Sony DVD Player can't Play DVD's and VCD's but plays all Audio C.D.

Hello
I recently purchased a second hand Sony DVD player from a second hand dealer. Model NO. is DVP-S550D and its Made In Japan and quite enough in size not like nowadays slim DVD player. It operates on 110volts and I purchased a 110 volt converter for this one. After I connect it with my amp and speaker I came to know that It Plays Audio C.D. very well and sound quality is like a standalone C.D. Player. But problem is that it cant olay almost 90% of DVDs and VCDs. Because I live in a small city Karnal so could not find a good technician. The one or two person whom I could contact in my city told me that the Laser is weak and because this model is made in Japan so availability of this part is almost nill. Then I go to Sony Service centre in Karnal. They also told me that they only repairs current Sony India models. But I m not sure that this is only due to lens weak. The reason I want to get this player repaired is the sound and picture quality which I dont find in current models. So please suggest me some solution if anybody here have the same or like model.
Thanks
Ashutosh

Do this-
1.Keep the player on without disc for 30 mins.
2.Clean the disc using a soft cloth along radius.
3.Play back it if still no luck
a.Try to open the player.
b.locate the disc tray and then laser pickup assembly.
c.use a new clean ear bud or some pointy cotton and ethyl alcohol or tape head cleaning liquid to clean the surface of the lens..be careful.
4.Then try to playback again.

Do this-
1.Keep the player on without disc for 30 mins.
2.Clean the disc using a soft cloth along radius.
3.Play back it if still no luck
a.Try to open the player.
b.locate the disc tray and then laser pickup assembly.
c.use a new clean ear bud or some pointy cotton and ethyl alcohol or tape head cleaning liquid to clean the surface of the lens..be careful.
4.Then try to playback again.

I have tried you method and applied it. But i have used petrol instead of Alcohol. But the problem is still there. After this process it has stopped playing audio CD also. and Please dont take it otherwise. I think lens section may be disaligned when cleaning. And sometimes it hangs also and after doing unplug from mains AC then it is normal. Any how thanks for your advice. Have a nice time
Regds
ashutosh

Why u used petrol.I mentioned to use ethyl alcohol or tape head cleaning liquid..u could've asked me before using petrol..
My 8yr old sony hifi got this issue one time..cleaned the lens very carefully..and the issue never occurred..

Last edited:
Why u used petrol.I mentioned to use ethyl alcohol or tape head cleaning liquid..u could've asked me before using petrol..
My 8yr old sony hifi got this issue one time..cleaned the lens very carefully..and the issue never occurred..

Now when i have done this mistake, is there any option left which can solve this problem ? If there something left to be tried, please advice me
Regds.
Ashutosh

After cleaning and before entering a disk please keep your player on for at least 30 mins.

Now when i have done this mistake, is there any option left which can solve this problem ? If there something left to be tried, please advice me
Regds.
Ashutosh

Go to the service center and change the optical pickup you destroyed your DVD player lens. :sad::sad:

Regds.
Ashutosh

Go to the service center and change the optical pickup you destroyed your DVD player lens. :sad:

Buying new may be cheaper than getting repaired. New DVD players are available for as low as Rs. 1000. Even the best ones are not above Rs. 4000.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back