.

Casual Listening :
Its a very engaging, precise sound output, you don't need to crank volume above 35 (max 60 remember). Its smooth, no distorting sounds, hums etc. It is more than enough for casual listening. Sounds get horribly distorted if you increase the volume above 50, its unbearable to say the least. But you'd never need to raise it more than 35 as it was quite loud at 30 for my listening room of 19x14ft. It has enough power to rattle large sized rooms without sound distortion. It is very enjoyable for variety of music genre, best for new bollywood hits, Rap, R&B pop etc. Oldies are good upto Gazals & Kishore but Mukesh and older sounded bit harsh, had to change treble levels to - 1.

Critical Listening :
It has fair amount of Digital glare, bit annoying with Mp3 files and acoustic guitar notes. Most of it can be tackled by EQ or Tone controls but nowhere near to analog sound.

Stereo imaging and sound stage is bit (highlighting BIT) lacking compared to chunky, costlier amps.

The voices sound bit tiny, and shallow ; the wholesomeness is lacking again its a bit of a difference in Critical listening. Sounds appear to be coming from slightly smaller speakers than what you actually expect.

The details of on board DAC are quite amazing, its a bright amp nevertheless. The DAC's resolution is similar to Smsl M8 - identical signature of ESS chip based DAC.

The highs can get really harsh, avoid pairing with brighter speakers. The sound signature is almost identical to the Yamaha amps, powerful, detailed and harsh if wrongly paired.

The bass is lacking at default but as I've mentioned earlier +1 level of bass settings is more than enough for most of people.

Final Words (for people like me)

POSITIVES

VFM
Decent power output
Good on board DAC
Good headphone amp
Very good Bluetooth connection
Plethora of digital inputs
Small, power efficient
Ultra convenient remote
Good build quality, led display
Very Good sound quality for casual listening, SQ deficiencies are evident only during critical listening

NEGATIVES

Poor sound quality with analog input
Distorted sound at higher volumes
Default bass is lacking
Digital glare, needs tonal controls
Overtly Bright becomes harsh if speakers are not matched, ears will fatigue early
Wholesomeness of the vocals is bit lacking, so is sound stage and imaging.
After sales service support
Reliability is a concern, amp developed problems in 30hrs of listening. (read below)

RELIABILITY
Most importantly after some 30hrs of listening amp one day, suddenly became very damped and the whole volume and details are gone. It produced faint distorted sound. Cranking the volume to even max it was barely audible, leave alone the details. As if only 15% of power is being delivered. Surprisingly the headphone amp section is working perfectly fine. I don't know what's gone wrong. Aliexpress seller isn't responding properly, returning is the only option as it is in the window of return window of aliexpress. I have already raised a dispute ticket from my side hopefully I get a refund or a replacement (honestly I'm ok with this amp & it serves my purpose completely) ASAP. If the buyer guarantee does not work out, I'll end up with a non working amp or good headphone amp costing 11k!
[emoji22] [emoji22] [emoji22]

Specifications :

Model Number: AD18
Signal to noise ratio: 90dB
Power amplifier output power (4ohm): 80W * 2 (45w*2 - 8ohm)
Headphone output (32 ohms):*53mW@THD = 0.04%
THD + N: 0.04%
EQ Quantity: 7 kinds
Treble adjustment range: 8dB
Bass adjustment range: 8dB
Bluetooth specification: BT4.2
Input interface: USB, coaxial, 3.5mm analog, Bluetooth, optical fiber * 2
Output interface: amplifier output port, headphone port
Chip: TAS5508C, TAS5342A, CS8422, VT1620A, MAX97220A, CS5341, BT4.2 Bluetooth module, NE5532
USB sampling rate: 16bit 44.1kHz-48kHz-96kHz-192kHz; 24bit 44.1kHz-48kHz-96kHz
USB Compatibility: USB2.0
Optical fiber sampling rate: 16bit44.1kHz-48kHz-96kHz-192kHz
Coaxial sampling rate: 16bit44.1kHz-48kHz-96kHz-192kHz
Power amplifier power consumption: 50W
Amp consumption: 4W
Standby power: 0.8W
Supply voltage: 24V
Total weight: 1.55Kg
Packing size: 275 * 231 * 74mm

Package:

Power supply

MICRO USB cable

Remote control

Antenna

cbb346293881f9a3bb6feb249e510b81.jpg

Last edited:
Good review of the product..Sad to hear that you have received a faulty component.. Good luck replacing it..

I had an SMSL Q5 Pro, which also uses the same chipset, remote, less power and minus the bluetooth receiver..

Few things that i observed with SMSL Q5 Pro..

- Bass was sufficient.. I kept the EQ0, All tone controls set to '0'..
- Klipsch is one speaker which is known for excited treble, but surprisingly it wasn't when i paired SMSL Q5 Pro. So amp is not bright IMO..
- Initially i felt the High freq was lil skewed, but overtime, it changed..
- For most part of my stereo playback, i used the Micro USB port on the amplifier..

All in all, a lovely piece of amplifier for the money.. Too hard to ignore..

Thanks for the detailed review. I own a SMSL Q5 pro and your experience with SMSL is worrying. Hope everything will be set right by the seller.

Good review of the product..Sad to hear that you have received a faulty component.. Good luck replacing it..

I had an SMSL Q5 Pro, which also uses the same chipset, remote, less power and minus the bluetooth receiver..

Few things that i observed with SMSL Q5 Pro..

- Bass was sufficient.. I kept the EQ0, All tone controls set to '0'..
- Klipsch is one speaker which is known for excited treble, but surprisingly it wasn't when i paired SMSL Q5 Pro. So amp is not bright IMO..
- Initially i felt the High freq was lil skewed, but overtime, it changed..
- For most part of my stereo playback, i used the Micro USB port on the amplifier..

All in all, a lovely piece of amplifier for the money.. Too hard to ignore..
Q5 has a dedicated Sub out, and a different Chipset, probably that changes the sound signature and default bass. AD18 is a advanced version of Q5, supposedly the Quality Control isn't on par I think.
Came across similar problems faced by others as well...

https://youtu.be/gKwDoU6Movc

Thanks for the detailed review. I own a SMSL Q5 pro and your experience with SMSL is worrying. Hope everything will be set right by the seller.
Yeah, its paining to witness your amp getting problems in less than 30hrs. Actually I loved the sound, the convenience, as it fits the needs perfectly and was planning to get a pair of bookshelves to go with it.

Headphone amp is working perfectly , but other than that very faint distorted sound from speaker output. Any solution from technical people, what could've gone wrong? My regular technician does not have any clue about it, he says it'll be single board which needs replacing and difficult to get.

The aliexpress seller wants it to be shipped back to China and I'll have to bear the courier expenses, its coming to 4k+ any other cheaper courier services you can recommend? I'll stand to lose that amount anyways...

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

Q5 has a dedicated Sub out, and a different Chipset, probably that changes the sound signature and default bass. AD18 is a advanced version of Q5, supposedly the Quality Control isn't on par I think.
Came across similar problems faced by others as well...

This info is from Aliexpress :

SMSL Q5 pro : SA9023 + CS8422 + TAS5508C + TAS5342A

SMSL AD18 TAS5508C/TAS5342A/CS8422/VT1620A/MAX97220A/CS5341/BT4.2/NE5532

The PWM processor TAS5508C and amplifier TAS5342A are the same in both models..

This info is from Aliexpress :

SMSL Q5 pro : SA9023 + CS8422 + TAS5508C + TAS5342A

SMSL AD18 TAS5508C/TAS5342A/CS8422/VT1620A/MAX97220A/CS5341/BT4.2/NE5532

The PWM processor TAS5508C and amplifier TAS5342A are the same in both models..

That's a good info, The Power brick makes all the difference (between Q5 & AD18) in that case apart from BT, That makes fixing the amp easier if I could source the desired amp board . It is the amp board that seems to have gone wrong as BT , DAC and Headphone amp are working perfectly...
any suggestions from the experienced FMs ?

Edit:
Update now : AliExpress seller is requesting to send it back for refund. Sending back is costing more than 4.5k..

Any cheaper options for couriering back to Mainland China? Speed post doesn't ship electronics to China...

Last edited by a moderator:
Update now : AliExpress seller is requesting to send it back for refund. Sending back is costing more than 4.5k..

Any cheaper options for couriering back to Mainland China? Speed post doesn't ship electronics to China...

Juz a thought - If shipping from Singapore/Hongkong is feasible/cheaper, then try to look for sources who will visit sooner and can carry as part of baggage.. Think this should reduce shipping cost..

Juz a thought - If shipping from Singapore/Hongkong is feasible/cheaper, then try to look for sources who will visit sooner and can carry as part of baggage.. Think this should reduce shipping cost..
No not possible currently to ship from Hong Kong etc.
Looking for cheap shipping options, anyone has sent electronic items for repair or refund?

Update There's no Cheaper Options to send it Back , India Post does not accept Electronics. Any other options ?

Seller Responded : He'd Pay half of the Return shipping Charges , if he could find the issue in the amp. So will use FedEx etc to ship back - Should I ask for Refund or Replacement is the question ...

I really Liked the amp as long as it worked & it fit my requirements (BT streaming) perfectly . The Sound for stereo Listening was as good as from the Denon AVR in stereo mode at regular volumes. Otherwise I need to add the DAC and BT to my hefty Onkyo 8470 ( the space would be a concern) which I had planned to sell off.

So that leads us to another comparison with Three Budget Friendly Combinations.
1. NEW Cheaper Stereo Amps from Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo < 25k
2. Vintage amps < 20k ( I wouldn't Pay more than that for Vintage) + DAC - No Remote here unfortunately
3. Chinese amps from SMSL/Breeze audio ~12k & invest in Better speakers
What's Your Take ?

Seller Responded : He'd Pay half of the Return shipping Charges , if he could find the issue in the amp. So will use FedEx etc to ship back - Should I ask for Refund or Replacement is the question ...

Seller accepting half of the return charges is good.. IMO, you should ask for replacement..

I really Liked the amp as long as it worked & it fit my requirements (BT streaming) perfectly .

So that leads us to another comparison with Three Budget Friendly Combinations.
1. NEW Cheaper Stereo Amps from Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo < 25k
2. Vintage amps < 20k ( I wouldn't Pay more than that for Vintage) + DAC - No Remote here unfortunately
3. Chinese amps from SMSL/Breeze audio ~12k & invest in Better speakers
What's Your Take ?

Again IMO, Option 3.. SMSL does the job fine, and that too half of what you are expecting to spend, also comes with a handy remote.. invest on better speakers, i think u would benefit..

Seller accepting half of the return charges is good.. IMO, you should ask for replacement..

Again IMO, Option 3.. SMSL does the job fine, and that too half of what you are expecting to spend, also comes with a handy remote.. invest on better speakers, i think u would benefit..

Finally I was able to ship it via Ems Speedpost@ 1k (I love India post [emoji106][emoji106]), but from Bengaluru, there's some serious security concerns in Hyderabad to ship electronics to China I think. Got the Refund approved as well. So partly a happy ending.

I decided against getting a replacement as it'd take 15days and there's many similar issues reported with this model in particular. Meanwhile I temporarily bought a used Norge 1200 Pre/Pro from a local seller and using it with Gungnir DAC and happy with the performance. I'd upgrade to a better amp after careful auditioning later.

That is good. I too used the India Post to ship back a defective electronic item in February to Hong Kong.
Only thing was, I had to show the product and pack in their office, the import invoice, custom receipt and the return request from the seller. Surprisingly the product reached HK withing 4 days and I got the refund the same day as I had used paypal. The seller also footed the courier charges.

Coming to SMSL, I have owned the Sanskrit 6th Generation and have also heard the M series DACs. In both the cases i have been disappointed with the midrange which sounds quite veiled.

Question: would an amp having 4-way speaker output (such as for banana plugs) be considered a Balanced output if used with a Balanced 4-way banana to 4-pin XLR cable? Or would it depend on the amp chip? I'm asking for the SMSL AD18 DAC/AMP.

Finally I was able to ship it via Ems Speedpost@ 1k (I love India post [emoji106][emoji106]), but from Bengaluru, there's some serious security concerns in Hyderabad to ship electronics to China I think. Got the Refund approved as well. So partly a happy ending.

I decided against getting a replacement as it'd take 15days and there's many similar issues reported with this model in particular. Meanwhile I temporarily bought a used Norge 1200 Pre/Pro from a local seller and using it with Gungnir DAC and happy with the performance. I'd upgrade to a better amp after careful auditioning later.

Did you get a new Amp ? ( I was watching the whole conversation ) If yes please do share with us!

Nope I got my Money Back (Well 1k loss for return shipping), I posted it from GPO Bangalore to China, Because GPO Hyderabad didn't accept electronic parcels to China.
Ok, I am planing to buy this Amp from Alibaba /Banggood. After reading your story I am little worry about to make that purchase. But still I cant find any alternative for this Amp with its price(10K).Whats your thoughts abt the amp now. there are plenty of review on you tube for the amp. and is Boston Acoustics A26 is good companion for this amp. I am used to listen Computer speakers like Altech Lansing MX5021, Logitech Z623/625. So Idon't know how these set up sound like ?

Ok, I am planing to buy this Amp from Alibaba /Banggood. After reading your story I am little worry about to make that purchase. But still I cant find any alternative for this Amp with its price(10K).Whats your thoughts abt the amp now. there are plenty of review on you tube for the amp. and is Boston Acoustics A26 is good companion for this amp. I am used to listen Computer speakers like Altech Lansing MX5021, Logitech Z623/625. So Idon't know how these set up sound like ?

I will suggest to avoid buying it, there are lot of complaints online for this particular mode & it will cost Not less than 10k to get here. there are better alternatives like these...
Better Specs, 5K costlier but 6 months Indian warranty
https://www.hifimart.com/electronics/amplifiers/integrated-amplifiers/byford-audio-str200-bt.html

Well Known audiophile brand should be able to drive BA26 with Ease
https://www.hifimart.com/electronic...mplifiers/cambridge-audio-topaz-am5-amplifier

Look For Indian Manfacturers like Norge or well maintained Vintage amps can be considered at this price range.
(Open a "amp wanted" thread with mentioning your budget & requirements )

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back