Sony A95K vs LG G2

Ketan

Hello Friends,
I'm looking for a decent OLED screen in the market. I'm looking for following features.

A fantastic display that can last a good few years - I'm going to use media players so no OS or features needed at this point.
This will be a second unit so will be dedicated for HDR content and movies mostly from OTT (I may use it for certain TrueHD, 7.1/Atmos downloaded movies as well to get that blue-ray disk experience) and some occasional gaming. I'd try to keep it mostly in the dark area.

Now, we know that the G2 is the brightest OLED by LG so far while A95K has got the QD-OLED and more or less the same brightness levels. However, the A95K has got the edge with the color volume parameters, shows better dynamic range ,DTS support (I'm going to connect my speakers to AVR so may not need that!) and has benefits of QD-OLED which we only have on paper at this point.
LG G2 would be a economical by a good margin when compared to A95K, with most OLED benefits and gaming abilities (which I can let go as I'm not into hardcore gaming) G2 stands almost there with A95K in terms of features and PQ and remaining economical. So, it seems very practical and logical to go with G2 at this point.

With the Sony Tax + Sony price, A95K would always be higher priced than G2. However, what do you guys think? At what difference in price the A95K would start making sense over G2 for a 65" size? Do you think QD-OLED can be considered over evo G2 panel that now has got heatsink and would almost have similar longevity as QD-OLED!! Keeping the budget limitations, should I even think of going with Sony 55A95K over LG 65G2?
Another question: Why LG is not giving 5 year warranty for the gallery edition units in India, why India market is ignored! This can become another +point for G2 buyers if LG can honor that.
Please let me know your views and inputs. Thanks.

Last edited:
Hello Friends,
I'm looking for a decent OLED screen in the market. I'm looking for following features.

A fantastic display that can last a good few years - I'm going to use media players so no OS or features needed at this point.
This will be a second unit so will be dedicated for HDR content and movies mostly from OTT (I may use it for certain TrueHD, 7.1/Atmos downloaded movies as well to get that blue-ray disk experience) and some occasional gaming. I'd try to keep it mostly in the dark area.

Now, we know that the G2 is the brightest OLED by LG so far while A95K has got the QD-OLED and more or less the same brightness levels. However, the A95K has got the edge with the color volume parameters, shows better dynamic range ,DTS support (I'm going to connect my speakers to AVR so may not need that!) and has benefits of QD-OLED which we only have on paper at this point.
LG G2 would be a economical by a good margin when compared to A95K, with most OLED benefits and gaming abilities (which I can let go as I'm not into hardcore gaming) G2 stands almost there with A95K in terms of features and PQ and remaining economical. So, it seems very practical and logical to go with G2 at this point.

With the Sony Tax + Sony price, A95K would always be higher priced than G2. However, what do you guys think? At what difference in price the A95K would start making sense over G2 for a 65" size? Do you think QD-OLED can be considered over evo G2 panel that now has got heatsink and would almost have similar longevity as QD-OLED!! Keeping the budget limitations, should I even think of going with Sony 55A95K over LG 65G2?
Another question: Why LG is not giving 5 year warranty for the gallery edition units in India, why India market is ignored! This can become another +point for G2 buyers if LG can honor that.
1) go for G2 65 if price difference is more than 25k as compared to 65" A95k.
2) marginal diff between them according to Rtings
3) you dont need 5 years warranty as G2 is made of a different isotope material and will last long.
4) QD-OLED has problems with ambient lighting plus 2 less hdmi 2.1 ports plus is not aesthetically good wall mount compared to G2.
5) LG has very good customer service
6) Heatsink advantage.

Hello Friends,

There are a number of third party insurances of various varieties which will not only cover repairs but also replacement if parts are not available.

In my opinion, unless it's a warranty that covers theft/accidental damage etc., it's better to get insurance.

1) go for G2 65 if price difference is more than 25k as compared to 65" A95k.
I think if the difference is 50-60k I’d go for A95K. The PQ is better, sound is better, processing is better and QD OLED will be more resistant to burn in.

Also A95K supports DTS which LG and Sony don’t
2) marginal diff between them according to Rtings
True, but if you’re a stickler for fine stuff the A95K is really really good.
3) you dont need 5 years warranty as G2 is made of a different isotope material and will last long.
QD OLED will last even longer
4) QD-OLED has problems with ambient lighting plus 2 less hdmi 2.1 ports plus is not aesthetically good wall mount compared to G2.
True
5) LG has very good customer service
Sony also does
6) Heatsink advantage.
Both have heatsink

I am also facing the same decision. In my case I prefer to keep the TV on table rather than wall mount, so G2 has that disadvantage for me as it doesnt come with a table stand. I will either have to buy off market stand for it (which usually suck) or wall mount it nevertheless.

I think I will go with 65 A95K if the difference between the two is <50k. Above that its a tough ask personally. Waiting for Diwali for final prices and decision.

I think if the difference is 50-60k I’d go for A95K. The PQ is better, sound is better, processing is better and QD OLED will be more resistant to burn in.

Also A95K supports DTS which LG and Sony don’t

True, but if you’re a stickler for fine stuff the A95K is really really good.
You mean "LG and Samsung don't"?
50 to 60 diff can add on to the soundbar 5.1 extra thats why i opined but yes that QD-OLED is tempting stuff with some niche feel good elements one can take pride on.

You mean "LG and Samsung don't"?
Yes, realized the typo later but can't edit the comment now.
50 to 60 diff can add on to the soundbar 5.1 extra thats why i opined but yes that QD-OLED is tempting stuff with some niche feel good elements one can take pride on.
Yeah, but that's exactly my point. If you have to go for a midrange soundbar with the G2, might as well go for the A95K and get the better TV overall.

I'm gonna audition both in next couple weeks and take a call which one I'm going with, and also to take a call whether I need 65" or 55" is okay. I shift my house often, so 55" G2 seems very tempting as smaller TVs are less likely to get damaged in transferring.

Yes, realized the typo later but can't edit the comment now.

Yeah, but that's exactly my point. If you have to go for a midrange soundbar with the G2, might as well go for the A95K and get the better TV overall.

I'm gonna audition both in next couple weeks and take a call which one I'm going with, and also to take a call whether I need 65" or 55" is okay. I shift my house often, so 55" G2 seems very tempting as smaller TVs are less likely to get damaged in transferring.
Yes 65" is messy in logistics. Do you still have the Toshiba FALD?

should I even think of going with Sony 55A95K over LG 65G2?
Well, its a no-brainer 65G2 will give you an immersive experience any day.

well lg India says 5-year assurance i don't know what that means. but you can confirm that with the dealer.

check here https://www.lg.com/in/tvs/lg-oled65g2psa

A95K is no doubt the best tv money can buy but I feel G2 is a more practical buy. Currently, 65-inch A95k is 50% more expensive than G2.I feel it does not justify such a premium.

Unless you are already using a 700nits WRGB OLED like C9 and you want to upgrade to QD-OLED.

Yes 65" is messy in logistics. Do you still have the Toshiba FALD?
I went to my parents’ place during COVID, and the Toshiba is here in Gujarat. It’s still running well and I’d say it was super worth it. The image quality is pretty good and it was really cheap.

I’m moving back to Bangalore in a week or so and hence need to get a TV for my own. I’m currently considering either the 55” G2, 65” G2 or 65” A95K.

I’m currently leaning on the 55” G2 as it might be easier to shift around as I move once every year or so. And the 55” C2 might make sense too as I’d probably just put it on a table than wall mount it. I’ll need to see the PQ difference between the C2 and the G2 before making a call

Ugh, it’s all so confusing.

I went to my parents’ place during COVID, and the Toshiba is here in Gujarat. It’s still running well and I’d say it was super worth it. The image quality is pretty good and it was really cheap.

I’m moving back to Bangalore in a week or so and hence need to get a TV for my own. I’m currently considering either the 55” G2, 65” G2 or 65” A95K.

I’m currently leaning on the 55” G2 as it might be easier to shift around as I move once every year or so. And the 55” C2 might make sense too as I’d probably just put it on a table than wall mount it.

Where do you work.

Where do you work.
I was working remotely for the past couple of years, but I'm in the middle of shifting jobs and all the options I have are unfortunately in Bangalore.

I have selected a job but might have another offer coming in the next couple of weeks and that might be more tempting.

I’m currently leaning on the 55” G2 as it might be easier to shift around as I move once every year or so. And the 55” C2 might make sense too as I’d probably just put it on a table than wall mount it. I’ll need to see the PQ difference between the C2 and the G2 before making a call

Try auditioning the mini-led X95k Sony as well. Just a $.02 idea.

C2 would be the way to go because of the added versatility unless the few extra nits matter to you (as it does for me - most noticeable recently while i was watching House of Dragons where the Sony X95G obliterated the G1).

C2 would be the way to go because of the added versatility unless the few extra nits matter to you (as it does for me - most noticeable recently while i was watching House of Dragons where the Sony X95G obliterated the G1).
The X95 has a lot of blooming around subtitles and in a dark room that brightness advantage won’t be much.

Also brightness isn’t so simple. In small speculative highlights even the best LCD won’t match an OLED.

I’m just not getting any LCD unless dual layer ones get common. The contrast, motion and input lag sacrifices are way too much.

Sony made the best LCD Tvs till that X95G model. But X95H onwards they have lost sheen. X95G has a picture quality almost on par with OLED plus its motion smoothing picture processing was top notch, was a master series model. They goofed up since X95H where in the wide angle filter inclusion dropped the contrast levels a lot. For 1.5 lakhs X95G was a masterpiece I let go at Croma by just one day - my bad luck. (Their Kolkatta center had it and i could have booked it with a token advance.)

Also brightness isn’t so simple. In small speculative highlights even the best LCD won’t match an OLED.

I’m just not getting any LCD unless dual layer ones get common. The contrast, motion and input lag sacrifices are way too much.
I prefer the motion on the X95G over the G1.
Sony made the best LCD Tvs till that X95G model. But X95H onwards they have lost sheen. X95G has a picture quality almost on par with OLED plus its motion smoothing picture processing was top notch, was a master series model. They goofed up since X95H where in the wide angle filter inclusion dropped the contrast levels a lot. For 1.5 lakhs X95G was a masterpiece I let go at Croma by just one day - my bad luck. (Their Kolkatta center had it and i could have booked it with a token advance.)
I believe I can relate to what you're saying. I tried demonstrating the "OLED" advantage to a few friends by playing the stars shimmering against the black night sky and other exemplars available on Youtube which supposedly demonstrate OLED's superiority over LCD but i was quite ashen faced when the Sony showed up just as many stars without any blooming or taking a hit to the brightness. On the other hand, the X95G blew away the G1 in brightness tests (most commonly available with samsung demos on youtube 😂😂 )

p.s.: - I checked the Rtings tests and the X95G performs significantly better in black uniformity tests over the X95J. No wonder I can't tell there's blooming in 99% use case scenarios.

Last edited:

I believe I can relate to what you're saying. I tried demonstrating the "OLED" advantage to a few friends by playing the stars shimmering against the black night sky and other exemplars available on Youtube which supposedly demonstrate OLED's superiority over LCD but i was quite ashen faced when the Sony showed up just as many stars without any blooming or taking a hit to the brightness. On the other hand, the X95G blew away the G1 in brightness tests (most commonly available with samsung demos on youtube 😂😂 )

p.s.: - I checked the Rtings tests and the X95G performs significantly better in black uniformity tests over the X95J. No wonder I can't tell there's blooming in 99% use case scenarios.
I am not exxagerating - that model 95G was compared to even the Z series. And for SD also it outperforms most other TVs. Even in that model the 75" and 85" versions had wide angle view filter so 65 " was a special one. Plus the X1 ultimate processor which even powered 8k TV product line had a judder free 24 hertz adjustment for sports viewing and it had a functioning google internet of things for home automation given free if claimed (basically a software with a scheduled installation provided by Sony if i remember it right which only Z series offered after that model) and its jet blacks was nothing short of OLED levels. It sold out within days of launch like piece of hot cakes. Natural colours and the list goes on. Demo pieces were sold at market rates. That kind of demand. 95H had no 65" in India release and 90H 65" was sold at 1.75 the next year and that was a downgrade for a higher price. It had the center channel sound sync with the dashing typical of all master series in Sony's stable. (95H did not). Plus the brightness hit 1200 nits and above consistently while 95H and later did not. Samsung took over as flagship from 2020 onwards in this segment.

As i said, it depends upon whether it matters to you.
Yeah, I guess. For me an OLED is the only thing I'd consider. My Macbook pro 16" has 2500 zones and even that can't hide the blooming around subtitles or deliver those specular highlights the way an OLED can.
This year's LG TVs have way better motion compared to previous gen.

Anyway, regarding motion I meant the overall motion characteristics including blur, persistence and response times. All of which are way better in OLED than LCD, especially for gaming. I did not mean the processing itself which will vary from generation to generation.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back