Sony BDP S-4100 offer - 5 pcs. 3D bluray discs + HDMI cable free !!

sguna13

Friends,
Yesterday I visited Reliance Digital at Chennai. Sony 3D Bluray player S4100 is available @ Rs.9990 (MRP Rs.13,990) with bundled offer of 5 nos.3D bluray movies & HDMI cable free. (The bluray titles are Amazing Spiderman, Toy Story 1, 2, 3 and Pirates of Caribean-4). How about this offer ?

I have seen good reviews about this player. however, I do not have a 3D TV and mine is normal LCD HD TV with HDMI. Can I watch these movies in 2D with the normal HDTV or I need a 3D HDTV ?

Thanks

I think it is an excellent offer. The 5 BD titles (that too 3D) will cost upwards of 5K if you buy it outside. That brings down the effective price to 5K for the BD. A 3D BDP will not cost anything less than 7/8 K minimum outside. So if you are planning one you may give it a serious consideration. But do read all the reviews before buying.

BTW, AFAIK HDMI cable is a standard accessory across all BDP.

Regarding the BD titles- most BD titles has an option of playing 2D, or in many cases has a separate 2D BD disc. But I think as far as I have heard from various forums, the Toy Story 3D (Boxset with 3 BD discs) does not have 2D BDs and I think there is no option of playing it as 2D from the same disc (lots of people were complaining regarding this). But you can confirm it independently about the status of the box offered free. I have Amzing Spiderman 3D and it has 1 2D disc included. The last one I don't have (I have the other 3 of the POC series in 2D).

Thanks a lot Manzb for quick response. This is a bundled 3D offer by Sony India (it is printed in the box itself that 5 pcs. 3D movies worth of Rs.6500 free). Since it is a free offer, I doubt whether they will give 2D disc also. It is mentioned 5 pcs. & hence I think they may not give original bluray box sets; The sales people are also not clear on the 2D option.

However, it is excellent offer for people owning a 3D TV and planning to buy a 3D BDP.

They normally gives what they retails outside. Last year I bought Sony S-490 with 2 BD titles- Tintin 3D and MIB3-3D. Though both are the regular retail with only one BD each, still both the BD has an option of playing the 2D movie as well. I own the Amazing Spiderman (Indian release) and it has a 2D disc as well. I am not sure whether they have now released only with the 3D disc, unlikely but possible.

I think Toy Story 3D is available only in the boxset with all the three movies, so in all probability you'll get the same boxset. No idea on the POC-4.

If you don't have a 3D tv, then what's the use of buying a 3D bdplayer? Planning to upgrade the tv soon?

And also consider the FREE titles of BDs you are getting with the player. Do you think the titles are of your taste? If so, you can consider it.

Recently I purchased a sony bd S1100 and got a bd of Dabangg 2 with it. But seriously, I wasn't really happy as Dabangg is not the kind of movies I tend to watch.

Thanks RMCWS. I don't have any immediate plan to upgrade my TV to 3D, that is why I asked whether these discs can be played in 2D.

Can you pl share your experience with S1100 on the following points, since it suits my requirement (I am in no need of 3D & wifi now; and prefer good audio and video performance, mainly upscaling since I have lot of DVDs).

- reads 1TB NTFS hard disc ? (I have WD Elements 1 TB)
- Audio CD performance, including FLAC !
- DVD upscaling. I have lot of English & Tamil dvds
- mkvs & mp4s with sub-titles for bluray rips

Your points are valid and I think I can go for this model. Pl share your views on S1100.

Thanks

Thanks RMCWS. I don't have any immediate plan to upgrade my TV to 3D, that is why I asked whether these discs can be played in 2D.

Can you pl share your experience with S1100 on the following points, since it suits my requirement (I am in no need of 3D & wifi now; and prefer good audio and video performance, mainly upscaling since I have lot of DVDs).

- reads 1TB NTFS hard disc ? (I have WD Elements 1 TB)
- Audio CD performance, including FLAC !
- DVD upscaling. I have lot of English & Tamil dvds
- mkvs & mp4s with sub-titles for bluray rips

Your points are valid and I think I can go for this model. Pl share your views on S1100.

Thanks

• It reads my 1TB hard disk.
  • Never tried FLAC though, so can't comment on this.
  • DVD upscaling is available. I have tried same dvd with my DVD player and S1100, and the picture upgradation is noticeable, at least to me.
  • plays sub-titles (srt files) for both mkvs and mp4s bd rips.

I got it for 6.5K (only with Rs100 disc from MRP) with a free bluray (free bluray are Dabangg 2, Zindagi na milegi Dobara and another English title which I can't remember now). And it is also acting as a very good media player for me as my TV (sony ex430) which was unable to support many formats from usb can be used now to play many more formats via this bd player. [It does not support those old avi rips - especially the axxo rips]

Thanks for your quick response, RMCWS. This player is available for the same 6.5k now with free Sivaji The Boss Tamil BR Disc in chennai. I enquired @ various shops and they are quoting almost the same price. I do not know why the superior model S4100 is offered with 4k discount, that too with 5 3D discs, but not this model. Both have almost same features except 3D, wifi ready & LED display (which is missing in S1100).

Planning to buy S1100 this weekend and share my views soon. I thank you & Manzb for your valuable inputs.

If you don't have a 3D tv, then what's the use of buying a 3D bdplayer? Planning to upgrade the tv soon?

Even if you don't own a 3D TV, buy 3D player as you will be upgrading soon or may buy a 3D projector, anything is possible.

+1. I bought a non 3D blu ray player 2 years ago and i regret it.I did not have even the slightest idea that i would buy a 3D projector. Buy a 3D blu ray player only.

Hello Experts,
I'm planning to go for SONY BDP-S4100, costing around 10K, free (5 title & HDMI). Is it worth. Is it region free, can i play any CD, DVD & Bluray (Pirated). Does it USB port support format like .vob, .flv etc. Also, i have lot of CD's & DVD's which I copied torrent's download can i play those disk in this model. I just purchase Sony W800A & those format (.vob or .flv & some .mkv) are not supported with it.

Mod

Hello Experts,
I'm planning to go for SONY BDP-S4100, costing around 10K, free (5 title & HDMI). Is it worth. Is it region free, can i play any CD, DVD & Bluray (Pirated). Does it USB port support format like .vob, .flv etc. Also, i have lot of CD's & DVD's which I copied torrent's download can i play those disk in this model. I just purchase Sony W800A & those format (.vob or .flv & some .mkv) are not supported with it.

Mod

As a matter of coincidence, I also have bought these two ..... W800A and S4100 today evening... few hours back from Reliance Digital ...... will answer your query soon .....

Purchased Sony S1100 BDP yesterday for 6.4k yesterday @ Reliance Digital with Sivaji BDP & HDMI cable free. Checked for playability of various formats.

Video : It plays almost all, mkv, mp4, avi (with xvid codec), xvid, mpeg1, mpeg2, vob & even flv. The only format it is not supporting is divx codec video.

Audio : Plays mp3, wav & FLAC too with all tag info.

Subtitles : Plays subtitle in separate SRT file in same folder as well as muxed

DVD upscaling : Have played some original english movies & ayngaran tamil dvds and find good improvement in picture quality. But you cannot expect any visual difference in low quality dvd or vcd, 700mb dvd rips, etc.

All these formats will work in S4100 also.

Only drawback is it only supports my harddisk which is FAT32 formatted. My other HD with NTFS is not supported. I have to format it in FAT32 and check.

Apart from this and nonsupport of divx, everything is fine with this player!

Last edited:
Only drawback is it only supports my harddisk which is FAT32 formatted. My other HD with NTFS is not supported. I have to format it in FAT32 and check.

Congrats on your new purchase. :clapping:
By the way, I think my hdds (both ntfs/ fat32) are supported. Will be able to confirm once I recheck again. However, usb of both ntfs/ fat32 works fine with this bd player.

Congrats on your new purchase. :clapping:
By the way, I think my hdds (both ntfs/ fat32) are supported. Will be able to confirm once I recheck again. However, usb of both ntfs/ fat32 works fine with this bd player.

Thanks and you are right ! It supports both NTFS & FAT32 formatted HDD (checked with one more HDD, NTFS format). My new Western Digital HDD ITB in NTFS format is not recognized by this BDP as well as my Samsung LED. I have not formatted on purchase and straightaway copied the files from PC. Will have to back up the files, format it & check.

Hello Experts,

Mod

Buy 4100 as it will play 3D movies as well. More movies are coming in 3Ds. Your future TV most likely will be with 3D facility. I bought a Sony BDP lasyt year, though I got my 3D TV only a month back. First of all the processing power of 3D BDPs are likely to be higher. Secondly with the 5 free BD titles, actually the 4100 is cheaper than 1100 considering that the price of those titles together will be more than 5K. I am telling you once you start using your BD to play original Blu Rays, you'll start buying them in tons, like I started doing that and many others.

I am sure it is not region free for BDs, but either region free form factory for DVDs or can be made region free using a universal remote. ACD, VCD can be played in Indian BDPs.
If some of those movie formats are not playable, then you can convert them to MKV or MP4 using free converters. That's not difficult.

Buy 4100 as it will play 3D movies as well. More movies are coming in 3Ds. Your future TV most likely will be with 3D facility. I bought a Sony BDP lasyt year, though I got my 3D TV only a month back. First of all the processing power of 3D BDPs are likely to be higher. Secondly with the 5 free BD titles, actually the 4100 is cheaper than 1100 considering that the price of those titles together will be more than 5K. I am telling you once you start using your BD to play original Blu Rays, you'll start buying them in tons, like I started doing that and many others.

I am sure it is not region free for BDs, but either region free form factory for DVDs or can be made region free using a universal remote. ACD, VCD can be played in Indian BDPs.
If some of those movie formats are not playable, then you can convert them to MKV or MP4 using free converters. That's not difficult.

He has already purchased a sony s1100.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back