SONY AZ SERIES DHC-AZ5D

bedantabd

My 12 years old SONY AZ SERIES DHC-AZ5D home theatre system stopped working and all attempts to get it repaired have failed. Would like to know from the members if I can use the speakers, which are still is good condition with any AVR? If yes, please suggest a good AVR in the 20K to 30K range. I would like to steadily build-up / upgrade my system by discarding old speakers over time.

Please help.

Sony mostly use low impedance speakers/sub in HT system. It looks like in your case also it is a mixed bag of speaker impedance - Front L/R 4 ohms, Surround L/R 8 ohms, center 8 ohms and sub 2 ohms. You may refer this official manual. So you may need to find a AVR which can support (function well) with this hybrid impedance. Since you have a plan to upgrade speakers later I am afraid you may need to compromise on AVR for these old speakers. Though I am not an audiophile or an expert, based on my previous experience with Sony Home theater I don't expect these speakers are worthy enough to compromise on AVR purchase.

In nutshell, take care of speaker impedance and avoid compromise while selecting AVR.

Back