Software to access headless Windows music PC without internet

Naturelover

Staff member
Hi, I've been using Spashtop from an iPad to access and control my headless music-only Windows 7 PC. I can do this without needing to have the music PC connected to the net. The same holds true when I use my android phone.
I want to use my laptop for the same purpose. But, lo and behold, I find I need to have the music PC connected to the net :mad:.
I have written to Splashtop but they say I do need to have the music PC connected to the net.

I need to know if there is some way I can use Splashtop on my laptop else suggestions for alternative softwares so that I can access the music PC without having it connected to the internet.

I play my music using Foobar2000.

I am assuming this controlling of your music PC, windows 7, is done within your home LAN, and not from Internet. If my assumption is correct why are you using splashtop on the first place to control your music PC?.

If both the devices, your laptop and your music PC belong to the same home network? (i.e connected to same router) then all you need is remote desktop publishing RDP, build in to windows to take complete control of your music PC. This is again assuming that both PCs are at least running Windows 7 Professional or later version. .... and you do not need Internet to RDP in to a system unless you are RDPing from outside your home LAN.

Hi, I've been using Spashtop from an iPad to access and control my headless music-only Windows 7 PC. I can do this without needing to have the music PC connected to the net. The same holds true when I use my android phone.
I want to use my laptop for the same purpose. But, lo and behold, I find I need to have the music PC connected to the net :mad:.
I have written to Splashtop but they say I do need to have the music PC connected to the net.

I need to know if there is some way I can use Splashtop on my laptop else suggestions for alternative softwares so that I can access the music PC without having it connected to the internet.

I play my music using Foobar2000.

@Rajiv
You do not require net connection for accessing the Foobar2000 on your music-pc. I use the Foobar app from the Android playstore and it works without any issue. The only thing which needs is that both your Foobar installed music-pc (or laptop) should be in the same wifi/LAN network along with the mobile/tablet and just enable the http plugin on the Foobar settings. You can also use the "Monkeymote" app which is a universal app for all kinds of software players especially for the ones which may not have default mobile apps.

Now I know this would be clear as daylight for all three of you but it's clear as mud to me :D

I should have said that I am a complete noob at this. I selected Splashtop just by chance when I came across it somewhere.

I believe the "object name" in RDP on the music PC would be the name of the laptop. Is that right?
It says object not found when I type in the laptop name.

My music PC runs on Win 7 ultimate whereas the laptop runs on Win 8.
Both are connected to my Home network but not to the net.

Now I know this would be clear as daylight for all three of you but it's clear as mud to me :D

I should have said that I am a complete noob at this. I selected Splashtop just by chance when I came across it somewhere.

I believe the "object name" in RDP on the music PC would be the name of the laptop. Is that right?
It says object not found when I type in the laptop name.

My music PC runs on Win 7 ultimate whereas the laptop runs on Win 8.
Both are connected to my Home network but not to the net.
Check if your music PC is set to allow RDP connections.
Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\System\Remote settings\Remote Desktop.

Check if your music PC is set to allow RDP connections.
Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\System\Remote settings\Remote Desktop.

Thanks Keith.
Is this what you meant? This is from the music PC.
j0hc1j.jpg

Thanks.
No, not able to ping either machine from the other.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Thanks.
No, not able to ping either machine from the other.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Switch off windows firewall on BOTH PCs. or if there is any other pc security app installed disable that as well, then you will be able to ping.

then enable RDP on both PCs and then try

k9plcKG.jpg

Also usually Network Discovery is on by default, but if by chance it is not you need to enable it that as well

Up8odjo.jpg

Last edited:
Foobar controller App from play store works well.

Jut you need to add HttpControl component to the Foobar components folder. This will enable a remote control of your playback from your mobile or tablet. Need to configure the IP and port that the service runs [Available in preferences]. (This has to be set in the app to control.). If you have the foobar to run in startup then you done need to check anything. Once you switch on system which is connected in a local router and the mobile/ tablet has to be in the same wifi network, you are ready to hit play.

Able to control Music playback, Volume control, browse files and folders, display album art. Very convenient.

RDP way is the other geeky way.

Tried both, for Foobar you wont need more than those controls from App.

Last edited:
OP if you only want to control foobar app then Httpcontrol component is the way to go, if you wanna have complete control of the entire PC then RDP is the solution, which ofcourse gives you control of everything running, including foobar

Got it, Sam. Thanks a lot. Except that now I find that RDP is not supported by the Win 8.1 on my laptop :mad:
Seems Win 10 does support. Maybe I should take the free upgrade offer?

Thanks Arun, but I want to use the laptop and not a tablet or mobile phone. I don't very much like small screens.

Switch off windows firewall on BOTH PCs. or if there is any other pc security app installed disable that as well, then you will be able to ping.

then enable RDP on both PCs and then try

Foobar controller App from play store works well.

Jut you need to add HttpControl component to the Foobar components folder. This will enable a remote control of your playback from your mobile or tablet. Need to configure the IP and port that the service runs [Available in preferences]. (This has to be set in the app to control.). If you have the foobar to run in startup then you done need to check anything. Once you switch on system which is connected in a local router and the mobile/ tablet has to be in the same wifi network, you are ready to hit play.

Able to control Music playback, Volume control, browse files and folders, display album art. Very convenient.

RDP way is the other geeky way.

Tried both, for Foobar you wont need more than those controls from App.

Got it, Sam. Thanks a lot. Except that now I find that RDP is not supported by the Win 8.1 on my laptop :mad:

Thanks Arun, but I want to use the laptop and not a tablet or mobile phone. I don't very much like small screens.

Rajiv, you can try to use the personal (free) edition of Teamviewer instead of the RDP. I used to use earlier to control my music-pc and its a great software for this purpose. Just choose the option of personal use and it will be free. You need to install this on both of your PCs to control it and just create IDs on both the installations. Pretty straight forward, if you find it difficult then do let me know and I can help you out. The other bigger advantage is that the Teamviewer ID which is created in any of the PCs can be controlled via other Teamviewer installed PCs anywhere in the world. I do control and guide my brother in US for audio related stuff :lol:

Thanks. Exactly what I needed :). And definitely pretty straightforward :D
I have been familiar with Teamviewer for long but never realized it could be used in a home network without connecting to the net.

Rajiv, you can try to use the personal (free) edition of Teamviewer instead of the RDP. I used to use earlier to control my music-pc and its a great software for this purpose. Just choose the option of personal use and it will be free. You need to install this on both of your PCs to control it and just create IDs on both the installations. Pretty straight forward, if you find it difficult then do let me know and I can help you out. The other bigger advantage is that the Teamviewer ID which is created in any of the PCs can be controlled via other Teamviewer installed PCs anywhere in the world. I do control and guide my brother in US for audio related stuff :lol:

A r sure?, AFAIK, windows 8.1 has RDP as standard feature, anyway which 8.1 version u have. I take RDP of my 8.1 Pro VM all the time .......

BTW Team viewer is good however for local remote nothing is as fast as RDP, its just like working on the same system itself. Team Viewer (even though works on local lan) is more suited for taking remote from outside (internet), even though I still prefer RDP from outside as well ..(yea you can do that) or VPN even better ...:) , but for relatives and friends remote troubleshooting yea I agree TeamViewer is pretty good ... :)

Last edited:
A r sure?, AFAIK, windows 8.1 has RDP as standard feature, anyway which 8.1 version u have. I take RDP of my 8.1 Pro VM all the time .......

Thanks Sam.
I read on the net that RDP is supported only in Win 8.1 pro. My laptop info merely says "Windows 8.1".
The Remote Settings window looks like this. (No Remote Desktop options)

1z6w1za.jpg

Anyway, I downloaded the Remote Desktop app from Windows store. I am now being asked for my credentials (user name and password). Now what are these?

315jywp.jpg

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back