SMSL SU-8 vs Schiit Modi Multi Bit

Hi Members ,

Which is the better option VFM between SMSL SU-8 and Schiit Modi Multi Bit. Coudnt find comparison between the two products online.
Can members share their view ?

Warm Regards
JK

SMSL SU-8 V2 - packed full of features, objectively better (measurements available on audiosciencereview)
Schiit Modi MB - lacks most features found in SU-8, incremental sound improvement over the Modi (from my experience)

You might as well wait for the Modius to be available on HPZ to compare with the SU-8 V2

If getting from US, then you have more options. Why only these two?

Check out this one:

MaSh
This is a good option, but the lack of USB input is a bummer.

The SU-8 V2 reigns supreme when it comes to input options.

On the other hand, the Modius has unison USB and XLR outs for $200.

Both felt very good VFM compared to anything out there under $300.

SMSL SU-8 V2 - packed full of features, objectively better (measurements available on audiosciencereview)
Schiit Modi MB - lacks most features found in SU-8, incremental sound improvement over the Modi (from my experience)

You might as well wait for the Modius to be available on HPZ to compare with the SU-8 V2
I owned both Smsl Su-8 V1 and Modi Multibit.
If you need XLR output and lots of Resolution go with Smsl. Crazy amount of details, but bit (harsh) bright sound, which can be tamed to good extent with good power cable. V2 seems to be better than V1. Its typical Ess chipset signature married to chi-fi hardware.

If You want good tonality balanced sound, bit warmer side, go with Modi Multibit. Its more musical with good instrumental separation etc. But you'll have upgrade itch very sooner with either of two.
If you are getting from USA, get Bifrost Multibit 2 and you don't need to upgrade for another 2yrs. Its one of the most VFM DAC currently.

This was my sale thread, I sold both of them for Schiit Gungnir Multibit eventually.
Multibit Smsl Su-8 Sale thread

I owned both Smsl Su-8 V1 and Modi Multibit.
If you need XLR output and lots of Resolution go with Smsl. Crazy amount of details, but bit (harsh) bright sound, which can be tamed to good extent with good power cable. V2 seems to be better than V1. Its typical Ess chipset signature married to chi-fi hardware.

If You want good tonality balanced sound, bit warmer side, go with Modi Multibit. Its more musical with good instrumental separation etc. But you'll have upgrade itch very sooner with either of two.
If you are getting from USA, get Bifrost Multibit 2 and you don't need to upgrade for another 2yrs. Its one of the most VFM DAC currently.

This was my sale thread, I sold both of them for Schiit Gungnir Multibit eventually.
Multibit Smsl Su-8 Sale thread
Thanks for reply
bifrost is way beyond budget.
So buying smsl.

IMO, buying from headphonezone is better as there is no headache of customs. Also, they're the authorised dealer for many brands, so warranty is taken care of.

But, I too wished that they didn't charge more than 15% of the USD equivalent amount, so that it would be the go to place for us.

Hey,
What about upgrading from FiiO K5 pro to Modious (Once it becomes available!?) I should have gone for balanced DAC and XLRs .... I have the K5 pro connected to my PC.

that ESS 9038 qm based TR AMP from Earmen is another great choice also does full MQA decoding if you are into Tidal streaming. Haven't heard it myself but a couple of folks who I know own some great R2R DACs swear by it. It also has a potent headphone amp built in that can drive some tough HPs like the Sennheisser HD650 pretty well.

Hey,
What about upgrading from FiiO K5 pro to Modious (Once it becomes available!?) I should have gone for balanced DAC and XLRs .... I have the K5 pro connected to my PC.
I haven't heard the K5, but I believe providing input via XLR to most speakers will improve their SQ. I'm using the Topping E30 with Mackie 624s and find RCA inputs to be satisfying my SQ expectations.

P.S: XLR connection helps keep the noise floor down especially for long cabling. But your speakers should be highly resolving to hear that difference.

I haven't heard the K5, but I believe providing input via XLR to most speakers will improve their SQ. I'm using the Topping E30 with Mackie 624s and find RCA inputs to be satisfying my SQ expectations.

P.S: XLR connection helps keep the noise floor down especially for long cabling. But your speakers should be highly resolving to hear that difference.
I am also using RCA. I face this issue:

It is a known Nvidia issue happens only while gaming : GPU related / no fix yet. No issue when I'm not gaming.

I am not really sure if moving to XLR will fix the issue.

I am also using RCA. I face this issue:

It is a known Nvidia issue happens only while gaming : GPU related / no fix yet. No issue when I'm not gaming.

I am not really sure if moving to XLR will fix the issue.
I have the GTX1070 and haven't had any sound issues while playing games or editing videos. But it looks like there are already few suggestions provided in that link you shared.

Read up on how XLR works and see if it takes care of this issue for you.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back