Sonodyne SiA 208R with Wharfedale 10.1

pratapaditya

Hi,

Thanks to some awesome guidance from pratim-da, i finally made my purchase of a set of Wharfedale 10.1s! Auditioning with my all-time favourite CD of MARASIM ( Jagjit-Gulzar), I was blown away by the clarity ( don't knw if that's the right technical term ) of this speaker. As a result, I blew more than half of my budget into buying them.

Now I am left with less than the other half, that being my budget for buying the amplifier. The only amp that fitted in that budget was the Sonodyne SiA 208R. I have cajoled the Demonstrator in allowing me to test it with my speaker. However, I don't feel exactly energetic in tugging the heavy speakers all the way to the Sonodyne Listening Room.

So here are the questions.
1.Does anybody have any experience regarding if that particular amp will go well with my speakers?
2. Can i just go and buy them without testing with the speakers?
3. Are there any other good amps available in Kolkata within 12000?

I need to complete the system fast as it is intended to be a birthday gift for my wife......so, please help me fast! :)

but its always suggested to audition the amp and speakers... The place where u auditioned Wharfs 10.1 might be having some different amp connected to the 10.1 s which is y u were ""blown away by the clarity "". The samemay not or may give out the same blown away effect with the particular Sonodyne... So its better u carry yr speakers to the sonodyne showroom and experience dem.. other suggested amps are
1.Norge 2060 and higher series
2. Denon PMA-510AE..

Hope it helps.. :)

Thanks for the response Hemant.

I auditioned the Wharfedales on a CA 550A...so will definitely take my speakers to test with the SiA 208R ....but they are so heavy! :eek:

I've heard about the Norge, but that I have to order from Mumbai...no testing options!

What's the price of the Denon PMA-510AE?

Hi Pratap,
Go for any Marantz amp. They are excellent for bengali musical taste. I have Marantz PM7001. It is a superb amp. but unfortunately discontinued now. I use the amp with Monitor Audio RS1 and Dynaudio Audience 52 speakers. My recommendation of amps are as following:
PM8003
PM7004
PM6003
PM5004
PM8003 is costliest and PM5004 cheapest.
Also your wife will be very very happy with the look of the amp.
Marantz and Wharfedale match very well too.
But you must listen your speaker with the particular amp before purchase.
Good luck,
Partho.

Hi Pratap,
Go for any Marantz amp. They are excellent for bengali musical taste. I have Marantz PM7001. It is a superb amp. but unfortunately discontinued now. I use the amp with Monitor Audio RS1 and Dynaudio Audience 52 speakers. My recommendation of amps are as following:
PM8003
PM7004
PM6003
PM5004
PM8003 is costliest and PM5004 cheapest.
Also your wife will be very very happy with the look of the amp.
Marantz and Wharfedale match very well too.
But you must listen your speaker with the particular amp before purchase.
Good luck,
Partho.

...The only amp that fitted in that budget was the Sonodyne SiA 208R. I have cajoled the Demonstrator in allowing me to test it with my speaker. However, I don't feel exactly energetic in tugging the heavy speakers all the way to the Sonodyne Listening Room.

So here are the questions.
1.Does anybody have any experience regarding if that particular amp will go well with my speakers?
2. Can i just go and buy them without testing with the speakers?
3. Are there any other good amps available in Kolkata within 12000?

I think he has budgetary considerations, hence the Sonodyne amp. Sadly he doesn't have much choice other than the Norge. Even the Denon will break his budget at, at least, 17 odd K.

Last edited:
KDM is right, sadly. 13k is my absolute ultimate limit! Hence the Sonodyne. Would have loved to get another amp within that price range.

How much is the chepaest Marantz? Who sells Marantz amps in Kolkata?

KDM is right, sadly. 13k is my absolute ultimate limit! Hence the Sonodyne. Would have loved to get another amp within that price range.

Around the same as the cheapest Denon (17K), maybe a bit more. SRS Traders used to sell Marantz amps in Kolkata. I am very doubtful about that guy and service, though.

Have you given any thought to getting the amp from Fancy Market?

I don't know the current price of the Cambridge Audio 340A but that amp may just be in your price range. It is an excellent budget performer. Since you've liked the 10.1s when played with a CA 540, you may like the 340 combination as well. Or look around for a demo or used piece.

I suggest you increase your budget slightly more (by 2-3K) and you may find the right amp for your needs. If you absolutely can't, maybe waiting for a good used piece could be the answer. Perhaps you can give your wife something else for her birthday ? Just some suggestions.

Thanks KDM and Ajinkya for your kind response.

I'll go amp-hunting this evening again, and see if i can get the marantz anywhere.

My wife had been to the audition with me, Ajinkya, and it was she who preferred the 10.1 to the 9.1. So unless I want to get hit on the head with a broom or something, 'something else' is out of the question.:D

CA340 is an excellent suggestion too. SKS didn't have the 340. I'l loook for it elsewhere today. Stretching the budget by 2-3k can of course be done.

If u increase yr budget by 3-4k u might get the Marantz 5004 or 5003 or Denon 510.
I din mention Marantz because of d budget u mentioned... and YES ! Marantz and Wharfs combo r really good...

BassTreble at Coimbatore (owner name Mr. Dev) sells Marantz amp at very attractive price. I had a few interaction with him and he is a truely nice man in behaviour. He can even ship the amp safely to you if you wish. But I donot know his aftersale service at all. SKS quotes too too high price. Go for some other dealer for Marantz in Kolkata.
I feel Marantz is far far good looking, musical and detailed amp than Denon / NAD/Sonodyne. So if it doesnot affect your budget too much, add a few thousands and go for Marantz.
If your budget is less go for Norge 2060 @ Rs.8500. It is also as good as Sonodyne and also affordable.
Also keep some amount for a budget CD player. It is an absolute necessity for good music play.
Regards.

CA340 is an excellent suggestion too. SKS didn't have the 340. I'l loook for it elsewhere today. Stretching the budget by 2-3k can of course be done.

If you can stretch your budget by 2-3K then the CA and the Denon might be within reach, though much will depend on your bargaining powers. :)

If your budget is less go for Norge 2060 @ Rs.8500. It is also as good as Sonodyne and also affordable.

The Sonodyne has a better build/finish than the Norge and comes with a remote control, it's worth the extra money for that, IMO.

I feel Marantz is far far good looking, musical and detailed amp than Denon / NAD/Sonodyne. So if it doesnot affect your budget too much, add a few thousands and go for Marantz.

I would also advise Marantz but it's not that easy to get in Kolkata. SRS is too expensive and I have big doubts about his after sales service. Finally, you might consider Yamaha, but test it out before buying.

Finally, a CD player is a must when using a two channel amp. I'd advise you to use upgrade to a CD player as soon as possible, when funds permit you to do so.

Cannot thank you enough,guys!

Here's my day's report for you:

Went on a Amp-hunting tour through Kolkata on a cruel sultry day! No wonder my wife called me crazy twice today, and I fear once was in full earnest.:D

Anyway, first stop : Digital Acoustics beside Maddox Square! Very impressive showroom size covering an entire floor of an old house. Only two amps ready for a demo, and since the NAD amp was connected to a tower, had a taste of the Yamaha A-S700 on a Tannoy BS with my favourite music : MARASIM ( Jagjit-Gulzar ) and Girija Devi-Amjad Ali Khan. Bass seemed a bit too much at flat setting, but was good otherwise. Quoted price : 35K. ( Wayyy too high for me!) Also in stock was the A-S300 at 16,500. The guys very graciously offered to demo both at my home.

Had to change 3 public vehicles to get to next stop: Promises opposite Kalamandir on Shakespeare Sarani. The sales rep was a bit clueless. On show were Onkyo and NAD DVD and CD receivers, not exactly amps. Again, the ones with decent power were priced at 25k and 29k. I'm defeated again! :(

Braved the sun and walked to Japonica on Sarat Bose Road, where I expected to see Yamaha amplifiers. Very knowledgeable people, I must admit. Also, they shared my love for Jagjit Singh.Sadly, again just one amplifier available : TEAC AG-980, connected to Paradigm Bookshelfs. Some reluctance toward showing other amps. Very nice, had a phono input, but could have done without the inbuilt Tuner. Price quoted : 20k, and accepted request for audition with my own speakers.

I'll split up the day's report and my own musings.
Continued....

The weather got the better of me, and I returned to pavilion for the day.

So here is what I think of my position:

Couldn't find Marantz. Only one Yamaha ( not heard ) seems closer to my budget. TEAC is good, but again, out of budget. Had a quote for the CA550A from SKS, but that was above 20k too.

Back almost to Square One. Enlightened, though.

Could wait for a used or demo piece, but certainly not the thing to give to your missus.

Options come down to Norge and Sonodyne Again.

Then again, I'm all for Sourav and Bipasha over Sachin and Kareena any day.:lol:

Had a little bit of confusion regarding Speaker Impedance and Amp power. Cleared ably by Pratim-da once again.
Seems the 4-8 ohm 208 R will have no probs with my 6 ohm Wharfedale.

Till I save up again for a better amp, Sonodyne it is going to be.

Will pick it up tomorrow. Wish me luck!:eek:

Again, millions of tonnes of thanks to all you guys:clapping: : KDM, Partho, Hemant, Ajinkya.

The weather got the better of me, and I returned to pavilion for the day.

So here is what I think of my position:

Couldn't find Marantz. Only one Yamaha ( not heard ) seems closer to my budget. TEAC is good, but again, out of budget. Had a quote for the CA550A from SKS, but that was above 20k too.

Back almost to Square One. Enlightened, though.

Could wait for a used or demo piece, but certainly not the thing to give to your missus.

Options come down to Norge and Sonodyne Again.

Then again, I'm all for Sourav and Bipasha over Sachin and Kareena any day.:lol:

Had a little bit of confusion regarding Speaker Impedance and Amp power. Cleared ably by Pratim-da once again.
Seems the 4-8 ohm 208 R will have no probs with my 6 ohm Wharfedale.

Till I save up again for a better amp, Sonodyne it is going to be.

Will pick it up tomorrow. Wish me luck!:eek:

Again, millions of tonnes of thanks to all you guys:clapping: : KDM, Partho, Hemant, Ajinkya.

Before you pick up the Sonodyne, go to the Yamaha showroom in Karaya Road, Park Circus and see if they have anything within your budget there. Test any amp with your speakers before you buy. :)

Also try the JBL showroom, will post address later in this post. They have 3 stereo A/V receivers made by Harmon/Kardon HK3390, HK3490 and HK990. These are 2 channel amps with built in AM/FM tuners.

JBL Entertainment Lounge

B5A, Forum Courtyard, 10/3 Lala Lajpatrai Sarani, Elgin Road Kolkatta- 700 020

(033) 40716025

Try here as well, perhaps you'll find something within your budget which is of decent quality.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back