Sony BDP-S490 BluRay Player

DiNZi

Hi all,

I'm going to buy the Yamaha YHT-199 home cinema system very soon, Speakers with AV Receiver. I will be needing a BluRay player to go with this system, and I prefer to have one matching brands so either one of Sony or Yamaha is what I'll be buying as a BluRay player.

I've seen the Sony BDP-S490, which looks decent to me. I will mainly be using it for YouTube so it must be able to play the 'HD' videos, and also for playing big 1080p MKV files from an External USB hard drive.

So, does this player (Sony BDP-S490) play all/every MKV you have thrown at it? 1080p MKV in 2D and 3D without any problems such as lag/stutter? Will it play YouTube videos in HD? How about subtitle/chapter compatibility in MKV, does it allow you to skip chapters? Does it play subtitles if you drop it into the folder named as the MKV, must it be muxed into the MKV container?

Lastly, what is the model after this one, if this one isn't any good?

Please advise, appreciate your feedback, thanks in advance.

Hi

I am not really too sure about the Sony's performance....I used to use SONY standalone CD players (CDP S45) and so on...was great then...recently 2 years back their DVD player was ok. Pioneer rules the DVD / Blu Ray market with excellent products and good performance for videos and audio...

I use the BDP 150 and BDP LX 55 Blu Ray players....plays all files...(Region A or Region Free) players....can read easily a 1 TB external Hard Disk drive.....YouTube plays well...all depends on the bandwidth of the internet broadband line....would suggest you consider the BDP 160 which is the latest...these players firmware are upgradable later thru USB or download directly....

I am using a BDP-S490 since 2 years.

[1]It plays 1080p videos in mkv from external drive flawless in both 2D and 3D ( I saw quiet a number of 3D mkv movies played from usb drive) . But it doesn't support subtitles when played from a source through usb. No idea about chapters...I doubt if it supports!

[2]Regarding youtube, I tried to connect it through LAN by wire it is saying "physical connection not established". So was unable to try youtube though I presume all the settings and connections were very much there (I watch youtube through wifi in my tv but this experience is not helping me achieve the connection!!)

Instead of shelling 4000 bucks just for a wifi usb adapter which I will sparsely use, I will wait for upgrading to a better model ( probably a 4K player after HDMI ver. 2.0 standards are established) .

Till date BDP-S490 seem to be the feature rich model in sony.

Check comparison of two equally priced top models of sony in below link. Though BDP-S4100 is a new model but it seems to lack many features ( especially it doesn't have a optical out. Only a coaxial port. Where as BDP-S 490 has both!! ) that are present in BDP-S490. But being a newer model you can expect a longer firmware upgrade support in BDP-S4100 than BDP-S490.

http://www.sony.co.in/product/CompareProducts.action?site=hp_en_IN_i&models=BDP-S4100&models=BDP-S490

Do consider other companies to like a panny or Sammy too!! Invest wisely. All the best.

I checked a couple of days back with my WD MY PASSPORT 1TB with BDP-S490.Its saying "the drive is not recognizable" which I just formatted and plugged in. I hope this helps if someone is concerned.

I checked a couple of days back with my WD MY PASSPORT 1TB with BDP-S490.Its saying "the drive is not recognizable" which I just formatted and plugged in. I hope this helps if someone is concerned.

i use my seagate 1tb and 500 gb without any hiccups with my 490 bdp no issues for the past one yr. may be the probs is with ur formatting.

490 can easily recognise 1 TB HDD. Only issue is with FF and Rewind for majority of formats like AVI etc.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back