Song meanings or lyrics that moved/move you whatever the genre.

Sushant Sharma

Thought of starting a new thread and I searched briefly and didnt find much but this thread can be merged if it exists already. Intent being to post and quote songs/lyrics that brought a spring in your step or memories of days gone or however they floated (or drowned) your boat. Hope you share words you like from songs/ trivia/ feelings et al. I will take the liberty to initiate proceedings.

Deja vu has never been better described in a lyrical composition.

For certain reasons. There are songs that take us to where we belong, where we started and what we had to endure to get to where we are today. For better or for worse. This is that song that does it for me because it takes me back, in time.

Last edited:

For certain reasons. There are songs that take us to where we belong, where we started and what we had to endure to get to where we are today. For better or for worse. This is that song that does it for me because it takes me back, in time.
Cheers Black_Hawk and thanks for the share and this profound and meaningful thought.

@Sushant Sharma nice thread starter :)

"Muh ki baat", the title track to "Neem ka ped [TV Serial]" that aired on Doordarshan in 1991 and later released as part of Album "Insight". Sung by Jagjit Singh and beautiful lyrics by poet Nida Fazli. This song brings back memories from the good old 90s :) [I had posted this in another thread, so copying it here]

Rarely do we get lyrics like these.......
Sadiyon Sadiyon Vahi Tamasha, Rasta Rasta Lambi Khoj
Lekin Jab Hum Mil Jaate Hain, Kho Jaata Hai Jaane Kaun
Aawazon Ke Bazaaron Mein Khamoshi Pehchane Kaun

Muh Ki Baat Sune Har Koi......

From Rabindranath Tagore, this song is beautiful and highly evocative that it brings back long-lost memories. I don't know Bengali, but I believe this translation as well as this interpretation are right.

I guess certain songs turns meaningful with certain age.In childhood ,there can be few songs which may be our top priority. In younger age, may some romantic songs with beautiful meaning be apealling. After that some song with reality may be listenable and it goes on.
Music and meanings really matters with certain situations and emotions.Hard to point out any single :).

Lyrics of Les Miserables (the stage version) are powerful, thrilling and haunting.
An adaptation of a work of such proportion will surely encompass many themes. Anything in particular that stayed with you more than other. thanks for the share.

"Perhaps my favorite of these elusive words is saudade, a Portuguese and Galician term that is a common fixture in the literature and music of Brazil, Portugal, Cape Verde and beyond. The concept has many definitions, including a melancholy nostalgia for something that perhaps has not even happened. It often carries an assurance that this thing you feel nostalgic for will never happen again. My favorite definition of saudade is by Portuguese writer Manuel de Melo: "a pleasure you suffer, an ailment you enjoy."

I enjoy so many versions of this song and the song has been covered by multiple artists..thanks

I enjoy so many versions of this song and the song has been covered by multiple artists..thanks
Sam Cooke wrote this song of-course, the lyrics are very profouund something from deep within him. Thats why in my opinion no-one else can do justice to this song other than him singing it.

I guess most songs pre 80s were quite meaningful be it any genre. Indian music had some of the finest lyricist that the industry has seen and most of the time, the songs were written to the situation in the movie and left a lasting impression.

"Perhaps my favorite of these elusive words is saudade, a Portuguese and Galician term that is a common fixture in the literature and music of Brazil, Portugal, Cape Verde and beyond. The concept has many definitions, including a melancholy nostalgia for something that perhaps has not even happened. It often carries an assurance that this thing you feel nostalgic for will never happen again. My favorite definition of saudade is by Portuguese writer Manuel de Melo: "a pleasure you suffer, an ailment you enjoy."

Have you heard Cesaria Evora’s renditon of Saudade? Here’s a live version

As one commentator there added, other interesting meanings of Saudade:
“The feeling of longing for someone that you love and is lost”, or
“vague and constant desire for something that does not and probably cannot exist”.[/MEDIA]

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you heard Cesaria Evora’s renditon of Saudade? Here’s a live version

As one commentator there added, other interesting meanings of Saudade:
“The feeling of longing for someone that you love and is lost”, or
“vague and constant desire for something that does not and probably cannot exist”.[/MEDIA]
Hi Sachin. yeah she has a lovely voice. one of the greats. I was introduced to her just a couple of months by an American Mexican guest who frequents my cafe. also love the song "petite pays".

In Hindi - A great fan of Kishore Kumar

Ruk jana nahin tu kahin haar ke - Imtihan

Wake up Sid - Title Song - This song keeps reminding me at various stages in my life , that its time to change - it could be personal or professional

In Tamil - A great fan of Ilaiyaraaja

Amma Endru - From "Mannan", - Keeps reminding you of all that your mother has done for you .

“Lemon tree very pretty and the lemon flower is sweet, but the fruit of the poor lemon is impossible to eat”!
Peter, Paul and Mary sang those words many moons ago ---what a simple lyrics....what a nice song . I first heard it when i was just 12 years old. Since then,it lingers again and again in mind's temple ..........

From my days of Sony walkman(tape). Esp for the the voice of don Williams and the lyrics. A nicely written poem. Only few voices haunted me a lot during my young age. One is don and another -"Chris Issac", tops the list...
I don't have any idea how many times I would have heard them.... Thank you Sushant for starting this thread. Sharing these songs are like "saying once again "love you" to sweet wife and feeling still it is the first time..."
I believe in You- Don Williams

Chris Isaak - Wicked Game

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back