Sonodyne Amp & Bookshelf versus Cambridge Audio S30, Topping TP20, NuForce Icon uD

AmitKumar

Dear Friends,

I have been going through the forum from last fews weeks even though i joined about 2 years back, there is so much contributed by all of you and I say Thanks to all of you for contributing so much information on this forum.

I was looking for a budget setup of Amp and bookshelf speakers, after going through many reviews i think following are the two options.

1) Combination of Cambridge Audio S30/other speaker, Topping TP20, NuForce Icon uD as recommended by Phychotropic. (http://www.hifivision.com/speakers/...audio-s30-topping-tp20-nuforce-icon-udac.html)

2) There seems to be some discount sale on Sonodyne products. So i thought
combination of Sonodyne SiA 310 Stereo Amplifier+Sonodyne Sonus 1501 V3 Bookshelf or some other speakers will cost around 20k or lessor. This seems to be a good option too.

I have one more doubt.
do you guys feel that performance of Topping TP20 or Sonodyne Amp is as good as the likes of Nad, Marantz, Denon etc? If not then i may want to wait for few months and then buy the likes of Nad, Marantz or Denon.

I request all of you to help me with this. So that i can make final decision and proceed further.

Regards Amit

Re: Sonodyne Amp & Bookshelf versus Cambridge Audio S30, Topping TP20, NuForce Icon u

Amit,
Best thing is to audition these systems and trust your ears.

Re: Sonodyne Amp & Bookshelf versus Cambridge Audio S30, Topping TP20, NuForce Icon u

If its the 26% discount you are talking about the sonodyne, i think its meant for the items purchased from Kolkata only. :)

If its the 26% discount you are talking about the sonodyne, i think its meant for the items purchased from Kolkata only. :)

I can arrange for a pick up from Kolkata through a friend. or there may be a courier cost of abt 1k or so if nobody can bring it.

So net net my discount will abt 20 percent.

What is more important is to know which is a better combination.

Regards, Amit

Amit,
Best thing is to audition these systems and trust your ears.

Hi Mksharan,

i went to audition Sonodyne two times to Croma, Eva mall, but there was nobody to take care of the Sonodyne Counter. So came back without audition.

Dont know where to audition Toppings, may i should request fellow members in Bangalore.

Regards, Amit

S30 are much capable speakers,I liked them over Tannoy series.

S30 are much capable speakers,I liked them over Tannoy series.

Thanks a lot for your revert on S30.

But all my other doubts remain unanswered.

Please help.

Regards, Amit

Hi Joyous

Thanks for linking me to this link.

Is this kind of event very common with sonodyne or it is just one of that bad patch on a smooth road.

Regards, Amit

I purchased one Sonodyne speakers and they were good. I don't know about amplifier. But after reading this thread, I thought I must share to you. It's not one incident, it's two.

I purchased one Sonodyne speakers and they were good. I don't know about amplifier. But after reading this thread, I thought I must share to you. It's not one incident, it's two.

Thanks a lot for your response. Could you please help me with my original doubt?

Regards, Amit

^^ I'm not an audiophile and don't know any audio jargons but with my limited experience I can say that Sonodyne SiA310 and Sonodyne 1501 BS (which I bought from 'joyous') are good, if not excellent. The bass is adequate for a small room and highs are clear. The problem with my amp may be an odd case, but they have agreed to replace it with a new one. Infact the Banglore Service Manager called me and assured that they will bring a new replacement and they will also test my bad amp to find out what actually is the problem with all those humming. They will even refund the shipping charge if you ever need to send the amp or any other product to service.

^^ I'm not an audiophile and don't know any audio jargons but with my limited experience I can say that Sonodyne SiA310 and Sonodyne 1501 BS (which I bought from 'joyous') are good, if not excellent. The bass is adequate for a small room and highs are clear. The problem with my amp may be an odd case, but they have agreed to replace it with a new one. Infact the Banglore Service Manager called me and assured that they will bring a new replacement and they will also test my bad amp to find out what actually is the problem with all those humming. They will even refund the shipping charge if you ever need to send the amp or any other product to service.

Thanks Baijuxaviour

From your response it seems sonodyne response is good.

I hope your amp is replaced or repaired.

Best Wishes, Amit

Thanks a lot for your response. Could you please help me with my original doubt?

Regards, Amit

I suggest you to audition sonodyne system first. If you like it, go for it as it's cheaper. Otherwise regard the words of your first advisor and go for the first option.

I guess if sonodyne gives you good products without damages, they can't go wrong.

I suggest you to audition sonodyne system first. If you like it, go for it as it's cheaper. Otherwise regard the words of your first advisor and go for the first option.

I guess if sonodyne gives you good products without damages, they can't go wrong.

Thanks a lot Joyous.

I went to Eva mall yesterday also but there was nobody to give the demo. I recieved a call back from croma after some time to check if could go to Eva mall again to audition the same. may be i will try next week again or so.

may i know what is your current music setup?

Regards, Amit

Last edited:
I am relatively new to stereo world. I use Norge 2060 + KEF Q300 + intel high definition audio from PC (http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/chipsets/high-definition-audio.html) as source. I have 2 other vintage speakers which I use rarely. One is Sony floorstander, which I don't know model number, another is aiwa bookshelf sx-sns505. I recently sold a wharf and Sonus and I am looking for a high end dac now. Once I get dac, I think I set for at least 6 months.

Norge is good, KEF maybe little pricey for you (33k). To compare Norge with Sonodyne, look at this thread

http://www.hifivision.com/showthread.php?t=34079

Last edited:

^^ You will get better audio by using a DAC. Onboard sound card is not good.

Norge + KEF sounds very good but bit bright, highs are little sharper so it gives ear fatigue on extended listening. Changing speakers not helping, I think the sharpness comes from source. I guess a warm dac with round laid back sound will fix this.

You people can get delivered the Sonodyne products in Bangalore too. The payment will be online transfer to Sonodyne's bank a/c. Then effectively the discounts will be ~23%. Sonodyne will add 4% on the discount price (26%) as Freight & Handeling. So all can collect ur items from Lalbagh warehouse.

You people can get delivered the Sonodyne products in Bangalore too. The payment will be online transfer to Sonodyne's bank a/c. Then effectively the discounts will be ~23%. Sonodyne will add 4% on the discount price (26%) as Freight & Handeling. So all can collect ur items from Lalbagh warehouse.

If they add freight and handling, why collect by going to warehouse? They'll ship it. Right?

Or are they charging for shipment from calcutta warehouse to bangalore warehouse?

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back