Sonodyne Avant Floor Standing Speakers 345 - Views / Reviews

elangoas

Hello ppl,

I have heard the Sonodyne Sonus 2605 FS many times & i love them for their performance & price.

Avant series are Sonodyne's Top of the range model which retails for 60K a pair. Looks like they are made from Die-cast Aluminium. Could someone help me understand how Die-Cast Aluminium speakers are better than other wooden materials ?

The chennai dealer doesn't have the Avant 345. So i never had the chance to listen to them. Anyone here ever auditioned Avant 345? How is the performance.

Your views/Reviews will help me get close to Avant 345 over Sonus 2605. I like to own a pair of affordable Flagship model speakers. I am not looking for alternatives here.

150 views.... but no response... This shows the popularity of the Indian Hi-Fi flagship product in this forum.

I have auditioned their Avant 150 BS & Avant LCR 250 models for a very short time. But couldn't make many observations from it. But one thing that i observed was that the bass was lean. No boom @ all.

I understand that their studio monitor speakers all of them are made of Die-Cast Aluminium. Particularly their SM100Ak (Active Speakers) model which have been extremely good reviews.

Could someone help me understand how Die-Cast Aluminium speakers are better than other wooden materials ? Be it Active (or) Passive.

googled a little and copy,pasted the following as I personally don't have the knowledge to help you understand ;)

forums.soundandvisionmag.com
"Aluminum in certain forms is one of the more inert metals out there (ever strike a section of aluminum angle bar or channel? no ringing at all). With appropriate shaping, ribbing, bracing and such, it can be extremely innert - even much better than MDF. I imagine Paradigm designed these speakers to be extremely dead in terms of the cabinet."

Aluminum Die Casting Parts Company Kinetic Die Casting, Inc
Why Should You Use Aluminum Speaker Parts?

According to Alon Wolf, the master craftsman of speakers, many speaker manufacturers commit the mistake of using medium-density fiberboard (MDF) for their speaker enclosures. He considers using anything other than aluminum for speaker parts a big no-no because aluminum is the most appropriate material for building speakers. The basic rule for a box is that it should be stiff and well-damped and have mass. Compared to aluminum, MDF may be well-damped but it is not very stiff. It is also neither hard nor heavy as it is made up of glue and resin. Additionally, when a driver is attached to an MDF box, the MDF ends up absorbing a lot of the energy or sound that the driver is releasing. As the driver puts out energy, the MDF box continues storing the sound, which keeps building up until listeners can hear the box flexing. In the end, the results are not particularly impressive and may even be annoying to the ear. Aluminum, on the other hand, passes with flying colors when it comes to building speaker parts as the material is well-damped, stiff, and heavy enough to give a speaker box the mass that it needs. Also, aluminum speaker parts do not limit the energy that a driver puts out. When a driver is joined to a well-damped aluminum enclosure, the sound that the speaker emits is in its purest form as the aluminum speaker parts allow the drivers energy to come out freely. This results in listeners hearing things that they otherwise wouldnt hear from an MDF box.

150 views.... but no response... This shows the popularity of the Indian Hi-Fi flagship product in this forum.

I have auditioned their Avant 150 BS & Avant LCR 250 models for a very short time. But couldn't make many observations from it. But one thing that i observed was that the bass was lean. No boom @ all.

I understand that their studio monitor speakers all of them are made of Die-Cast Aluminium. Particularly their SM100Ak (Active Speakers) model which have been extremely good reviews.

Could someone help me understand how Die-Cast Aluminium speakers are better than other wooden materials ? Be it Active (or) Passive.

I have auditioned (5 speakers in HT format )for a brief period. The sound of bird chirping in the forest. It was a real breathtaking experience. It was hooked to 6 channel preamp and 6 channel power amp which are not in production now.

I have auditioned (5 speakers in HT format )for a brief period. The sound of bird chirping in the forest. It was a real breathtaking experience. It was hooked to 6 channel preamp and 6 channel power amp which are not in production now.

Thank Dr Kaushik. Atleast someone here has auditioned the Sonodyne Avant 345 FS. But that too for a very short time.:sad:

Really sad that they discontinued both the 6 Channel power amplifir & 2 channel power amplifier.

As per digiboy007 googled information, Aluminium seems to be best material for speaker cabinet.

Does dead cabinet mean that it doesn't produce any ringing sound/boom sound, nor it transfers sound from the speaker components?

Anyone here auditioned other brands aluminium speakers ?

in fact I already decided (80%) to buy sonodyne speakers as they have price range quite affordable aginst the imported ones(wharfe/polk etc) with a good sound quality.I never auditioned them and am a completle noob about speakers....
what are the suggestion from sonodyne users...my preference is movies only from blu ray player...no music listning......and also the reciever which goes well with sonodyne..denon/onkyo/marantz.......??
the reciever is also(off course:D) for movies only....
thank you for help....

Last edited:
in fact I already decided (80%) to buy sonodyne speakers as they have price range quite affordable aginst the imported ones(wharfe/polk etc) with a good sound quality.I never auditioned them and am a completle noob about speakers....
what are the suggestion from sonodyne users...my preference is movies only from blu ray player...no music listning......and also the reciever which goes well with sonodyne..denon/onkyo/marantz.......??
the reciever is also(off course:D) for movies only....
thank you for help....

Sonodyne Sonus are very good speakers. Given the rupee weakening against the dollar, it would be a wise decision to pick Sonus range.

I don't own any Sonodyne speakers, but i have auditioned them many times & have heard them in my friends house. They offer very satisfying home theater performance.

Please audition the Sonus range yourself with the movies that you have & then finalise.

My friend owns the Onkyo + Sonodyne Sonus HT package. Very good for watching movies. When i adutioned the HT package, they were paired up with Yamaha receiver. I likes Yamaha + Sonus HT Package than the Onkyo pairing.

I am yet to check the Sonus pairing with Marantz receiver & i haven't come across anyone in the forum with this pairing. I will be the one in few months :eek:hyeah:

I was searching on the net for other speaker manufactures who have built aluminium speakers. Paradigm seems to be the only other manufacturer making Aluminium speakers - Millenia Series.

I was checking the specifications for the Paradigm Millenia 200 speakers (FS) and their freq response is On-Axis / 30 Off-Axis - 2 dB from 87 Hz - 20 kHz /2 dB from 87 Hz - 18 kHz.

Millenia 200 - Welcome to the New Official Paradigm Website.

For the Sonodyne Avant 345 (FS), the FREQ. RESP is (3 dB)45 Hz ~ 21 kHz

Welcome To Sonodyne

Looks like Sonodyne Avant 345 have a better freq response than the Paradigm Millenia 200.

Has anyone here checked the Paradigm Millenia range. I know there are many who own Paradigm speakers here.. So juz collecting feedback on Aluminium speakers if you have heard them.

Last edited:
I have sonodyne sonus v3 1501+c2401+roarr 210 and Yamaha nse55 with denon 1612.I am very satisfied.Within few weeks I will buy sonus dipole.

Last edited:
i can vouch for sonus 2605...they are absolute value for the money...
Elangoas - r u forgetting that i already have marantz and sonus pairing?

Vishug/Others,

Any clue to where I can listen to Sonodyne speakers here in Bangalore? I spent better half of my Saturday today hunting for their listening room. I remember seeing it in the Forum but seems now they have shut down their shop. Then I remembered someone from this forum speak of Eva mall for their listening room but found none when I reached the place :(

Any clue?

Cheers
MSS

u can follow sonodyne in facebook...one of their sales and marketing person(forgot the name) always provides all latest infos..and answers ur question.

As per digiboy007 googled information, Aluminium seems to be best material for speaker cabinet.

Does dead cabinet mean that it doesn't produce any ringing sound/boom sound, nor it transfers sound from the speaker components?

Anyone here auditioned other brands aluminium speakers ?

Last trip abroad I was fortunate to audition Magico speakers. They use Aluminium over MDF.

Wolf says that aluminum provides ideal stiffness and mass, and is relatively easy to effectively damp without storing mechanical energy, and is thus far superior to medium-density fiberboard (MDF). Reducing flex-induced resonances in MDF requires extensive internal bracingwhich can store mechanical energy of its own.
Quoted from Stereophile, Google and you will find more information.

They have an in-house manufacturing unit that makes the speaker enclosures. The design philosophy is to eliminate all noise from the speaker enclosure itself... something they believe other speakers add to the sound.

SQ was heavenly... sublime, accurate, silent are the words I would use to describe how they sounded. Very detailed. But very expensive speakers though... the top of the line Q7 costs $165,000.

i can vouch for sonus 2605...they are absolute value for the money...
Elangoas - r u forgetting that i already have marantz and sonus pairing?

Hi Vishug, I do remember that you are the only one who owns the Marantz Receiver + Sonus pairing here. I thought you had only the fronts (Sonus 2605) and not the entire HT Setup. Since i was not too sure, i refrained from using your name.

The Paradigm Studio and Sugnature series use Alumunium as well. Question is not of wood or Alumunium but of the overall SQ.

mpw

u can follow sonodyne in facebook...one of their sales and marketing person(forgot the name) always provides all latest infos..and answers ur question.

Abhishek Chowdhury - Manager, Sales & Marketing Sonodyne India. He is very active on Sonodyne facebook page, addressing all the queries about Sonodyne

Here is the facebook page link https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/sonodyneindia/

Alternateively you can try calling up 98308 55257.

Last trip abroad I was fortunate to audition Magico speakers. They use Aluminium over MDF.

Quoted from Stereophile, Google and you will find more information.

They have an in-house manufacturing unit that makes the speaker enclosures. The design philosophy is to eliminate all noise from the speaker enclosure itself... something they believe other speakers add to the sound.

SQ was heavenly... sublime, accurate, silent are the words I would use to describe how they sounded. Very detailed. But very expensive speakers though... the top of the line Q7 costs $165,000.

Thanx musicbee for sharing you experience. OMG $165,000 is close to 1 Crore Indian rupees :eek:hyeah: We could buy 2 - 3 flats easily:clapping: (Juz on the lighter side).

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back