Soldering

sidvee

I want to buy a soldering setup to do some small DIY projects. Is this a good option? or would you recommend any others.
Cheers,
Sid

And I would welcome any tips on basic soldering tips, as I am a complete newbie.
Cheers,
Sid

@sidvee if your requirement is the occasional repairing job or putting together some cable, just get yourself a 25 Watt Soldron with medium tip. Will cost about ~₹200. You'll need the actual solder too. Buy regular 60:40 solder. Silver solder can be tough to solder right for someone starting out Solder paste is essential too. Even a small one goes a long way. And a soldering iron stand is essential.

If you need to desolder components from circuit boards then suction gun (Soldron has a nice one) and copper braided desolder wick are useful.

Temperature controlled irons are useful if you're going to handle temperature sensitive components like ICs or tiny SMDs.

And, print this and read it at least 5 times: :p. Tried and tested instructions!

Last edited:
i purchased goot and its one of the best and higly reliable tip. i prefer gun type and its 40w.rating.

I ordered the soldron unit. I need it to extend some of my in-wall HT speaker wires, and have to splice the wires, so I thought this will be a good time to pick up some basic soldering skills. Thanks everyone, much appreciated.
Cheers,
Sid

And I would welcome any tips on basic soldering tips, as I am a complete newbie.
Cheers,
Sid

I'm in the same boat as you, a total newbie

These are some things that I've learnt

Buy very good solder

Joint is a good brand, @Rs 1800 a kilo.

Don't buy cheap solder, they are a pain to use.

Flux is in various forms, always use flux. I tried the Soldron liquid flux, though the guy said it's used for smd soldering, I found that it works great for me. Better than the paste.

I ordered the soldron unit. I need it to extend some of my in-wall HT speaker wires, and have to splice the wires, so I thought this will be a good time to pick up some basic soldering skills. Thanks everyone, much appreciated.
Cheers,
Sid
Don't forget to buy one meter each of all sizes of heat shrink tubing to cover the soldered joints

I'm in the same boat as you, a total newbie

These are some things that I've learnt

Buy very good solder

Joint is a good brand, @Rs 1800 a kilo.

Don't buy cheap solder, they are a pain to use.

Flux is in various forms, always use flux. I tried the Soldron liquid flux, though the guy said it's used for smd soldering, I found that it works great for me. Better than the paste.
+1 to liquid flux. Ever since I bought it on a shops recommendation, I've never used flux paste.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back