Sonodyne DE 4370, 8 Channel power amplifier

elangoas

Hi All,

Acquired, Sonodyne 8 Channel power amplifier very recently for Rs 54,200/-.. I have a 5.4.2 set-up with Denon x 3300, which has 7.2 pre-outs.. Had been thinking of adding a multichannel power amplifier for sometime, but due to the cost didn't add new one. As soon as i enquired with Sondyne on the 8 Channel power amplifier, i was almost sold and it was already mine.. 50K and you get 8 channel of external amplification..

Specification (Specs), is one of the important criteria for product shortlist / selection.. Below image from product manual and maximum power rating from Sonodyne website..
DwGBV7h.jpg

jVXoFzc.jpg

8 Ohms - Continuous power of 60 watts when all the 8 channels are driven, and maximum power of 90 watts ..
4 Ohms - Continuous power of 90 watts when all the 8 channels are driven, and maximum power of 125 watts ..

Total power consumption of the power amplifier is 1,000 watts.. My Denon x 3300 7 channel AVR power consumption is 600 Watts ..

Given that most of us with 7.2 or more pre-outs, wouldn't be making use of all the 8 channels from power amplifier.. Either 3 channels (L-C-R) for external amplification or at best 5 channels (L-C-R-SL-SR).. In that scenario, the continuous power output would be more.. My guess, (i don't know technically) is that it should produce 100 watts continous at 8 ohms and 150 watts at 4 ohms, which i believe is more than sufficient for modest rooms..

Product packaging : I had ordered thru Volumate from Chennai. I personally collected the product.. Neatly packed.. If you have unpacked the AVR, you would be aware that they use thermocol. In a similar fashion, they had used styrofoam..
BwCRdu5.jpg

Look & Feel is very good, matches with my black colour AVR..
pucf2pi.jpg

HIZuVCm.jpg

External Build Quality is excellent IMO, and i have no complaints there.. Few product images for reference..
fyNp3j3.jpg

nfuQpk7.jpg

fkpL4Kf.jpg
No fifth feet like Yamaha Aventage AVR :p

Internals : I have no idea on what it is, but i will leave it to the more informed who can interpret and comment on it..
mAm2VaT.jpg

pLOLOuu.jpg

L1X7Ldu.jpg

Connectivity : It has 8 pre-amplifier inputs (XLR and RCA), a 12V trigger input to connect to pre-amp and speaker outputs.. I would be using the RCA to connect to Denon x 3300 for now..
uDeuoDO.jpg

Am yet to hook up the power amplifier with Denon AVR.. Intend to use only 5 channels of external amplification.. AVR will power the pair of heights.. All my speakers are from Taga Harmony Platinum series, LCR 60SL, 6 Ohms rated..

All in all, very happy to have got this, importantly in my budget of 50K..

Waiting for electrician to mount a new dedicated plug for this power amplifier.. Should the power draw be from a 16 Amps power socket?.. I read somewhere in Audioholics article that it is better to connect to 16 Amps plug..

Will keep updating the experience from time to time..

Last edited:
A word on (Harwin) Volumate, Chennai - Dealer for Sonodyne products.. He has a very good attitude, flexible and updated me promptly from time to time on the product shipping till the time i picked it up personally.. Since i stay 45 kms away from Chennai, i requested his staff be present in his office as early as 9 AM, so that i can beat the peak hour traffic collect the amplifier and return home, for which he duly obliged.. Thumbs up..

A word on (Harwin) Volumate, Chennai - Dealer for Sonodyne products.. He has a very good attitude, flexible and updated me promptly from time to time on the product shipping till the time i picked it up personally.. Since i stay 45 kms away from Chennai, i requested his staff be present in his office as early as 9 AM, so that i can beat the peak hour traffic collect the amplifier and return home, for which he duly obliged.. Thumbs up..
Had you short listed other power amps like Norge or Crown and then decided on the Sonodyne ? The amp looks neatly finished.

Had you short listed other power amps like Norge or Crown and then decided on the Sonodyne ?

My budget for power amplifier was only 50K.. Didn't want to spend any more than that..

Didn't consider the Norge, as they had two channel power amplifier long back.. Not sure if they are still aval..

Crown - Yes i did consider XLS 1502 (2 Channel), but that is only 2 channels and cost 25K.. Even if i had got 2 x Crown XLS 1502, it would get me to 50K.. But i only get 4 channels of amplification..

Marantz - MM7055 (5 Channel) i had considered, but dropped due to cost..

I had suggestions for Emotiva too, Bas X A 700 ( 7 Channel) but it wasn't my choice as it is way over my budget.. Must be 85K something..

Am not too greedy to have more external power amplifier channels, but it gives greater flexibility to change speaker layout.. More handy..

Sonodyne listed this power amplifier on the facebook page, sometime last year.. From then on, had an eye on the product and the price..

The amp looks neatly finished.

Yes..It looks solid in flesh..

Hi All,

Acquired, Sonodyne 8 Channel power amplifier very recently for Rs 54,200/-.. I have a 5.4.2 set-up with Denon x 3300, which has 7.2 pre-outs.. Had been thinking of adding a multichannel power amplifier for sometime, but due to the cost didn't add new one. As soon as i enquired with Sondyne on the 8 Channel power amplifier, i was almost sold and it was already mine.. 50K and you get 8 channel of external amplification..

Specification (Specs), is one of the important criteria for product shortlist / selection.. Below image from product manual and maximum power rating from Sonodyne website..
DwGBV7h.jpg

jVXoFzc.jpg

8 Ohms - Continuous power of 60 watts when all the 8 channels are driven, and maximum power of 90 watts ..
4 Ohms - Continuous power of 90 watts when all the 8 channels are driven, and maximum power of 125 watts ..

Total power consumption of the power amplifier is 1,000 watts.. My Denon x 3300 7 channel AVR power consumption is 600 Watts ..

Given that most of us with 7.2 or more pre-outs, wouldn't be making use of all the 8 channels from power amplifier.. Either 3 channels (L-C-R) for external amplification or at best 5 channels (L-C-R-SL-SR).. In that scenario, the continuous power output would be more.. My guess, (i don't know technically) is that it should produce 100 watts continous at 8 ohms and 150 watts at 4 ohms, which i believe is more than sufficient for modest rooms..

Product packaging : I had ordered thru Volumate from Chennai. I personally collected the product.. Neatly packed.. If you have unpacked the AVR, you would be aware that they use thermocol. In a similar fashion, they had used styrofoam..
BwCRdu5.jpg

Look & Feel is very good, matches with my black colour AVR..
pucf2pi.jpg

HIZuVCm.jpg

External Build Quality is excellent IMO, and i have no complaints there.. Few product images for reference..
fyNp3j3.jpg

nfuQpk7.jpg

fkpL4Kf.jpg
No fifth feet like Yamaha Aventage AVR :p

Internals : I have no idea on what it is, but i will leave it to the more informed who can interpret and comment on it..
mAm2VaT.jpg

pLOLOuu.jpg

L1X7Ldu.jpg

Connectivity : It has 8 pre-amplifier inputs (XLR and RCA), a 12V trigger input to connect to pre-amp and speaker outputs.. I would be using the RCA to connect to Denon x 3300 for now..
uDeuoDO.jpg

Am yet to hook up the power amplifier with Denon AVR.. Intend to use only 5 channels of external amplification.. AVR will power the pair of heights.. All my speakers are from Taga Harmony Platinum series, LCR 60SL, 6 Ohms rated..

All in all, very happy to have got this, importantly in my budget of 50K..

Waiting for electrician to mount a new dedicated plug for this power amplifier.. Should the power draw be from a 16 Amps power socket?.. I read somewhere in Audioholics article that it is better to connect to 16 Amps plug..

Will keep updating the experience from time to time..
Congrats. Awaiting a detailed review on the performance

Is it bridgable? That would be awesome.

Sadly, nope.. If it had the option to bridge at-least 6 channels to 3, then it would make a fantastic 5 channel power amp.. Anyuser can power the L-C-R with bridged channels and the remaining 2 channels for surrounds or other speaker..

Did you get this as part of the combo deal you had earlier mentioned or was this a standalone purchase independent of the pre?

Did you get this as part of the combo deal you had earlier mentioned or was this a standalone purchase independent of the pre?

Combo deal was for the Pre-amp..If both Pre & Power amp were bought together, they were ready to offer for a combined price of 85K something..Making a 7.1 pre-amplifer just 30K..

This was a standalone deal for power amplifier..

I just wish Sonodyne makes an Atmos capable pre-amplifer and offers combo deal..Would grab it without a thought..

Congratulations Elangoji . Expecting your review soon on this. As one FM mentioned ,it would have been a great option if it is was bridgeable.

Thank you.. Sure will share my experience..If I have to connect Poweramp, then I need to run Audyssey again.. Will do it over this weekend..

Yes, bridgeable channels would have made this a fantastic device..More flexibility to the user..

Congrats on the Sonodyne. The build looks solid.

I wanted to know if one can use good stereo amps to power the front speakers through pre-outs? Or going with power amplifiers is the only way? FMs to pls enlighten me on this :)

Crown - Yes i did consider XLS 1502 (2 Channel), but that is only 2 channels and cost 25K.. Even if i had got 2 x Crown XLS 1502, it would get me to 50K.. But i only get 4 channels of amplification..
Is this Indian price? If so, can you please share the store details?

I just wish Sonodyne makes an Atmos capable pre-amplifer and offers combo deal..Would grab it without a thought..
Sonodyne did have a Home Theater preamp, not sure if it was atmos capable or not but no reason for them to not to produce a newer updated model.

Congratulations on the purchase btw, 50K is an almost unbelievable price for a 8 channel amplifier, hope it sounds good. It may not sound outstanding at that price but should sound quite good.

I wanted to know if one can use good stereo amps to power the front speakers through pre-outs? Or going with power amplifiers is the only way? FMs to pls enlighten me on this :)
If you have a Stereo amp with preouts, you can connect a power amplifier to it to beef up the watts.
Is this Indian price? If so, can you please share the store details?
You can look at Vardhaman electronics, where i got mine from. There are others who got it for cheaper.

http://vmt.in/switch-model-amplifier/46-xls-1502.html

I have personally not tried it. Unless you can bypass the preamp section, it might give some hotch potch sound. Not sure though as i have not tried it.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back