Sonodyne SRT 4200, 4 Channel power amplifier

elangoas

Hi All,

Been considering an external amplifier for powering my 4 x 12 inch DIY sealed subs, thought at-present powered by Parasound HCA2205 A, 5 channel multi-channel amplifier..

Subwoofer : This is the specs of the subwoofer driver that i use - https://www.iwaispeakers.com/Subwoofer/12inc_4e_200W/ 4 Ohms

Also thought of Crown XLS 1502, but that is only 2 channel amplifier and i would need 2 of them.. Just to save space in living room, i am thinking to opt for a single box amplifier that can power 4 subwoofer's.. Hence Sonodyne SRT 4200

Here are the detailed specs of Sonodyne SRT 4200 - http://sonodyne.com/sonodyne-residential/sonodyne-loudspeakers/srt-series/srt-4200.html

AVR : Denon x 3300 (RCA sub pre-outs)

This amplifier has gain control for each channel and XLR inputs..
srt-4200.jpg

So i guess would need RCA to XLR cables to connect between AVR (RCA sub -pre-out) this power amplifier..
srt-4200-2.jpg

There seems to be 8 XLR inputs, which is slightly confusing.. Anyone aware why would there be 8 XLR inputs, when the amplifier is only 4 channel capable?..

Hi All,

Been considering an external amplifier for powering my 4 x 12 inch DIY sealed subs, thought at-present powered by Parasound HCA2205 A, 5 channel multi-channel amplifier..

Subwoofer : This is the specs of the subwoofer driver that i use - https://www.iwaispeakers.com/Subwoofer/12inc_4e_200W/ 4 Ohms

Also thought of Crown XLS 1502, but that is only 2 channel amplifier and i would need 2 of them.. Just to save space in living room, i am thinking to opt for a single box amplifier that can power 4 subwoofer's.. Hence Sonodyne SRT 4200

Here are the detailed specs of Sonodyne SRT 4200 - http://sonodyne.com/sonodyne-residential/sonodyne-loudspeakers/srt-series/srt-4200.html

AVR : Denon x 3300 (RCA sub pre-outs)

This amplifier has gain control for each channel and XLR inputs..
srt-4200.jpg

So i guess would need RCA to XLR cables to connect between AVR (RCA sub -pre-out) this power amplifier..
srt-4200-2.jpg

There seems to be 8 XLR inputs, which is slightly confusing.. Anyone aware why would there be 8 XLR inputs, when the amplifier is only 4 channel capable?..
It seems to be simple Male and Female type XLR pin connector ,based on the XLR cable u can choose either one per channel...

I think it is for bridging the output...as there isn't any knob or switch to allow bridging. Manual will be able to confirm this...it's my guess...
Also while looking for RCA to XLR cable, do check that whether to go for RCA to XLR male or RCA to XLR female. Generally on the amp side it is XLR female. So if the XLR female on the sonodyne is for input and XLR male is for bridge only, then you need to consider RCA to XLR male cable. If sonodyne amps allow input on either port, then you can get any RCA to XLR cable. Either email from sonodyne or manual will be able to confirm this.
Cheers
Siju

INPUTS - ANALOG4 x XLR with Link (also XLR)
From Sonodyne Specifications:

Right.. Didn't pay attention to the specs wit the word"Link".. Also got the manual from Sonodyne where one of the XLR inputs were mentioned as "loop"..

It seems to be simple Male and Female type XLR pin connector ,based on the XLR cable u can choose either one per channel...

Spoke to Sonodyne Technical tam, explained the connectivity between AVR (RCA) and power amplifier (XLR).. They confirmed that it is a "loop" connection.. Either i can use 4 x RCA to XLR cables and connect between AVR and power amp (or) use only one input from AVR sub pre-out (RCA) using single RCA -> XLR cable and copy that from each channel XLR inputs (male) and connect it to adjacent XLR inputs (female)..

I think it is for bridging the output...as there isn't any knob or switch to allow bridging. Manual will be able to confirm this...it's my guess...Also while looking for RCA to XLR cable, do check that whether to go for RCA to XLR male or RCA to XLR female. Generally on the amp side it is XLR female. So if the XLR female on the sonodyne is for input and XLR male is for bridge only, then you need to consider RCA to XLR male cable. If sonodyne amps allow input on either port, then you can get any RCA to XLR cable. Either email from sonodyne or manual will be able to confirm this.

Thanks.. But the amplifier bridging ability is provided at the bottom of the amplifier per manual.. THe XLR inputs were to duplicate (or) copy the signal from adjacent channel output.. Wasn't aware of such features, probably more useful in PA (or) custom installations (SRT series)..

Interesting....I too wasn't aware of such function...
Since it has individual gain control, does it has a recommended setting for ht use....what is the price of this amp?

Interesting....I too wasn't aware of such function...

Right.. They also said using this feature, we can daisy chain amplifiers..

Since it has individual gain control, does it has a recommended setting for ht use....what is the price of this amp?

Am not very sure on the HT use, but i suppose it can be used for HT as well.. I saw that it was 4 channel amp with gain control and XLR, so thought to get one, using RCA to XLR connectivity..

57K for me, as i had earlier bought few Sonodyne power amps from them earlier..

Right.. They also said using this feature, we can daisy chain amplifiers..

Am not very sure on the HT use, but i suppose it can be used for HT as well.. I saw that it was 4 channel amp with gain control and XLR, so thought to get one, using RCA to XLR connectivity..

57K for me, as i had earlier bought few Sonodyne power amps from them earlier..
Yes. Some power amps have loop out capability.
Parasound has these on many models.
Very useful for biamping, especially with gain control.
Cheers,
Raghu

Go with mono blocks for subs.
Or if buying this, use two in bridged mode.

Lots of Class D high power mono boards now available to power subs at low prices.

I would not recommend this amp for your purpose.

@elangoas
Check with Sonodyne if the amp has gain control.
The documentation says level control. It may be input level control.

Based on the specs of the IWAI driver, you may need a bit more muscle behind it.
If space and budget permit, Crown may be a better option.

If sourcing from US is an option, take a look at this too (more expensive).
It has a sub-woofer option, can power up to 2 subs (4 ohms) with 600W each channel.
Has an 80 Hz LPF in sub-woofer mode.

Cheers,
Raghu

The documentation says level control. It may be input level control.
It is for input sensitivity city matching usually found in all PA amps and also all car audio amps as souce/preamp output can vary from 0.5 vokts to 8 vokts.
Many confuse it as some kind of volume control and end up over driving the amp.

Go with mono blocks for subs. Or if buying this, use two in bridged mode. Lots of Class D high power mono boards now available to power subs at low prices.

Hardly any space in the living room to accommodate mono blocks.. Thought DIY solution sounds nice, i just don't know how much space it would occupy..

I would not recommend this amp for your purpose.

Per the manual which i received from Sonodyne, it stated it is capable of 200 Watts at 4 Ohms, all channels driven.. The Parasound HCA 2205-A which am using at present is also rated at almost same power..

Do you feel it would be under-powered?.. :oops: Sonodyne receommends this amplifier for their own SRT subwoofer range (Shallow) ones..

Thanks for the pointers @raghupb

Yeah, per the manual which i received, the front panel has 4 induvidual knobs, which indicates gain.. So i suppose this is gain control..

Based on the specs of the IWAI driver, you may need a bit more muscle behind it.
If space and budget permit, Crown may be a better option.

Space is the real concern.. I don't mind dual Crown XLS 1502.. But i need to stack them one above the other.. Already have AVR + dual power-amps.. Hard to squeeze in when they are stacked.. Hence thought of one box solution to control all 4 subs from it..

If sourcing from US is an option, take a look at this too (more expensive). Model ZoneMaster 2350 « Parasound It has a sub-woofer option, can power up to 2 subs (4 ohms) with 600W each channel. Has an 80 Hz LPF in sub-woofer mode.

Nope.. Not getting it from US.. Just wanted to source something locally..

Hardly any space in the living room to accommodate mono blocks..
Mono blocks need not be big at all. Just check with designers like Aniket if they can.build you a 1-box solution to drive 4 subs.
Crown is a very good option, also look at Ahuja amps. They will have Powerfull amps at affordable prices. Subs will continuously need loads of dynamic power demands, especially with movies, which mean capability of handling low impedance and short term high power requirements. Higher THD values may not have much effect, so look at a little higher power

Mono blocks need not be big at all. Just check with designers like Aniket if they can.build you a 1-box solution to drive 4 subs.

Thanks @Kannan .. Earlier Vimal, local FM had also suggested me this.. I thought abt this, but due to my apprehension abt DIY electronics for subwoofer kept me away from it.. It is by no means being disrespectful to Aniket DIY capabilities, i have heard a lot of good things abt him from forum members..

Crown is a very good option, also look at Ahuja amps. They will have Powerfull amps at affordable prices.

I understand that Crown would be very good choice.. Didn't consider Ahuja, but will check them.. If you had spotted a Ahuja model and is good, please share the model, i will check aval & pricing.. I will consider this for my brother as he has some space to accommodate amplifiers..

Subs will continuously need loads of dynamic power demands, especially with movies, which mean capability of handling low impedance and short term high power requirements. Higher THD values may not have much effect, so look at a little higher power

What have you highlighted is absolutely true and better with higher power..

I have 4 subs in the room.. Doubling the drivers in the room is said to give about 3dB headroom.. For 3 additional drivers, i approximately have 9dB of headroom even before amplification.. So i was of the belief that since i have more subs, the demand from each subs becomes half (or) even less..

Just to give you my current scenario, the Parasound HCA 2205A which i use for driving the subs also has gain control for each channel.. It is approx set to 60% gain on each channel and it easily fills my small room with solid bass.. Even in demanding scenes, i haven't seen them giving up.. This gave me some belief that if we have more subs, you could settle for slightly lesser power amp..

I have almost zeroed on Sonodyne SRT 4200, only because it is one boxed solution..

Sincere thanks to Harwin of Volumate, Chennai (Dealer for Sonodyne Chennai) who helped me in getting a replacement for a defective SRT4200..

Update : Got the Sonodyne SRT 4200 amplifier..

WB2MThR.jpg

Some pics of the amplifier.. Very well packed..

Dde6erI.jpg

FVdyFf5.jpg

The amplifier looks very tiny and has small diemnsions for a 4 channel amplifier.. Just by the looks i had a doubt, but the weight is plenty.. Around 18 Kgs..

The amplifier has individual gain control, with a nice stepped volume control feel.. Makes a nice click when you rotate it..

WB2MThR.jpg

The amp is rated at 200 watts at 4 Ohms, all 4 channels driven.. There is also an option to bridge the outputs.. I wouldn't be using the bridge capacity as i would be driving all the 4 passive DIY sealed subs with this amplifier..

T8trOti.jpg

The amplifier has only XLR inputs.. So got the MX RCA to XLR cable..

aKjdJo8.jpg

Hooked up the amplifier to the 4 passive subwoofers.. (Single RCA to Dual RCA Adaptor from MX on each of the AVR's sub pre-out) + ( RCA to XLR cable from each of the RCA output on the MX adaptor)..

ooeDLem.jpg

With gain control on the 4 channel amplifier set to roughly 60 ~ 65% for each of the channel, played some movies and it drives the subs ( 4 Ohms) just fine.. Yet to calibrate with Audyssey.. Will do in the coming week and share the feedback..

Thanks.. Yes.. Have planned to get minis DSP sooner thru a friend from US.. For now, will be managing with XT32 on the AVR, as each pair of sub has identical distance from Primary listening position..

Great...that would be just the icing on cake...

Back