Sonodyne's new integrated amplifier DSA 320

Hmm...built in DAC as well. Even an audition would not reveal all as it can only be auditioned with Sonodyne speakers and in a less-than-optimal environment at their stores.
Will look to audition none the less however.

Looks like there are a bunch of new Home audio products from Sonodyne...

Addition of DAC is good in stereo amplifier, but i think a USB port to play the digital files would have made it even a better choice....

Regarding distortion. The 0.1% can mean many things. It could be distortion at the onset of clipping ( meaning at full output) .
The distortion figure by itself will not tell you how the amp sounds.
Consider that the much loved SE tube amps often have a few percent as distortion figures . It doesn't make them sound bad and many people love them.
It's a good idea to never look at distortion figures as it doesn't really tell you anything about the sound. Better just listen to the system first and then come to one's own conclusions. That way you will not skip auditioning something that might be really be good but 'supposedly' looked inferior due to printed specs. You might remember that Jap amps of the 80's with vanishing distortion figures consistently sounded poorer than competing European designs !

In today's world with the number of options available it might be hard for a company to make something bad . It may not be great but certainly should be decent for it's price. You can also 'manufacture' stuff without much in house design ! Just some minimalistic work will be enough. It's actually a good idea. So many good designs are available off the shelf.
However for those who build equipment for the love of it, they would design things by themselves as also those who want to cater to a particular segment of consumers . Low end equipment is very much better today than it was several years ago. Check them out. Some could be gems !;)

Consider that the much loved SE tube amps often have a few percent as distortion figures . It doesn't make them sound bad and many people love them.

That is even order harmonics added as distortion and the nature's law of Physics rule here. Our ears are built for liking even order harmonic distortion. On the other hand odd-order harmonics are usual unpleasant to ears and SS amps are infamous for adding those in the output.

You might remember that Jap amps of the 80's with vanishing distortion figures consistently sounded poorer than competing European designs !

I remember that. Just check my previous post where I mentioned that, Amp with great specs but sounding inferior is all round but amp with inferior specs sounding great, I doubt. :)
As I said, I doubt. I would be glad to learn the otherwise.

Sonodyne has recently launched, integrated amplifier DSA 320,

SONODYNE

Any initial feedback form forum members?

Thanks,
--------------------------------------------------------------------
I have received clarification from Sonodyne, they are using 'PCM 1789' chip on DSA 320.

This is the Spec sheet of Burr-Brown PCM- 1789 chip

http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/pcm1789.pdf

Dear forum members, please, express your opinion on Burr-Brown PCM- 1789 chip.

Last edited:
More than the onboard DAC I am more interested in the amplifier performance. For the price paid Sonodyne amplifiers are entry-level only. I have mentioned in other threads they are good to start the journey but as you listen more equipment you realize where Sonodynes are lacking.
If one can get a good used amplifier from reliable sources then better to be with Marantz / CA.

What will this model retail on? I won't mind paying a little extra to get a more refined performance.

It seems like a a lightweight amp for 125 Watts per channel power rating. Is it a digital amp ?

I remember having seen the same at the What HIFI show in Gurgaon, the amp was partnering the new Avants T1s

Back