Sony adds 4K TVs - 55 & 65 Inches

viper08

Thats a good pricing for 80k more then the W950, one gets a 4k panel,4k processing and much better audio.

Hopefully very soon we will see very first 4K TV owner in HFV.

Even though it's still too expensive for masses, the difference will be in % and not in * compared to top of the line 1080p bigger displays.

Any takers? ;)

Whathifi awards 4 star to Sony 64 inch 4k TV....Here is the final verdict ont by them.

Sony KD-65X9005A review: verdict
Make no mistake, 4K content on this Sony TV looks stunning. But arguably and surprisingly the TVs sound quality almost steals the show. The new speaker design must have been a big gamble, but its paid off and raises the sound bar (pardon the pun) for future TVs.

In terms of picture performance the KD-65X9005A finds itself at a disadvantage. Its raison dtre is 4K, yet there is currently no consumable, native 4K content. The 4K clips that weve seen on this Sony 65in look spectacular and the content really cant come soon enough it isnt unreasonable to assume that anyone who splashes out 6000 on this TV will want to experience 4K material straight away. We would.

At the moment, the best you can do is feed it Blu-ray discs and HD TV. And, to its credit, the KD-65X9005A handles these lower resolutions well (if not flawlessly). This isnt the best TV weve ever seen, but its certainly fit for 4K whenever the format truly arrives.

The following excerpt really turned me away from even thinking of buying a 4k tv in the near future.

Watching standard definition Freeview is when you see this 4K TV working hardest. Here, the set has to do the most number crunching its effectively guessing 19 out of every 20 pixels on the screen. And, to be fair, Sonys X-Reality Pro picture engine copes with the task remarkably well, given a) the lowly resolution of the source material and b) the large screen size.

So one ends up watching 1/20th of the actual recorded content!!!

5 to 6 years ago, people like me were naive and jumped into HD bandwagon just by seeing demo contents of the HD TVs, only to find ourselves in soup for lack of content. The suffering continues even today with sites like youtube still having lots of low resolution videos(not even dvd quality).
Apart from that, it is illegal to download a video from any site. Only live streaming is legal. Due to bandwidth constraints, low resolution mode is proactively/by default opted for live streaming. In such cases it is hard to really get hold of a good dvd quality video streamed.

Or one has the only illegal option of downloading .mkvs of bluray rips.

In such prevailing conditions, why burden ourselves with a 4k tv which itself will be burdened to upscale one pixel to 20 pixels?

How much water do we want to mix in the milk?

The following excerpt really turned me away from even thinking of buying a 4k tv in the near future.

Watching standard definition Freeview is when you see this 4K TV working hardest. Here, the set has to do the most number crunching its effectively guessing 19 out of every 20 pixels on the screen. And, to be fair, Sonys X-Reality Pro picture engine copes with the task remarkably well, given a) the lowly resolution of the source material and b) the large screen size.

So one ends up watching 1/20th of the actual recorded content!!!

That's for SD upscaling only, mind you. For FHD upscaling the TV only generates 3 pixels for every pixel of FHD video. :p :lol:

5 to 6 years ago, people like me were naive and jumped into HD bandwagon just by seeing demo contents of the HD TVs, only to find ourselves in soup for lack of content. The suffering continues even today with sites like youtube still having lots of low resolution videos(not even dvd quality).

Well, you do have stuff like HD satellite TV and Blu-ray content to quench one's thirst for HD content, albiet at a price...

Apart from that, it is illegal to download a video from any site. Only live streaming is legal. Due to bandwidth constraints, low resolution mode is proactively/by default opted for live streaming. In such cases it is hard to really get hold of a good dvd quality video streamed.

It is not illegal to download videos from sites where such content is given away for free, legally, like, for example, the Blender Foundation.

How much water do we want to mix in the milk?

Well, expect the milk to be very watery when it comes to 4K. :)

In the US, I am told that every 84 inch 4K set comes with a PC containing 10 movies. Those 10 movies are changed every week as a technician comes to the house of a person owning such a set and swaps the HDD from the PC for another containing 10 more movies (all this for a fee, of course).

Dunno if Sony are planning on introducing such a service in India...

I agree with you totally. Especially the point that there is HD satellite broadcasting available for HD content.
But there could be more to it.

1) There is a huge collection of DVDs with us apart from a small collection of blurays. We would return back to our 1:20 situation with them.

2) There are lots of 80s and 90s movies/songs which are of low resolution. We need a player that re-masters them rather than upscale them. :eek:hyeah:

3) Regarding the youtube download thing, I think you are wrong. I am pasting the legal criteria below for all of us.

When you use any website you are normally making use of the content or services under Terms and Conditions published on the site even if you never read those conditions of use. For YouTube the important statements are currently paragraphs 4C and 5B (September 2011):

- You agree not to access Content through any technology or means other than the video playback pages of the Service itself, the Embeddable Player, or other explicitly authorized means YouTube may designate.

- You shall not download any Content unless you see a download or similar link displayed by YouTube on the Service for that Content. You shall not copy, reproduce, make available online or electronically transmit, publish, adapt, distribute, transmit, broadcast, display, sell, license, or otherwise exploit any Content for any other purposes without the prior written consent of YouTube or the respective licensors of the Content.
:eek:

Thanks.

I agree with you totally. Especially the point that there is HD satellite broadcasting available for HD content.
But there could be more to it.

1) There is a huge collection of DVDs with us apart from a small collection of blurays. We would return back to our 1:20 situation with them.

:lol:

Look at it this way, the TV is producing 19 pixels out of thin air for every pixel it encounters - Sheer Magic! :p And here I thought, making up 3 fake pixels for every pixel of image information was bad enough. :eek:

2) There are lots of 80s and 90s movies/songs which are of low resolution. We need a player that re-masters them rather than upscale them. :eek:hyeah:

You know what they say about garbage in/out. :p

3) Regarding the youtube download thing, I think you are wrong. I am pasting the legal criteria below for all of us.

When you use any website you are normally making use of the content or services under Terms and Conditions published on the site even if you never read those conditions of use. For YouTube the important statements are currently paragraphs 4C and 5B (September 2011):

- You agree not to access Content through any technology or means other than the video playback pages of the Service itself, the Embeddable Player, or other explicitly authorized means YouTube may designate.

- You shall not download any Content unless you see a download or similar link displayed by YouTube on the Service for that Content. You shall not copy, reproduce, make available online or electronically transmit, publish, adapt, distribute, transmit, broadcast, display, sell, license, or otherwise exploit any Content for any other purposes without the prior written consent of YouTube or the respective licensors of the Content.
:eek:

Thanks.

Well, those are you-tube's rules, but there are some other sites that actually allow one to legally download HD clips for free.

These FHD clips are available for free legally so I'm posting the links here:

http://divxtrailers.divx.com/BigBuckBunny-DivXPlusHD.mkv
http://divxtrailers.divx.com/ElephantsDream-DivXPlusHD.mkv
http://showcase7.divx.com/mobile/Sintel_DivXPlusHD_2Titles_6500kbps.mkv

Also, here's a page that has a few short 4k clips for download:

4K Test Sequences | Elemental Technologies

To my surprise, I was able to play the 'NEWS' 4K clip on my i7 3770K without any problem, whatsoever.

Last edited:
Yesterday had a demo of SONY 4K 65 and 55 inch TVs in JUMBO showroom, Dubai.
The picture and sound qualities are stunning
The prices are Dhs.29999 for 65 inch and 19999 for 55 inch including a free PS3 consol.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back