SONY BDP S1100, Youtube HD video showing up at SD quality

gman

Hi all,
this was my first attempt to view internet content thru my BDP.
I am able to browse and search youtube, even pair my laptop for easy search etc.
But the video quality even for HD clips shows up in poor quality on TV.
Is this normal? Any workaround to get over this and view HD quality picture on tv?

Not sure if broadband speed is the issue...i get min 1MBPS or thereabouts.
There is no hiccup in the clip and it plays smoothly but with poor video quality.

Appreciate your responses..

Thanks,
Gman

Last edited:
When you are in youtube app there is an option to select quality..make it to high.

When you are in youtube app there is an option to select quality..make it to high.

Thanks Lake1988 for the quick response. I tried looking around but couldnt find any place where it had option to select quality. Could you please let me know which exact screen we can see that? Appreciate your help. cheers.

Thanks RMCWS, I am assuming you are referring to the youtube on laptop.

I am trying to play youtube content through SONY S1100 bdp connected directly to internet. The same content which looks HD on my laptop doesnt look as clear when played thru bdp on tv.

Sony custcare says since my tv size is 42" the quality is bound to be less. Not very convincing though...but if that i true then i am not sure how a blue ray player fails to deliver even the quality of HD channels of STB, which look quite decent.

Any other streaming option for viewing HD content (on TVs) from internet?
PS: only legal options please.

I guess youtube videos are configured for 17" display tops and that's why when we project them on to bigger size tvs the PQ is taking a hit.

I guess youtube videos are configured for 17" display tops and that's why when we project them on to bigger size tvs the PQ is taking a hit.
Hi gman,

I use a 46" Smart TV and i directly play youtube from the application. The picture quality is amazing, there will be no problem in the size of the TV and the picture quality from YouTube. Probably thats the maximum that Sony Blu-ray player can deliver from youtube.

Same video i tried with PS3, it was different in terms of quality and i feel the one which played from TV is best, when compared to PS3.

I guess the limitations of the devices matters :)

Last edited:
Whats your internet speed ? to see HD in realtime you require atleast 5mbps+. Also the apps in console are poling to get the best pic quality on the bandwidth. so if you have less speed PQ will definitely drop

@PGY, what is your internet speed?
@Krish199, i have 1MBPS now. I can upgrade to next level but that only gives 4MBPS up to 16GB only and later it drops to 560kbps.

In general, how many GBs does it consume for a 90min HD content? I know it can vary a bit, so any ball park number would do.

Also, it is confirmed that youtube HD content as such is not the source of the issue and it is definitely to do with the internet speed or the player. When i downloaded the same content in to an USB and play thru the same bd player it plays very well with good PQ on the same TV.

Last edited:
If TV has problem in buffering one suggestion can be to check if using youtube plugin of any media server Serviio, etc (running on a networked PC) if it is possible to stream the same HD content over upnp or DLNA to BDP

@haisaikat, I am not sure if tv playing a role in this. Looks mostly to do with buffering speed. From what i am seeing on the internet, 5MBPS is needed for HD content and mine is way too low..

Last edited:
If TV has problem in buffering one suggestion can be to check if using youtube plugin of any media server Serviio, etc (running on a networked PC) if it is possible to stream the same HD content over upnp or DLNA to BDP

I think he wanted to point out if there is any problem in buffering of that SONY S1100 player, 'TV' was just mistyped.

I think he wanted to point out if there is any problem in buffering of that SONY S1100 player, 'TV' was just mistyped.

Sure. i am keen to know if people found any other youtube player performing better than others. But, given 5mpbs is recommended speed for HD streaming i guess the internet speed is a primary bottleneck here.

I have 20MBPS still I am getting 720p image on my TV and did not have any option to improve the quality

@PGY, what is your internet speed?
@Krish199, i have 1MBPS now. I can upgrade to next level but that only gives 4MBPS up to 16GB only and later it drops to 560kbps.

In general, how many GBs does it consume for a 90min HD content? I know it can vary a bit, so any ball park number would do.

Also, it is confirmed that youtube HD content as such is not the source of the issue and it is definitely to do with the internet speed or the player. When i downloaded the same content in to an USB and play thru the same bd player it plays very well with good PQ on the same TV.

Hello, I have 100 Mbps ACT, FUP @ 250 GB.
I watch Youtube on my chromecast through Sony 40 Inch LED.

So it all depends upon on your internet speed. As some one has already pointed out, you need atleast 5 Mbps speed to watch 1080P video on youtube on your TV.
If it's less than 5 Mbps, then Youtube AI will decide which resolution will have no buffer while playing on your internet speed.

And to your next Q, in 1 Hour you will consume ~ 2GB data if you watch only 1080 P videos.

I hope you got all your answers.

Hi Music4mhell,

Still we have device restrictions right? If you try to play youtube videos in the particular bluray mentioned about your will get only 720P videos.. and there is not way to tweak it to FULL HD.

Hi Music4mhell,

Still we have device restrictions right? If you try to play youtube videos in the particular bluray mentioned about your will get only 720P videos.. and there is not way to tweak it to FULL HD.

yes, that's for sure, but i doubt a Bluray player's output resolution will be only 720P :rolleyes:

Specs PDF : https://docs.sony.com/release//SPECS/BDPS1100_mksp.pdf

It mentions "Full HD 1080p Blu-ray Disc playback & DVD upscaling"

So i don't think we have the restriction in this model.

Last edited:
Agree, If you play contents through USB or CDs it does output 1080p not from the apps installed in the player like youtube and netflix.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back