Sony CRT TV.. stand by light not powering up..

_Pappu_

I have Sony Trinitron 14 inch CRT TV.. When switching ON from mains, tv is pulling current into it but red stand by light not powering up, hence tv is not starting.. so i want to know which part in the tv is got malfunctioned?

I just repaired tv 2 times by local tv mechanics, but each time tv worked fine only for 1 month, total 1300rs got wasted :(

Last edited:
Always repair sony tv from Authorized sony service engineer...don't repair it from local shop.

I don't like LCD TVs, bcoz normal Standard defination channls looks pixelated on it, LCD TVs are good only for HD channels..

That is partly true only if you are watching in a big screen. On a 22" or 24" LCD these artifacts are not visible. Use 4:3 mode and you can watch SD as in CRT.

Now adays there r no any CRT TVs remained in market, all showrooms r having only Lcd/Led HD tvs, but i am in search of the lcd tv which hv resolution approx 576i, bcoz SD channl also have same resolution, so is there any lcd tv available like this?

And also i dont want to purchase CRT tv now bcoz they r very heavy and takes so much space..

Btw nobody telling that which part in my tv got malfunctioned, plz tell approx by reading symptoms given in 1st post

It is probably the smps gone bad. Usually the repairmen use low quality smps and they won't last longer.

Last edited:
I can understand your love for the Trinitron! The picture clarity is amazing. I myself have a 21 inch Sony Trinitron. I prefer to watch this set over my LCD. In past, it has also gone bad but I made sure that I get it repaired at a Sony A.S.C. Try that option. Should work fine.

Saket

^ Yes, you got it correctly, sony trinitron have amazing pic clarity/quality, this is also one reason that is stopping me from leaving it....

Can somebody tell me that does LCD TV have any option to change resolution to 576i from 720i/1080i? Bcoz i think SD channls wont look pixelated by seting resolution to 576i. (plz note that i am not asking about aspect ratio, i knw that we can make 4:3 from 16:9 in LCD TVs)

Last edited:
Can somebody tell me that does LCD TV have any option to change resolution to 576i from 720i/1080i? Bcoz i think SD channls wont look pixelated by seting resolution to 576i. (plz note that i am not asking about aspect ratio, i knw that we can make 4:3 from 16:9 in LCD TVs)

There is no TV where you can switch native output resolution for any flat panel.
Its only possible in CRT.

^ Yes, you got it correctly, sony trinitron have amazing pic clarity/quality, this is also one reason that is stopping me from leaving it....

I would also suggest you to get the TV serviced at an Authorized Sony service center and I suspect its a problem with the power supply board. Most of the time when there is a problem with a Sony CRT TV it is due to the power supply board.

As for LCD TVs, your logic of thinking that 576i content will not look good at 720/1080i is right but there are many LCD TVs available today which display 576i in very good quality. LCD TV manufactures have developed image processing techniques which make sure that 576i is displayed without any loss in quality. I would suggest you to visit some showroom and check out some 32 Inch or lower LCD TVs playing cable/ DTH content and I am sure you will find a TV to fit your requirements.

For future feasibility, IMHO, I will not make too much sense for looking for 576i TV, If you find one is another matter. The thing is that now either most channels are already transmitting HD signals, or will shift to HD soon. Also, if you are using normal cable TV (which presently I am using too), this option will go out pretty soon. March is the dead line for our city. So, it makes sense to go for at least an HD ready TV with higher resolution. This suggestion is only if you plan to get a new TV.

I watch true HD contents on my LCD or PJ, but still prefer to watch SD contents on Trinitron, which is quite less. The picture quality is unbeatable, that I have to agree!

And the bottom line, HD is like tasting blood...if you get a taste of it, its really difficult to switch back to SD!

Regards.

^ yes, but i am using dd direct plus only, which is having all sd channls, i cant afford hd channls right now, and it will be very gud if all channls get migrated into hd, then i will also buy hd lcd tv....

I am thinking why these tv companys not makes tv capabilites to bear voltage fluctations? is it realy hard thing to make possible? Or tv makers want us to get new tv from them every after 3-4 years so that they can make money

Last edited:
Saket's analysis is to the point...
As of now contact sony service center and ask them what will be the cost of repair after service engineer check your tv...don't tell them that you have tried repairing from local shop etc.
Please do not buy low resolution lcd/plasma tv..complete waste of money.

^ Exactly what I will suggest for the time being as lake1988 says. Get it repaired, if you don't want it to let go for pennies.

There is no harm in keeping 2 TV sets as well if you want to upgrade to flat panels. The reason is that you will have to part with your beloved trinitron for a pittance if you want to sell it, either repaired or 'as is; where is' basis. So, it will be worth keeping it along for occasional viewing. For this same reason, I am not stuck with 3 TVs at my home! 2 you can see on my signature & the last one is a 14 inch Sansui that my parents bought for my room during my teens! All sets work fine.

Whenever you go for LCD/LED/ Plasma...try to go for max resolution available/ affordable. It will be particularly logical if you would like to connect your PC/ Flash drives with HD content for viewing movies & videos on TV (& hence full HD signal) which is actually 80% of my overall viewing!

Regards.

Last edited:
I would not advice getting rid of this CRT gem in favour of an LCD. Think LCD for large size only.

As far as getting it repaired, if you are in Pune, I will recommend my own repair shop who has given me excellent service for the past 10 years. He repaired my LG 29" CRT when the LG people gave up.

i want to inform you all that my this tv again started working automaticaly on 21 OCT 2013.. i didn't repaired it.. On 21 OCT, i just switched it 'ON' from main switch and to my surprise it started successfully.. Just one problem seems, it makes some sound like 'churrrrrr...' for 3-4 sec before lightening up standby light...

Last edited:
Back