Sony 8G vs LG C9

Love4sound

I am a Sony fan boy and my current and past Tv’s are both Sony. When I go to show room I don’t even audition other brands and only look at Sony Tv’s. But I have noticed most Fm’s have gone for the LG C9 over the Sony. Croma gave a quote of 1.7L for the Sony 8G and 1.3L for the C9. Checked side by side I liked the Sony but it’s not right to judge based on showroom demo. And also not sure what all specs that I need to check in a oled tv as I am totally clueless. Liked the 9G but is to expensive. And also can’t find the refresh rate specs for any oled tv’s. Would like owners feedback

You might want to take a look at this video to get an idea what Sony's X1 processor is capable of:

Not a perfect comparison in this context but I'm sure Sony OLEDs are better than their X950G.

You might want to take a look at this video to get an idea what Sony's X1 processor is capable of:

Not a perfect comparison in this context but I'm sure Sony OLEDs are better than their X950G.
Thanks for sharing this. Yes i always prefer the Sony Picture quality. It looks smooth and natural IMO

C9 beat A9G too in blind shootout by HDTVtest. Sony has slightly better upscaling and motion, but C9 is pretty darn close and is brighter and has HDMI 2.1 and VRR and a better OS. LG has been better than Sony in acknowledging and resolving issues too. Oh! Sony's ABL is also more noticeable than C9. It should cost more than Sony if you take features into account. Not worth the extra 40k tbh. Spend that 40k somewhere else, like on a 65 inch C9.

C9 beat A9G too in blind shootout by HDTVtest. Sony has slightly better upscaling and motion, but C9 is pretty darn close and is brighter and has HDMI 2.1 and VRR and a better OS. LG has been better than Sony in acknowledging and resolving issues too. Oh! Sony's ABL is also more noticeable than C9. It should cost more than Sony if you take features into account. Not worth the extra 40k tbh. Spend that 40k somewhere else, like on a 65 inch C9.
Ok how is the motion and contrast in c9? I prefer soft and natural image compared to vivid images

Ok how is the motion and contrast in c9? I prefer soft and natural image compared to vivid images

It's an OLED. Contrast is...perfect. Really can't get better. All OLED panels are made by LG display btw. C9 has good out of the box calibration too. Use the Cinema or ISF modes. Lots of guides available. Only minor tweaks needed. Motion on C9 is smoother than previous OLEDs even without any interpolation. How? I don't know. Rtings didn't answer, but many people who have had other OLEDs before noticed and mentioned. However, I don't like the OLED stutter, but thankfully, Trumotion Clear works well without introducing soap opera effect; only some minor artifacting in some specific shots, which happen really really rarely. Infact, I haven't see any this week. So overall, pretty satisfied. Way better than the Metz OLED I tried earlier. So just go for it.

Thanks for the detailed explanation. I’ll try to audition both side by side

You won't be able to spot blooming in brightly lit showrooms, but at home, especially at night, it'll be glaring. Nonetheless, play some space movies in HDR and see the difference. It'll be evident. In some cases, FALD sets completely crush the stars.

You won't be able to spot blooming in brightly lit showrooms, but at home, especially at night, it'll be glaring. Nonetheless, play some space movies in HDR and see the difference. It'll be evident. In some cases, FALD sets completely crush the stars.
Ok I am new to oled so could you please let me know what blooming is?

When comparing them side by side C9 and A8G - I found A8G to be lot of appealing and breath-taking. The richness of colors - motion and image processing was of another level. Loved what C9 had to offer, but loved A8G more.

Reliance Digital quoted me 2.2L for C9 and 2.6L for A8G. If I had to go - I'll pick C9. C9 just looked lot more complete.

And I am current Sony 42in TV owner. :)

When comparing them side by side C9 and A8G - I found A8G to be lot of appealing and breath-taking. The richness of colors - motion and image processing was of another level. Loved what C9 had to offer, but loved A8G more.

Reliance Digital quoted me 2.2L for C9 and 2.6L for A8G. If I had to go - I'll pick C9. C9 just looked lot more complete.

Ok I guess it’s the price for a 65 inch. I current own a Sony 43 inch and more then happy with the PQ.Only size factor making me explore oled

Ok I am new to oled so could you please let me know what blooming is?

So like I mentioned, only 50 zones. Often the bright portion on the screen will be smaller than the zone, like headlights of a car. If the bright area is smaller than the zone but still big enough to be lit, the entire zone will light up, causing the areas outside of the headlight to be brighter than they should thanks to low native contrast. In OLED, they can be black and many DV shows on Netflix have such shots a lot. Now if the area is much smaller, the algorithm dims it to be not as bright as it should be. In cases of stars, often they are dimmed too much.

Did you check whether both the TVs are in accurate profiles?

So like I mentioned, only 50 zones. Often the bright portion on the screen will be smaller than the zone, like headlights of a car. If the bright area is smaller than the zone but still big enough to be lit, the entire zone will light up, causing the areas outside of the headlight to be brighter than they should thanks to low native contrast. In OLED, they can be black and many DV shows on Netflix have such shots a lot. Now if the area is much smaller, the algorithm dims it to be not as bright as it should be. In cases of stars, often they are dimmed too much.
Oh ok got it. So this must apply to all oled Tv’s
check this video

Thanks will check it out

Oh ok got it. So this must apply to all oled Tv’s

Thanks will check it out

All OLEDs will have great HDR performance with some differences in tone mapping. Only Sony has lower peak brightness though by about 100 nits. Do you game?

All OLEDs will have great HDR performance with some differences in tone mapping. Only Sony has lower peak brightness though by about 100 nits. Do you game?
No I have a gaming PC. Tv only for movies and tv shows. I did notice the C9 was brighter in the showroom.

No I have a gaming PC. Tv only for movies and tv shows. I did notice the C9 was brighter in the showroom.

You need to put both the TVs in their accurate modes and then have the OLED light to similar levels too. Even then you can't really compare accurately because internal processing is different. Best to take brightness call based on professional TV reviewers, and all of them have measured C9 to be brighter in HDR by 100 nits or more and slightly brighter in SDR mode too with more relaxed ABL. Btw, ABL in LG OLEDs can also be further minimized by having contrast at 80.

If you have a gaming PC, just get a C9! With Nvidia 16 or 20 GPUs, you can have VRR over HDMI on C9 and HDR gaming too. It looks fantastic!

You need to put both the TVs in their accurate modes and then have the OLED light to similar levels too. Even then you can't really compare accurately because internal processing is different. Best to take brightness call based on professional TV reviewers, and all of them have measured C9 to be brighter in HDR by 100 nits or more and slightly brighter in SDR mode too with more relaxed ABL. Btw, ABL in LG OLEDs can also be further minimized by having contrast at 80.

If you have a gaming PC, just get a C9! With Nvidia 16 or 20 GPUs, you can have VRR over HDMI on C9 and HDR gaming too. It looks fantastic!
Ok I know c9 is good for gaming purpose as well but for my gaming PC I have an acer predator gysync 144hz 1 ms response time 3D gaming monitor and won’t use tv for gaming. Only movies and TV shows. Any ways thanks now I have some clarity with the oled tv’S. And yes like u said c9 does have better brightness in both sdr and Hdr

Ok I know c9 is good for gaming purpose as well but for my gaming PC I have an acer predator gysync 144hz 1 ms response time 3D gaming monitor and won’t use tv for gaming. Only movies and TV shows. Any ways thanks now I have some clarity with the oled tv’S. And yes like u said c9 does have better brightness in both sdr and Hdr

Ah! I can see that being excellent for fps games and multiplayer games. I personally enjoy playing single player story games on OLED a lot more. Bigger screen, more immersive. Plus, HDR! Cyberpunk 2077 is literally going to be lit! Can't wait! Good to have an alternate option though, right? Nothing goes in trying it out.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back