Sony 55X8500D vs Samsung 55KU6470 vs LG UH85

karan382

Hello everyone,

Though I had posted a different thread on requesting help in choosing a 55 - 58 inch LED tv and received some great help there, but this thread is more dedicated to further advise in choosing between these shortlisted models - Sony 55X8500D vs Samsung 55KU6470 vs LG UH85 (55).

The LED is requirement is for my bedroom with a viewing distance of approx 16 - 17 feet. I would like to keep the selection criterion simple here - picture quality in simplistic terms and smart functionality. When compared side by side at Croma - I felt that the PQ of Samsung was best (natural colours that can be viewed for long); Sony followed (though a little too bright colours) and then LG (dull colours). When I had first started my research on these LEDs Samsung was at the bottom of my list (I did not even bother to look at them at the stores) as I have not had the best experience with Samsung products in the past. But a few friends swore by Samsung LEDs and on checking them out I am surprisingly pleased.

Sony always stands out as a brand and appeals the most at first go. But somehow I felt that its colours are too bright and unreal and will not be that comfortable in the long term. I understand that this model has an IPS display (borrowed from LG as the Sales guy mentioned !) which is supposed to be an advantage over Samsung.

Though I currently have a 5 year old LG 47" 3D LED, but the UH85 somehow disappointed me. The sales person swore that the LG is the best performing of the lot, but I felt the colours to be too dull (boarder line whitish). Though out of experience I think that the 3D viewing of the LG is the best (the active 3D of Samsung/Sony is bad), but the colours when compared to the Samsung and Sony were a let down.

From a picture up-scaling functionality (SD to higher quality) I undersatnd that Sony may be the best ?

As a smart tv functionality I think Sony may be best as it is on an Android platform and may have better long terms updates. I am not sure about the platforms of Samsung and LG ?

The price points of all 3 TVs are around the same benchmark though with Samsung and LG I am being offered a free sound bar as well.

Besides the above 3 models I was very keen on the Panasonic CX/DX 4K series but the PQ of the Panasonic in front of the Samsung, Sony and even LG was unimpressive to say the least. Also the after sales stories of the Panasonic are not very comforting. I was also getting an extremely sweet corp deal on the Sony KDL 50W950D (Triluminous) but I think 50 inch will not do justice to the viewing distance ?

Looking forward to all the advise here. :signthankspin:

You may want to check out LG UH85 in a different store to find out if the colors are still dull compared to Samsung & Sony models you mentioned. Worth a re-visit.
LGs are good and their after sales support is not matched.

Hi everyone,
Just signed in today, so would like to congratulate the members for the information shared here. Just read the tread about the 43 inch Samsung vs Sony vs lg....very informative!
Coming back to this tread....Karan, we have a lot in common. I too was deciding between the 55 inch Samsung ku6470 and Sony X8500D. Lg I thought was not very good when it comes to the blacks. My family swears on Sony, but I am tilting towards Samsung after I saw this product(Samsung ku6470). Again this is for my bedroom, distance 16-17 feet!
Will be going to Croma today to check it out. Best price around 146000/- They too are offering the free sound bar.
Which product is more durable Sony or Samsung? Has anyone had a bad experience with Samsung.
Looking forward to all the advise here. Will keep you guys updated.
Thanks again!

You may want to check out LG UH85 in a different store to find out if the colors are still dull compared to Samsung & Sony models you mentioned. Worth a re-visit.
LGs are good and their after sales support is not matched.

Thanks for the suggestions. I had another look at the LG UH85 but it seemed to unimpressive in front of the Samsung & Sony. After much deliberation I finally purchased the Samsung KU6470 (55) and also got a Samsung 2.1 sound bar + witness sub woofer along with it as part of company scheme. It may not be the most hi tech sound bar but I thought it produced decent sound. I have an option of returning it for some cash back and I can upgrade to the Bose Solo 5 (which I am honestly not sure whether it is worth the x3 times cost).

I have asked for delivery of the LED next week and will let you know all about my experience then.

Thanks

congratulations, the only gripe about samsung is long time reliability. I had two die on me, and a couple of friends had another few die on them. We don't even think about samsung in our group any more. The color reproduction might be the best per your requirement, but i would rather have peace of mind then keep thinking this is gonna die any day.

What is the warranty you got for it, try to get an extended warranty for as long as possible.

congratulations, the only gripe about samsung is long time reliability. I had two die on me, and a couple of friends had another few die on them. We don't even think about samsung in our group any more. The color reproduction might be the best per your requirement, but i would rather have peace of mind then keep thinking this is gonna die any day.

What is the warranty you got for it, try to get an extended warranty for as long as possible.

It comes with a 2 year warranty. I plan to buy an additional 2 year from Samsung/Third Party. I have always been a Sony person but after speaking to my 'reliable contacts at the right levels' in both Sony & Samsung - I was advised by both sides that Sony panels are not what they use to be (Sony has now been getting their panels from China market) and panel to panel Samsung is a notch better. Of course in terms of after sales - Sony will be better. It is a gamble that I have taken.

Now I am in process of deciding upon the sound bar - Bose Solo 5 or to stick the free Samsung sound bar & sub woofer. :confused:

Congratulations on your purchase. Now its time to sit back, relax and enjoy :)
Take an demo of both Bose Solo 5 and Samsung Sound bar + sub, see whats the difference, please take a call accordingly. If you are very serious about sound, then there is a all together different world for sound, read more on Hi-Fi forums and be educated. Until then stick with the Samsung Sound bar, go for an upgrade only if you feel that you are missing something.

Hi karan,
Can you tell me the price that you paid for the 55 inch Samsung 6470 KU and from which store? Thinking of buying the same. Thanks!

I had a Sony and Samsung 32" TVs. Sony departed just one month after the warranty was over, and they asked me to spare almost 60% of the money I spent on it initially to get panel changed. I declined, and threw it in garbage. The service person who came to my home mentioned that it was the third sony TV he was attending due to panel issue on the same day... :mad:
My samsung which is now 8 years old is still going strong without any issue...

No more sony for me ....

I am not advocating for Samsung, but in TV market Sony is less reliable now a days.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back