Sony Bravia vs everything else

siddharthdas

After researching TVs for years I have reached one inevitable conclusion - Sony TVs are superior to everything else. Period. It's their processor. Didn't really have a point of view on TVs. I am largely a high end DIY audio person. But then after years on owning bravia - made an unthinking upgrade (size) to an LG oled. And my goodness gracious!!! the pictures after every kind of possible calibration were *unreal* . For the first time ever, I realised there were real differences among TVs. I had always assumed that they'd be minor, if at all. Answer - NOT! Sonys are just in another league. I am sure after good calibration, others can keep up, more or less - but, just buy bravia and save yourself much much trouble. I also realised incidentally - that most reviewers are paid reviewers, or so I think. Search as hard as you might, you cannot find a review that says LGs offer oversaturated unreal pictures. The completely unthinking eye will not notice, the cable TV watcher will not notice, but the rest cannot miss it. And yet you cannot find a negative review on LGs. Of course this applies only to films and general multimedia. not games!

After researching TVs for years I have reached one inevitable conclusion - Sony TVs are superior to everything else. Period. It's their processor. Didn't really have a point of view on TVs. I am largely a high end DIY audio person. But then after years on owning bravia - made an unthinking upgrade (size) to an LG oled. And my goodness gracious!!! the pictures after every kind of possible calibration were *unreal* . For the first time ever, I realised there were real differences among TVs. I had always assumed that they'd be minor, if at all. Answer - NOT! Sonys are just in another league. I am sure after good calibration, others can keep up, more or less - but, just buy bravia and save yourself much much trouble. I also realised incidentally - that most reviewers are paid reviewers, or so I think. Search as hard as you might, you cannot find a review that says LGs offer oversaturated unreal pictures. The completely unthinking eye will not notice, the cable TV watcher will not notice, but the rest cannot miss it. And yet you cannot find a negative review on LGs. Of course this applies only to films and general multimedia. not games!
Only from their high end product stable. Their low and mid range are nothing spectacular. Ie 9000 series. Recently their 8500 also gets high praises due to its VA and 120 hertz panel. LG oled will grow on you though.

You are probably making some mistake in settings. I am guessing you have some kind of motion interpolation turned on. The reason that no reviewer says it is because it's not true. LG OLEDs are one of the most accurate displays that you can buy. LG makes the screen for Sony, so the processor can only do so much. If it were garbage, Sony OLEDs would be garbage.

Moreover, if something is more expensive, it must be better. Right? But, that is not necessarily the case.

I prefer the Sony A80J and A80K over the C1 too (own all three) but more for subjective reasons like better UI, better remote and other minor things like adjustable stand.

Oh yes and I should mention, I posted elsewhere recently too, I see Sony is about 10% more priced than equivalent LG and the fact that the built-in speakers include dual woofers, at least on the A80J, that sound pretty good obviating the need to get a soundbar, makes it worth that additional cost.

Note that my A80K doesn't seem to be as nice sounding even though the specs are the same, not sure if I've set it up differently or due to the room environment.

You are probably making some mistake in settings. I am guessing you have some kind of motion interpolation turned on. The reason that no reviewer says it is because it's not true. LG OLEDs are one of the most accurate displays that you can buy. LG makes the screen for Sony, so the processor can only do so much. If it were garbage, Sony OLEDs would be garbage.

Moreover, if something is more expensive, it must be better. Right? But, that is not necessarily the case.
Turns out, I am not your average fool. I am a slightly better informed, technically competent fool :). So I do know LG makes a lot of the panels in circulation. And the poor processor can not only do so much, it actually does most of the heavy lifting. I use all my panels with all processing turned off and with basic calibration, so alas I speak with a bit of experience. The x1 processors are good - that good. Although I have to confess I ain’t done Sony Vs LG for many months now. But last I remember LG processing was rather short of what Sony could do. Mostly it’s about colour rendering and edge definition. The overall effect is quite palpably different- better for Sony - not marginal stuff. so I shall have to respectfully differ. For real world programming, Bravia is a step, if not a leap ahead. Others will eventually close in. You can same or better by paying $$$$ for MadVR processing. But no. LG ain’t close and neither is Samsung. It’s something about not having invested into real time video processing.

This has been my experience too (over decades). Sony has always been unsurpassed, not only picture wise but sound too.

I too now buy only TVs after buying differents Samsungs for many years, and then buying an LG because it was cheaper than Sony.

I feel Sony processing provides more natural colours.
And I much prefer the Android TV OS and interface over Samsung and LG.

Even i had very good experience with Sony TV's for both picture quality and longevity. Wega 21" flat tv lasted for 17 years before giving to maid. Still running in her home, Same picture quality till date. Presently have 49" Sony as main living room tv. Sound quality is also very decent, not too loud or disbalanced. Any time i buy my next one it will be Sony.

In my limited experience, I have found that the Sony top tier models are excellent.
But their mid and low tier models are not that great.

I am not even qualified to give an opinion on TVS since i dont mind changing the settings and am happy with it, but if you compare at the same price range the Samsung/LG seem to do better than the sony. i got a 75Qled after doing those comparisons.
But again i still prefer a good plasma screen.

Last edited:
Turns out, I am not your average fool. I am a slightly better informed, technically competent fool :). So I do know LG makes a lot of the panels in circulation. And the poor processor can not only do so much, it actually does most of the heavy lifting. I use all my panels with all processing turned off and with basic calibration, so alas I speak with a bit of experience. The x1 processors are good - that good. Although I have to confess I ain’t done Sony Vs LG for many months now. But last I remember LG processing was rather short of what Sony could do. Mostly it’s about colour rendering and edge definition. The overall effect is quite palpably different- better for Sony - not marginal stuff. so I shall have to respectfully differ. For real world programming, Bravia is a step, if not a leap ahead. Others will eventually close in. You can same or better by paying $$$$ for MadVR processing. But no. LG ain’t close and neither is Samsung. It’s something about not having invested into real time video processing.
I moved from a very old Sony es series projector to a lg b series in 2017. After following the rtings recommended settings and little bit more on less on the settings, I could get very satisfying colors, especially with skin tones on the LG. But yes, the video processing of the Sony projector even 10 years older than the tv was indeed superior. Definitely my next tv is going to be a Sony OLED

Into my third SONY - Trinitron, LCD and now LED since 6 yrs.

In between had a Grundig CRT before the LCDs came. That trumped SONY Trinitron. Sadly Grundig is no more than a name now.

I Have a 2016 bought Sony KD-65X9300D model that wont play since yesterday. Luckily google took me to this article that claims a similar problem would be repaired free of cost. I have sent them an email with an attachment of that article. This TV was really bright with great colours and many forumers who visited me have been blown away by its PQ. I hope they repair it free of cost.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221221-043326_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20221221-043326_Chrome.jpg
    582.8 KB · Views: 24
I moved from a very old Sony es series projector to a lg b series in 2017. After following the rtings recommended settings and little bit more on less on the settings, I could get very satisfying colors, especially with skin tones on the LG. But yes, the video processing of the Sony projector even 10 years older than the tv was indeed superior. Definitely my next tv is going to be a Sony OLED
I suppose it is ultimately about subjective preference @Passive_audio_enthusiast because the sony's just do "natural" really well. In the world of projectors though the top-of-the-line Epsons aren't too shabby. In fact Sony recently released a trio of projectors at more affordable price points - total scam show. You beed to go to top of the range to get high brightness and an adjustable lens. Their entry level $6000 projector skips even an automated lens cap.

I had by then already bought the Epson LS12000B. I was agonizing about whether I should sell it and buy a Sony. Review after review waxed about how the Sony resolution is just that bit higher, and colour rendering perfect etc etc...and it is likely true. I asked myself another question - is the epson not delivering meaningfully from what I expect from a 4k projector at home? And the answer is "if not seen side-by-side under perfect calibration conditions no one will see the difference.

Although the epson does mess up some dark scenes - noticeably, I hope they will give firmware fixes on that - that's where the Sonys simply shine with pitch-perfect video processing",

I think I'll write a separate post on this - gear obsession vs enjoyment of music and media; possession vs to build etc. I think short of head-in-the-sand I shall NOT see the obvious kind of ignorance, just knowing what to get to and perhaps where to stop, is about as important as achieving the technical best.

I Have a 2016 bought Sony KD-65X9300D model that wont play since yesterday. Luckily google took me to this article that claims a similar problem would be repaired free of cost. I have sent them an email with an attachment of that article. This TV was really bright with great colours and many forumers who visited me have been blown away by its PQ. I hope they repair it free of cost.
Sony sent an engineer and he took pictures of the inner chasis and requested a power circuit chip from Sony. Sony responded by saying there is no spare part available and that I may just exchange it to a Sony X90k 65" new TV for Rs.1lakh 10thousand extra.

6 years it lasted. I have told them i shall get back to them. So i guess thats it then. A great 3D tv with superb brightness is gone. Richie street can be a hope. But any suggestions, guys?

Sony sent an engineer and he took pictures of the inner chasis and requested a power circuit chip from Sony. Sony responded by saying there is no spare part available and that I may just exchange it to a Sony X90k 65" new TV for Rs.1lakh 10thousand extra.

6 years it lasted. I have told them i shall get back to them. So i guess thats it then. A great 3D tv with superb brightness is gone. Richie street can be a hope. But any suggestions, guys?
Checked Ebay for a power module? Is this the one ?

Will it be shipped to India? I will check with the engineer if this is the area of replacement that will do the trick. Thank you so much.
The funny thing is it says shipping worldwide yet excludes most countries including India. If you have eBay account please check from India. Mine location being UAE I use USA store. We have no local eBay store.

If you got the part number it will be easier to search. If it's a chip to replace, it may help checking Moser, Digikey etc.

The funny thing is it says shipping worldwide yet excludes most countries including India. If you have eBay account please check from India. Mine location being UAE I use USA store. We have no local eBay store.

If you got the part number it will be easier to search. If it's a chip to replace, it may help checking Moser, Digikey etc.
They are now dodging. Not picking up my calls, not even responding to my watsapp message request for the board specifics in question that needs replacement. They are only wanting to see an exchange trade off deal stealing Rs.1.1 lakhs from me. I will go to Richie street for a solution.

Crap! Sony has started behaving like Samsung at after sales service requests. Trying to manipulate the customers.

They are now dodging. Not picking up my calls, not even responding to my watsapp message request for the board specifics in question that needs replacement. They are only wanting to see an exchange trade off deal stealing Rs.1.1 lakhs from me. I will go to Richie street for a solution.

Crap! Sony has started behaving like Samsung at after sales service requests. Trying to manipulate the customers.
That's disappointing but not new experience.

In 2006 or so I bought a Philips 25 inch for my parents. I left to my workplace (Abu Dhabi). My parents started complaining that TV was sounding worse than my Sony Radio. My father made a complaint to Philips Cochin. They went in and made it worse. The 70 year old was made to walk from pillar to post. The Regional Manager there was rude to him and not allowing in to meet him.

I took it up in my next visit to India and wrote a nasty letter to Philips VP in Poona with a copy to the RM. Sent the letter on registered post with ACK. I went to RM's office and was made to stand outside. I said I had a letter to handover and letter was addressed to their VP and also had the registered ACK card. Got a warm welcome with tea and biscuits. Some one went to parent's house with a new 29 inch TV and got it literally free.

Gave the same treatment to HDFC Bank too on a similar customer service issue.

Now you have Twitter, FB etc. try that route?

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back